3,000th Post - SOTC - Page 4
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 3,000th Post - SOTC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Very impressive, in 2 ways:

1. Great set of 4 watches. Perfect number to rotate through, and very nice balance between the 2 manually-wound icons and the other 2 watch enthusiasts favorites, covering 4 different styles.

2. You’ve “MADE” $3k on watches?! Wow.

Re: 3,000th Post - SOTC

Quote Originally Posted by atdegs View Post
    I think there's a consensus here that if you like a watch, but it's out of your budget, you should just wait and save up until you can afford it. Rather than wait, I've just gone ahead and bought other, cheaper watches that I liked in the meantime. If I don't end up liking them, or just get to the point where I can flip them towards the watch I really wanted, I sell them. By buying used and looking for good deals, and not being too impatient (most of the time), this has actually worked to my benefit by both making some money or at least breaking even on most of them, and by allowing me to try out lots of watches. If I had just waited to buy the Fifty Fathoms I really want, I'd still be saving and have no watch.

I just checked my watch-nerd spreadsheet, by the way, and I figure I'm up about $3k based on conservative estimates of the value of my current collection.
    I've made comments like that ("save until you get the one you want"), but it's more coming from my own preferences - (1) I won't buy used, (2) I won't buy something I haven't tried on and (3) I have no desire to flip

Banned

Thanks on both counts! It was a fair bit of work for both.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjames View Post

1. Great set of 4 watches. Perfect number to rotate through, and very nice balance between the 2 manually-wound icons and the other 2 watch enthusiasts favorites, covering 4 different styles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Also, just to clarify, I’ll only actually make any money if I sell everything, so I’m still well under what I’ve invested.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjames View Post

Banned

If you’re not willing to buy used, it’s definitely MUCH smarter to wait and save up. There’s really no way I could ever personally be sure a watch was a long term keeper though.

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    I've made comments like that ("save until you get the one you want"), but it's more coming from my own preferences - (1) I won't buy used, (2) I won't buy something I haven't tried on and (3) I have no desire to flip

Banned

nice love the reverso and speedy, for some reason I notice those two in collections together often

Banned

I've noticed that too. The Reverso was never really on my list, but a trade opportunity came up that made it a good opportunity to try out. I really like it. I think it's a good pair that covers a lot of bases. I've seen many people do those two as a full collection, but I'm not quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ThymeKeeper View Post
    nice love the reverso and speedy, for some reason I notice those two in collections together often

“None of which I had six months ago”....just epic.

Humbly conquering the world, one watch at time.

Horologically yours,

Rick

Banned

I think I can generally say that about my watches, lots of turnover. I had my Intra-matic for over a year though. Super long for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchNut22 View Post
    “None of which I had six months ago”....just epic.

Horologically yours,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by atdegs View Post
    I think I can generally say that about my watches, lots of turnover. I had my Intra-matic for over a year though. Super long for me.
    Well you are far more disciplined than me. I continue to acquire new pieces, but can’t seem to sell them as fast as I buy them. Love your collection.

Horologically yours,

Rick

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information