21st Birthday!!

Thread: 21st Birthday!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

21st Birthday!!

Hey Guys!

This is my first post! So please bear with me. Also, this is kind of long, as I do have quite a few questions.

I am turning 21 soon and my parents asked me what I wanted. I really had no idea, and they suggested a nice watch. (right now i have a fossil watch that i have been wearing for 7 years).

They asked me what kind...so basically...I am wondering what kind would be good?

I am looking for one that will last me for the rest of my life, and as being a college student, something that will hold up if I am a little careless with it, like if i dont set it down carefully on a table or if it may be hit a little on the airplane etc (even though I will baby it like no other). Also, this will probably be my only nice watch for a long while, if not my whole life. I do not want to keep on buying many watches. So, I think i prefer a metal band rather than a leather one. Also, I do not want it to be too expensive...somewhere maybe in the 2000 range, but cheaper is always better. But, they are pretty flexible on the price, because they want something for me that is meaningful and will last a lifetime.

I have a relatively small wrist, but I do like the normal mens size face of watches, as it makes my wrist look bigger and more blingy hehe.

So far I have considered:

1) Omega
    -seamaster, whether that be the 3000 or planet ocean or james bond
    -speedmaster
    2) Breitling
    - colt
    -avenger seawolf
    -superocean
    -skyracer
    -chrono avenger
    3) Tag Heuer
    -aquaracer
    -aquagraph
    -carrera chronograph

I think i am leaning towards the Omega or Breitling ones as Tag is kind of a step below. Is that right? Which Omegas or Brietling do you guys reccomend? Do you prefer one omega over another omega from the list? would you suggest any other types of watches from these brands?

So basically, what inputs, suggestions or opinions do you guys have? Should I look into other brands?

( i did see sinn, but my parents dont like the name hehe, plus its not as high class as omega or breitling) I also saw IWC and some other brands but they seem to be not as highly regarded as omega or Breitling. My mom asked if i wanted a rolex, but my Dad was like...that is more for older folks..dunno if its true or not.

I think a metal band would be best as that goes well with anything...am i correct?

Thanks again guys, I love this forum!!!!!
    Last edited by rydude07; October 28th, 2008 at 03:57.

Re: 21st Birthday!!

They are all good choices. Get the one that rings your bell. Personally I think Breitling SO is a killer watch!!!
    Last edited by Trendydandy; October 28th, 2008 at 03:01.
    Rolex GMT II,----gone!!!
    RGM 150 Grande Pilot
    Omega SMP (Bond),
    Ball Hydrocarbon GMT II
    Glycine KMU48/LE
    Movado Kingmatic 7750
    Hamilton X-wind
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono,
    Japy T08 Side Command Chrono,
    Japy T32 Diver,
    Japy Aquatic alarm,
    Tissot T-touch,
    several Citizen Eco-Drive's
    Traser Diver 6500
    Seiko Alpinist
    Seiko Spirit
    Seiko SRH006P1
    Accutron VX-200
    Accutron Breckenridge
    Aristo Drakar 2005
    Benarus Barracuda
    Zodiac Renegade
    7 G-shocks
    A couple of Russians
    few others....

Sinn is a well regarded watch around these parts and it's named after a man, so no negative connotations there. Check out IWC as well, an Aquatimer might be interesting. If your folks are willing to spring for a Rolex you're in good shape; there's a lot to choose from at that level.
    Cheers, Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Once in a lifetime watch, eh? As hard as that question is to comprehend for a WIS with a serious case of watch A.D.D., I would point you toward an IWC XVI. Classic design that will last, sturdy and a great bracelet. It also denotes a degree of sofistication. Seamaster GMT with a white dial will do it as well.

As a "once in a lifetime" watch, I would recommend that you stay with a timepiece in the 39mm-42mm range.

Let us know what you go with.
    Sláinte,
    Joe

Ive had a few Breitlings, so ill stick to those.. Im 26, so I guess we can relate on some level...

- colt - used to have one. Its a great watch. The dial is sporty, but classic enough to be worn to the office. Excellent water resistance. I love the high polished finish (a traditional breitling look). I got rid of it because it seemed a bit small for me. Go try one on and see if it works for you. Its pretty blingy (which I like).

-avenger seawolf - 2 versions. There is the titanium version, which has been discontinued but still available at some dealers who stil have some left. I dont think titanium would make a good "only" watch. There is also the new brushed stainless steel version with the stenciled numbers. Its rather large at 45mm, and its definitely a looker. The brushed finish sort of tones it down.

-superocean - just like the colt, but marginally larger, and an even higher water resistance. Cant go wrong with this one.

-chrono avenger - titanium, quartz. Not my cup of tea, but breitling quartz watches are among the most accurate timepieces in the world. Also interesting, is that the chrono pushers are fully functional down to the watches depth rating.

-skyracer - Lets start with the fact that its about double your $2000 budget. Its large at 45mm, highly polished, highly blingy, and has a very cool movement and bezel mechanism. This would be my choice.

If your budget can handle the skyracer, you might also want to check these out:

Superocean Steelfish - 44mm, brushed finish. Definitely near your price range. I had one but got rid of it for an Avenger Skyland. I like brushed watches, but I LOVE polished ones.

Superocean Chrono - 42mm, polished finish - Very versatile look. Can go diving or to the boardroom. Much more expensive than the non-chrono version, but since you mentioned the skyracer.

Avenger Skyland - 45mm, polished finish. More sporty than dressy, but I wear mine everywhere, with everything. Also above your limit, but...skyracer...

Good luck.
    Last edited by RJRJRJ; October 28th, 2008 at 05:03.

Those are all great watches....but if it was my choice, I would go with the Omega Speedmaster Pro "Moon Watch".

It's durable, has great history, classic looks, will look good with jeans and a suit and will still look classic in 40 years from now when you are 61.

In terms of a tough watch, I would learn more towards the Omega divers you listed - their mostly brushed finishes hide scratches better than a polished one. Oh, and once you start browsing here, there really is no "watch that will last my entire life" - you'll pick up the bug and soon one purchase will turn into ten!
    Lots of dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    In terms of a tough watch, I would learn more towards the Omega divers you listed - their mostly brushed finishes hide scratches better than a polished one. Oh, and once you start browsing here, there really is no "watch that will last my entire life" - you'll pick up the bug and soon one purchase will turn into ten!
    So you mean like the seamaster 3000, gmt or planet oceans? Those have brushed finishes? So i should get a watch that has brushed rather than polished?

Quote Originally Posted by rydude07 View Post
    So you mean like the seamaster 3000, gmt or planet oceans? Those have brushed finishes? So i should get a watch that has brushed rather than polished?
    I think even the seamasters have *some* polished surfaces on them, but less than your typical Breitling. If you want a unique but well made timepiece, check out some of the offerings from Stowa and Sinn - very well made, and none of the pretentiousness of Omega/Breitling/Tag. Also, some of the higher end Seiko and Orients are excellent timepieces.
    Lots of dive watches.

I would suggest a Planet Ocean, check out what people say about the watch on here by doing a search.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information