2nd time back from the shop, let's see how it holds up now
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2nd time back from the shop, let's see how it holds up now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2nd time back from the shop, let's see how it holds up now

I bought a vintage JLC, it needed a tad bit of tlc so took it to Govberg, the local AD for repair. It cost a pretty penny, took a while to come full circle. All in all, it was a fine experience after a miscommunication (one of their staff people left, I was left in the wind for a bit) was cleared up.

Highly enjoy the piece, Albatros Moonphase Triple Calendar, for about four months, then it stops working. Whomp whomp.

I take it back to Govberg, they ship it off to Dallas. About a week after the expected delivery date (random estimate on my receipt) I call up saying I haven't heard anything. The Svc person checks into it and Dallas had shipped the watch off to Switzerland. Dallas didn't tell the Svc person, so there was nothing to tell me, cloak and dagger stuff. Switzerland has it for maybe another 4 weeks, and I get it back today.

I'm upset at myself that I forgot to tell them not to polish the watch, I enjoyed the worn luster look appropriate for its age. Now it's shiny, so it matches my wife's, but some of the soul seems gone. Also, there's an audible noise when hand winding the watch, that's new.

All said, I had a good experience, watch was under warranty, so it only cost me time away and nothing else. I got another full service of the watch, and am really really hoping not to have to send it back for a long time. I have the paper stating what they did, but the rep at Govberg didn't have any extra info to say what may have been wrong with the watch originally. C'est la vie.

A few days ago, when I was mumbling about this piece under my breath, my wife suggested I leave it to the kid (2 boys, so far) whom gives me the most trouble as they grow up. That's delicious, she gets me.
    rfortson likes this.

Re: 2nd time back from the shop, let's see how it holds up now

Sorry to hear about the watch problems, but based on your wife's suggestion, she's a keeper!
    RuggerAl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zenfrogmaster View Post
    Sorry to hear about the watch problems, but based on your wife's suggestion, she's a keeper!
    Perfect for a one wife collection! Hahaha

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk
    RuggerAl likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

service is always such a crapshoot...for how much money they charge us for service, you'd expect them to actually give an A+ experience every time
    RuggerAl likes this.

I live in Center City Philadelphia (in the Grad Hospital neighborhood) and walk past Govberg's store all the time. Glad to you know you have generally positive experiences with them. I've considered buying from them, from time to time, although most of their stuff is a little out of my price range. (I think their Ardmore store has the more affordable brands.) Enjoy the JLC! I've had service done by a few of the independent watchmakers in the city, but none of them seem that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviron View Post
    I live in Center City Philadelphia (in the Grad Hospital neighborhood) and walk past Govberg's store all the time. Glad to you know you have generally positive experiences with them. I've considered buying from them, from time to time, although most of their stuff is a little out of my price range. (I think their Ardmore store has the more affordable brands.) Enjoy the JLC! I've had service done by a few of the independent watchmakers in the city, but none of them seem that great.
    Yeah, Govberg is definitely not a cheap store, : P. My business there has been finding vintage watches (JLCs) and taking them there for repair. I'm a West Philly guy, work in CC.
    Grad Hospital is technically South Philly, or more appropriate, Southwest Philly. /pedantic

As far as watchmakers in the city, I've had general success with taking my pieces to NCS Jewelers, 721 Sansom St. Two man outfit, a sales guy and a repair guy. Mostly for bracelet adjustments (before I started clowning around attempting myself) but they have done repairs for me as well, reasonable prices. My wife put her Nomos Tetra through the wash, they were able to disassemble and reassemble dry it out, no rust, make it work without any issues. I had finished winding my Nomos Metro and butterfingers dropped it. The shock must've over wound it. Took it in, it worked great after he was done with it. And on another note, before my Govberg experience I took my watches to NCS and he looked over mine (had a moisture problem, subdial discoloration) and my wifes (her quartz movement needed a lube) and told me he couldn't get parts to fix them, no charge for the one over. The the JLC does have a complicated many faceted bracelet. He added some extra pieces after a lot of work and just charged me the regular price if I had two or three links removed, added for a screw-pin what not. /shameless plug

When was the last time you payed 5 Cents for a cup of coffee?
    Quote Originally Posted by lisine View Post
    service is always such a crapshoot...for how much money they charge us for service, you'd expect them to actually give an A+ experience every time

Quote Originally Posted by RuggerAl View Post
    ...Grad Hospital is technically South Philly, or more appropriate, Southwest Philly. /pedantic
    Funny, even as I was writing this I thought “I know G-Ho is technically part of South Philly, not CC, but it seems odd to call Pemberton Street a ‘South Philly’ neighborhood anymore.”

I took a magnetized Oris 65 to National Watch Repair and they were no help, other than taking off the back and ruining the seals. Raykin didn’t impress me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    When was the last time you payed 5 Cents for a cup of coffee?
    Well, if someone is paying 5 cents for a cup of coffee, it informs the expected service to accompany that rendered service.

I have never received a service involving a watch for 5 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviron View Post
    Funny, even as I was writing this I thought “I know G-Ho is technically part of South Philly, not CC, but it seems odd to call Pemberton Street a ‘South Philly’ neighborhood anymore.”

I took a magnetized Oris 65 to National Watch Repair and they were no help, other than taking off the back and ruining the seals. Raykin didn’t impress me either.
    My wife lived in an apartment on Pemberton St. for a moment while we were dating, small world. She was a block or so away from the new mini-Giant store (wasn't there at the time). I enjoyed visiting her because of Grace Tavern. I have never seen Balkan Express open, it must be a front.
    The next time you need something done and it's not under an AD warranty or the sort, give NCS a try.

Imagine how I felt when after 3 months I got my DJ back from Rolex only for it to run for just 4 weeks. The second time they did a rush job for me and it was only away for 2 months. Hope all is well going forward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information