1st watch, company gift, what to do
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 1st watch, company gift, what to do

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

1st watch, company gift, what to do

Hello everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research and reading the forums recently and finally decided to make an account to hopefully get some advice/guidance so please bear with me if some of my questions come off as uninformed.

For some background, I am 25 and just started my first job out of college about a year ago. I just found out that I will be getting a gift from my company for my performance and have decided to go with a nice watch to commemorate the event and also to serve as my first nice watch. I'm hoping to find something I can wear every day while working (in a suit) as well as on the weekends for more casual dinner/date occasions that will cost around $1k.

I know that I want something gold but also something not too flashy. With my limited research I've found a gold plated emporio-armani watch that I really like but I dont like the idea of gold-plated and from what I've read it may not be the best option. I've also been looking at some vintage Omega Seamasters in with Solid gold cases (I like a gold band which these dont have but I figured that was something that could be added).

I'd like to hear opinions from the experts on what direction I should head or where I should look to find something that will work well for my tastes keeping in mind the $1k budget.
    Name:  omega.JPG
Views: 784
Size:  127.3 KBName:  armani.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  113.0 KB

Re: 1st watch, company gift, what to do

A budget of $1k and the desire for a gold watch really don't match up. I'd avoid gold plating. You should either stick with your plan to buy a vintage solid gold watch (the example you posted is nice) or buy a stainless steel watch.

Also, I'd personally advise against 'designer' watches of any type.

Congrats on your success, and best of luck.
    bullshark and Quartersawn like this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

You have my vote for a vintage watch. The Omega you posted will certainly satisfy all your needs and can probably be had under budget. If you buy a vintage watch however you need to assume that it will most definitely need serviced. This can cost a pretty penny on a vintage watch, my Ball was just $200 last week for a service. Gold plated is OK but it isn't great. I certainly won't recommend the Armani. The main problem with gold plating is that if not cared for properly it will wear out over time. I've seen gold plating from the 60's that still looks great but it was taken care of.

I recently just bought my first gold plated watch and it looks good only time will tell how long it will really last thought. My advice is to just buy what you like your the one who is gonna look at it everyday. with a $1000 dollar budget you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something to satisfy your needs.
    Last edited by jeg5263; April 4th, 2015 at 23:54.
    "Buy the ticket take the ride"- Hunter S. Thompson

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Longines....No cheap a$$ Armani! You are a man now.....Time for a real watch.
    No gold bracelet, unless it's real gold, that's the first place the plating will rub off.
    You would be better to go steel, more bang for your 1K.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    No gold bracelet, unless it's real gold, that's the first place the plating will rub off.
    LBF always tells it like it is .
    little big feather likes this.
    "Aimez les montres"
    -Philippe Peverelli

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur M View Post
    LBF always tells it like it is .
    Some things just brings out the Father in me.
    rgdipietro, Domo and londonflash like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    Lol thanks for the advice, I never thought buying a watch would be this difficult. I know there are a lot of good options if I go with steel but personally I really dont like the way they look and I know if I got one I wouldn't wear it as much. I'm very open to suggestions right now as far as what watches may fit my needs but I know I need to stay with something with at least a gold case.

Aside from ebay are there any good places you guys recommend looking for a nice condition Omega or Longines (or similar)?

Quote Originally Posted by romeomikehotel View Post
    Lol thanks for the advice, I never thought buying a watch would be this difficult. I know there are a lot of good options if I go with steel but personally I really dont like the way they look and I know if I got one I wouldn't wear it as much. I'm very open to suggestions right now as far as what watches may fit my needs but I know I need to stay with something with at least a gold case.

Aside from ebay are there any good places you guys recommend looking for a nice condition Omega or Longines (or similar)?
    You could always try watchrecon.com. Also, while plated gold wears away on the case of a watch, a plated gold bracelet will wear away a thousand times faster. Vintage is a good bet, but when buying vintage, you should really know what you are getting or you could be stuck with a costly services bill. Good luck on this challenging quest of yours, and welcome to the forum.
    little big feather likes this.

Either buy vintage, where a solid gold watch can be had for 1k or opt for steel. Rather than being perceived as classy, gold plated Armani schlock may cause your watch to come off as tacky...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I'll echo others before me.. Go for the vintage definitely stay off a designer brand...also gold plating has a tendency to wear off unevenly and looks tacky.

Seiko Black Orange Monster Gen 2
    Tissot PRS2000
    Tissot Couturier
    Swatch Scuba camo
    Next in line -
    Chopard Mille Miglia 168511-3001
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay
    Seiko 6139
    -----------------
    Seiko SKX007J
    Seiko Monster SRP311K
    Tissot PRS 200 T17. 1. 486. 44