1st Watch Recommedation
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1st Watch Recommedation

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

1st Watch Recommedation

I知 looking to start my collection and hopefully pass this first watch down to my son. Can someone recommend a good watch manufacturer to start with? I知 open to newer micro brands or more established manufacturers. It has to be an automatic and I prefer simple designs. I really like the look of Carpenter watches but have read some bad comments about the movement. I知 looking to spend $600.00 or less.

Re: 1st Watch Recommedation

Hamilton, no question. Hamilton Field would be the best start, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, or a well made microbrand watch, like Prometheus, Borealis, Mk2. There is some care and attention paid to unique details among microbrands that are awesome.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hamilton or Tissot

I壇 say Seiko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mouse_at_Large likes this.

If only you had another 100 bucks or so you could get a pre owned Sinn 556 and never need to upgrade or purchase another watch
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

I recently had a similar question. I ended up ordering a Hamilton Khaki Field.

Stick with the big boys here, Hamilton and Seiko in particular. And you're right -- the Miyota 821A movement is a tad quirky. If you do decide to branch out into micro-brands, look for the ETA 2824 (somewhat hard to find at $600) or the Miyota 9015 (easier) movements.
    的 have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mhle-Glashtte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

I would take a look at a Tissot, Glycine or Fortis. You won't be overpaying for a brand and these typically have good movements. Apologies for a lack of pics but I am unfamiliar with the copyright rules on WUS.
    Luisli likes this.

If buying new, you can't go too wrong with Seiko and Hamilton as many have noted. Citizen have less of a fanbase on here but are still solid. At the really affordable end, Timex might be coming out with some interesting mechanicals very soon but there's only the Marlin for now. For something completely left-field you could look at a Seagull 1963. For well within your budget you would be getting a genuinely interesting and historically relevant mechanical chrono (with a display back, which is usually a particular plus for those getting into things) that stands out from the crowd. You just have to get over people's attitude to Chinese manufactured goods (you know, like all those crappy Apple products).

If you go with a reputable source for pre-owned (like trusted sellers on Chrono24 for example) you could get something quite interesting for that money. I understand you might be wary of vintage, but there's a lot out there for around that budget. As someone else noted, entry-level Sinn's are within grasp. If you do your research, I would personally recommend the pre-owned route.

Edited to add - forget the Seagull in hindsight. Not only is it a manual with a more busy design, but being a complex mechanical chrono that has been manufactured within certain budgetary constraints your son might not like the potential for the service and repair bills that this may throw up!
    Last edited by DilliTime; February 21st, 2018 at 06:22.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information