3 stupid questions that I have to ask..

Thread: 3 stupid questions that I have to ask..

3 stupid questions that I have to ask..

I'm not really a watch aficionado.
    After browsing this forums quite a while, there are
    some phrase appears over and over again that I had never heard before.

1) What is "regulated or non-regulated watch" in auto watch?
    is "getting the watch regulated" something that has to be done routinely like once in every 1-2 year in watch repair shop?

2)What is "non-hack movement" ? or something like that...

3)What is "lug-to-lug" ?

ps:English isn't my native,so pardon me :)

Tnx

Re: 3 stupid questions that I have to ask..

Regulated refers to having a watch serviced so that it is optimally accurate. For example, a somewhat new automatic watch may be 10 or 20 seconds fast or slow per day, but after regulating it, it may be <5 sec fast or slow.

A "hacking" movement means that when you pull out the crown (winder knob on the side of the watch) the second hand stops rotating. Useful for determining the accuracy of your watch, and seeing if it needs to be regulated.

The "lug" is the part of the watch case that extends from the main body to accept the proximal portion of your watch strap or bracelet. Lug-to-lug measurement refers to the length from the tip of one lug to the tip of the other, and is often the largest case dimension (although in some oddly-shaped watches it might not be).

Does any of that make sense? I'm not an expert, but I've picked up those terms on this forum, just like yourself.
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

These are the best questions you can ask.

1) Movements have a degree of adjustment that allows a watch maker to make the movement run faster or slower. This is done with the aid of a heartbeat counter. In essence the adjustment allows the period of the balance wheel to be lengthened or shortened. The longer the period the "slower" the watch and of course the opposite applies. This is the basic regulation of a movement that is mentioned here when talking about mechanical movements. Quartz watches can be regulated. Different technology to state the obvious. But at the end of the day its about counting pulses of energy and making them add up to what we perceive to be the passage of time. Add them up too quick, time pass quickly add them up too slow, time seems to go slowly. It all depends on how you regulate the movement.

2) To hack a movement is to stop the balance wheel and therefore stop the movement until you release it. Handy when you set your watch in advance of the correct time and release it on the second when the time catches up. Great when setting several watches to a synchronized moment.

3) The longest dimension of a watch case. From where the strap is attached to the case to the opposite strap attachment or 'lug' sometimes called the horns. You also have the interhorn measurement usually 20-24mm on a mens watch. My 38mm Breitling measures lug to lug 43mm and interhorn 18mm.
    Last edited by SnapIT; May 4th, 2008 at 16:59.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So,what's the difference between regulated and (re)calibrated ?

Useful for determining the accuracy of your watch, and seeing if it needs to be regulated.
    Now I slowly understand what non-hacking/hacking movement is.But still not clear its relationship with quoted statement above.

And it seems my prediction about the "lug-to-lug" definition is right.. :)

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

The difference between regulated and calibrated, in this case (re)calibrated is misused but some would interchange the words thinking they mean the same thing. One is attempting to make the period of the balance as "regular" as possible having it rotate as near possible for the same number of degrees with each cycle. Lets leave it at that as one could spin off into a long explanation for no real gain. .

As to the quote, well, one can stop (hack) then start the movement exactly on a particular second/minute/hour (against, say, an internet atomic clock signal) then check back in 24 hours to see if the watch is "keeping good time". If the watch is out by many seconds then its something that can be judged knowing exactly which moment the movement was restarted 24 hours earler. If the bad performance is repeated over several days then this could indicate that the movement needs either service or simply regulation depending on how irregular the time keeping is at the end of the observation period.

And just for fun you can see that there are different types of lugs

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SnapIT; May 4th, 2008 at 12:20.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The "hack" capability of watches was primarily a military requirement. The intent was that several watches could be started at the same time and thus a number of widespread military activities could be synchronized.

This was something found to be very important in WW1, as commanders realized that things like artillery bombardments needed to be lifted before infantry moved in to the enemy trench system, but if lifted too early, they allowed the defenders time to organized a defense, all this many even more difficult as the artillery was out of visual range.

So, the artillery commander and the infantry commander synchronized their watches, then plan to lift the artillery barrage of the objective at time X, and the infantry would have to be about 100 yards short of the objective at time X.

The military's increase in the use of multi-plane airplane formations and multiple multi-airplane are another operation than required synchronization of watches, this time the pilot's and navigator's would be responsible to ensure that large bodies of aircraft did not try to occupy the same airspace at the same time.

The story behind the word "hack" is that one person's timepiece was considered the master clock, everyone else would stop their timepiece at 0 seconds, the master timekeeper would tell everyone the time his watch read and then as his second hand reached the 0 mark, he would give the command "Hack," which would inform everyone to start their timepiece.

One last comment, and something I remind my children from time to time: the only stupid question is the one that is never asked. Never be afraid to ask a question; the worst thing that can happen is that no one will know the answer...and that's where the greatest discoveries of history have often begun.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Thread Information