2015 - Most worn watches and serial flipping!
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 2015 - Most worn watches and serial flipping!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rolling eyes 2015 - Most worn watches and serial flipping!

One advantage of keeping a spreadsheet from that tally thread (I started this year) is that you can summarize things nicely at the end and look back at your foolishness. I am only going to include those watches which were worn on 20 days or more in the year (only six watches qualified!), irrespective of how many days I owned the watch for (which was less than 20 in a few cases). Unsurprisingly, two watches lasted me almost throughout the year, and these are the most worn. However, there are a few surprises, read on. All six below were bought in 2015 and are currently gone to new homes.

Countdown begins, lets get to the numbers....

At number 6, we have the Halios Tropik SS - worn 20 days - 13 in Jan (was bought in Dec 2014) and 7 in March, sold in April. Very nice watch, just a smidge too small and I just cannot fall in love with white dial divers no matter how many I try.

At number 5, is the Stowa 1938 Chronograph - worn 28 days (this was bought in May and sold in early Sept). I incessantly complained about this watch, but I wore it very frequently while I had it, with a LOT of strap changes.

At number 4, is the Seiko Darth Tuna - worn 32 days distributed over September to November - absolutely loved this badass watch, and the SBBN013 was the version to have with the old Marinemaster hands. Tuna was worn 19 days in September after being acquired around 10th Sept. Sold it recently funding the Submariner. Will try to have another Tuna next year - maybe try the Spring Drive version if I can find one at a good price.

At number 3, is the Tudor Black Bay Blue - worn 34 days over October to early December - a stellar, stellar watch, and was a favorite but had to go recently funding the Sub. After I got it around 7th October, it was worn for 21 days in that month (which is a record high). Don't think I will have another now in the future though as it does overlap a lot with any Submariner. No regrets getting it, no regrets selling it - and trade value was higher than what I had paid for the watch, so retained excellent value.

At number 2, is the Sinn 103 St - worn 52 days in the year, and I owned it from late January to early December - I still think this is the best chronograph you can buy under $3000, and I would still prefer one over a Speedy Pro. Again, went funding the Sub . I thought about getting one again next year, but I think I might try one of the other Sinns, like an EZM 13 with the destro buttons instead - just for kicks. Sinn just makes sexy watches , period. It helps that I like tool/sport watches, and not dress watches. I was missing the acrylic crystal very much so I just bought a Smiths Everest . Between the bracelet and straps, this Sinn was as versatile as a watch can be.

At number 1, is the Damasko DA 44 - worn for a massive 73 days in the year and owned from early January to late October/early November. This is a really nice watch and I was very happy wearing it. Between this and the Sinn, I changed a lot of straps regularly and wore them a lot - my fav for the Damasko was a shell cordovan zulu. Kudos to Damasko over-engineering, their watches really are near impossible to scratch. Flipping/selling this watch was my biggest monetary loss by a large margin, but I still never regretted owning this watch because it was that good - its just not appreciated as much by everyone :lol: :thumbup:

In general, I have found that I enjoyed wearing the watches I had bought new more than the ones I had bought pre-owned, but being a serial flipper, I just can't afford to do that. I also see that I do not have a particular affinity for steel bracelets (maybe because they make the watch heavier, and thus slightly less comfortable) - so my choices need not be restricted in the future. This is also related to my lifestyle, which has been ultra casual till now. If I think I needed to dress up and wear a shirt with full sleeves and a jacket, I used to wear my Sinn on the bracelet over a dress(y) watch. Having the bracelet also helps a lot during resale. Rolex/Tudor, Sinn and Seiko seem to be my three favorite brands - and they cover the best of Swiss, German and Japanese engineering at the prices I am comfortable paying for a watch.

Powered by WUS, I was able to sell a watch for the first time in April (I don't do ebay). It was a slippery slope as since then, I have sold the following watches in 2015 (mostly all of which were also bought in the same year) -
    - Steinhart GMT Pepsi
    - Halios Tropik White/SS
    - Archimede Pilot 42 Blue PVD
    - Seiko SARB017
    - Seiko Shogun
    - CW Trident C60 Blue
    - Helgray Silverstone Green
    - Oris Aquis Maldives
    - Rado D-Star 200 Blue
    - Stowa 1938 Black
    - VSA Alliance Mechanical
    - Eterna Kontiki Four Hands
    - Damasko DA44
    - Bagelsport Nautilus Homage
    - Vostok Orange Scuba Dude
    - Tudor Black Bay Blue
    - Sinn 103 St
    - Sinn U1-T
    - Seiko Darth Tuna SBBN013
    - Eterna Kontiki Date White/Blue
    - Chr. Ward Trident GMT White/Red
    - Red Line Piston Chronograph Quartz
    - Seiko 6309 Mod 'Ocean Conquest'

The Rolex Submariner 16800 from 1983 (there will be a new thread on the Rolex forum with good pics) I got recently is also going to be at 18 days at the end of the month if I keep on wearing it, and I have only had it since 7th Dec and been traveling frequently since then. This is certainly my purchase of the year. Unfortunately, it also meant that the three of my other most worn watches had to go funding it (Seiko Darth Tuna, Sinn 103, Black Bay Blue). But all of them can be regained in the future with due patience, if needed.

Going to stay with these for a bit, but the Seamaster will eventually go so that I can try something else. The Sub is pretty much indispensable.

All comments invited..
    Last edited by blowfish89; December 31st, 2015 at 05:51.

Re: 2015 - Most worn watches and serial flipping!

Great stuff, it's one way (and the way I did it/am doing it albeit with a much larger number of watches so far) to get to what you really like, the Rolex looks great, hope you enjoy it for a long, long time, if not, well that's ok too . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    Great stuff, it's one way (and the way I did it/am doing it albeit with a much larger number of watches so far) to get to what you really like, the Rolex looks great, hope you enjoy it for a long, long time, if not, well that's ok too . . .
    Thank you drhr, great compliment coming from you, and I agree - it might not be the rational way but its too much fun and a good experience going up and getting picky gradually.
    My ultimate goal for 2016 is to take my time and find one perfect modern watch to complement the vintage Sub - your blue 3239 makes the list.
    drhr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's a cool way to go - trying a bunch of things without getting tied down.
    What's the expression - 'access > ownership'.

Kind of wish I could do that but unfortunately I'm a serial polygamist.

Looking forward to the one that sticks. Good luck!

I like the Tuna

I admire your discipline and persistence, as well as your detailed accounting. I am guessing that part of what enables you to do this much flipping is that you buy used watches? Otherwise you would certainly go bankrupt (at least in your watch acquisition division of the household).

Getting ready to start participating in the WUS Sales Forum myself; held back a little by being located in South Korea.

Looking forward to your 2016 report!
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I like the Tuna

Would you suggest getting the SD Tuna?
    Domo likes this.

When I read that you keep a spreadsheet, I thought, "REALLY?" And then I thought actually maybe that would be quite fun.

Awesome report. Thank you for putting it together.

Great report. I might have to put something like this together myself.

Interesting to see the watches that were worn the most sometimes weren't owned for too long. Solid wrist time and then completely gone.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information