The 1yr curse; how long does your watch last before needing repairs? - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The 1yr curse; how long does your watch last before needing repairs?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: The 1yr curse; how long does your watch last before needing repairs?

Prior to WISdom I was a one watch guy. The cheap quartz I used to buy would last 5 years or so. Even then they were usually still working. I just replaced them when they started to look scratched and beat up. Since collecting watches I've only broken one. Was a winding pinion on an Oris. Note to others - go easy on winding those ETA 2824's!

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1760 View Post
    For as long as I can remember, each of my watches can't last more than 1 year.
    Finally, I got a G-Shock that lasted 8 years!

I have always been a 1-watch guy until I joined WUS 2 years ago.

During the past 2 years, I build up a small collection of 4 watches.
    Of those 4, 2 have failed. I had to replace the bracelet of a third.

I don't think I'm rough on watches.
    Accidents happen; my Casio failure was from < 3ft drop from night stand
    which knocked its minute hand loose.

The frequent breakage is preventing me from considering expensive watches.

So, I'm wondering: generally, how often does your watch break?
    What casio is that? Never heard or had it happen to me when I drop a watch the minute hands come off. I might have a cheap watch the the hands came off but the watch was a$4 watch.

Its a Casio Protrek PRG550. I really like the watch, but it's a bit too delicate for my uses.

Interestingly my watches don't have many scratches.
    I'm careful with my things, and I'd take off my watch if I think I'm doing things that might hurt them whenever convenient.

My watches look great until they suddenly die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Then I would have to point you at

SWISS MILITARY WATCH - 20000 FEET

The case is titanium, it has to be given the case size as it would be too heavy otherwise, so it can mark if you knock it too hard. However I think you would struggle to break it.

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1760 View Post
    Its a Casio Protrek PRG550. I really like the watch, but it's a bit too delicate for my uses.

Interestingly my watches don't have many scratches.
    I'm careful with my things, and I'd take off my watch if I think I'm doing things that might hurt them whenever convenient.

My watches look great until they suddenly die.
    I think within one year too, dropped my SRP023 onto tile floor by accident while putting it on, not used to leather strap back then. Surprisingly, no cosmetic damage, but ever since then, the watch has run a bit slower, but I put up with that. Otherwise, like you, I try to be super careful with my watches. I've developed new habits of moving my arm over time that protects my watches. No desk diving, no showering with a watch on, no vigorous activities involving lots of arm movements while I have a nicer watch on, etc. Keeps them nicer looking for longer.
    Last edited by rdoder; October 4th, 2015 at 13:09.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I've never had a watch break.

The closest I've come is when the springbar of a Hamilton popped when I hit it against the sideview mirror of my car and the watch dropped to the pavement. It left a nasty dent in a lug, but the watch still ran perfectly. I couldn't live with the damage so I eventually sent it away to Hamilton to be re-cased.

My Planet Ocean chipped the glaze of the floor tile it landed on after a three foot drop.
    The tile left a little scuff of the edge the watch landed on.

Didn't notice anything too amiss with the watch's performance but I guess I'll find out when I get it serviced, whether anything is abnormal inside.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by rdoder View Post
    I think within one year too, dropped my SRP023 onto tile floor by accident while putting it on, not used to leather strap back then. Surprisingly, no cosmetic damage, but ever since then, the watch has run a bit slower, but I put up with that. Otherwise, like you, I try to be super careful with my watches. I've developed new habits of moving my arm over time that protects my watches. No desk diving, no showering with a watch on, no vigorous activities involving lots of arm movements while I have a nicer watch on, etc. Keeps them nicer looking for longer.
    Your Seiko can be regulated. The jolt from the fall must have moved the regulating lever, it can be moved back
    rdoder likes this.
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

Iv'e never yet bust a watch though saying that my DJ did once stop working. That was a once in a lifetime experience I don't wish to re-live. Been faced with a dead Rolex isn't very pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    Your Seiko can be regulated. The jolt from the fall must have moved the regulating lever, it can be moved back
    You're right. I thought about getting it regulated, but I know that any time a watchmaker opens a watch, there's a chance that the watchmaker could break something. After all, he/she is only human, and I've read horror stories here of watches coming back after service or repair looking worse than before. Or at the very least, the movement will get dust/debris in there when the watchmaker opens it. The watch has a see-through caseback. Being OCD, I won't like the dust, I'd ask the watchmaker to keep cleaning it, and he'd want to kill me. Plus I think I'd need to pay for a watchmaker to regulate it, so being cheap, I don't bother. The watch runs maybe a few seconds slow a day, and I don't wear it everyday, so I let it be. Thought about regulating it myself, but I talked to some watch store people about that, and they said it's tricky. It's easy to move the lever too much one way or the other. Plus I don't have the time grapher thingie gadget or other watchmaking tools, so I just leave it for now and maybe it'd get fixed if/when I eventually get it serviced.
    Last edited by rdoder; October 4th, 2015 at 16:20.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information