30 years, one watch, one wrist.
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 30 years, one watch, one wrist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

30 years, one watch, one wrist.

I am at work the other day, and I am talking to the manager at a new car dealership client of mine. He looks over and and says "Oooh I like your watch!" ( I am wearing a Citizens Perpetual Calendar on a new lizard strap that I think looks sharp, so I am happy it get's noticed ) I say "Why thank you, I just put a new strap on it that I am breaking in." He then proceeds to tell me he LOVES watches, and has a great time seeing all the different kinds that come through the dealership.

I ask him if he is a collector, he says "no just an admirer."

I look on his wrist and see a very nice vintage Citizens diver "ish" looking watch.

He then says.

"I own one watch that I got 30 years ago as a wedding gift from my wife, it has gone through 10 or so batteries, keeps great time, and I wear it everyday, it is the only watch I have ever owned. She got it for me because I used to be late for everything."

I think of several things then. Wow that is a great story! and WOW 30 years shows one durable watch! And then WOW 30 years with ONE watch! One! No matter how sentimental I don't think I could ever do just ONE watch.

How about you?
    Turnaround and ken_sturrock like this.
    Time is relative.

Re: 30 years, one watch, one wrist.

I'm just glad you found someone who wasn't bragging about his Movado.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal8500 View Post
    I own a Movado and am quite fond of it, not reall sure what you mean by this comment? Great story, this guy obviously has way more restraint than most of us, in 30 years I'll probably have gone through hundreds of watches and none will have the sentimental value of his Citizen, I bet his wife is flattered.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cal8500 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    I own a Movado and am quite fond of it, not reall sure what you mean by this comment? Great story, this guy obviously has way more restraint than most of us, in 30 years I'll probably have gone through hundreds of watches and none will have the sentimental value of his Citizen, I bet his wife is flattered.
    I think what he meant by that comment was there are quite a few people who consider Movado at the pinnacle of watches. My opinion on them is sure, they are great looking watches but for the price you pay for a simple quartz watch like that, you could get so much more for your money if you looked around at your options. When I first started getting into watches, my grail would have been a Movado. After educating myself, I learned I could get a nice automatic for a fraction of the cost. Just my opinion though. They are handsome timepieces though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    I believe he was commenting on a post from a few weeks ago I started.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/yes-...st-712153.html
    ken_sturrock likes this.
    Time is relative.

Banned

He surely got a top example, producion quality wise!! 30 years is not bad at all.

He obviously like to look/ see different designs, but is not really interested in having to buy them. Lucky wife, I say!
    geoffbot likes this.

Banned

I can't imagine being married for 30 years,much less wearing the same watch.
    Nice story though.
    metalblade87 likes this.

....Waaaaiit a second!! He was trying to sell you a car!!

usa

Is that perhaps the best definition of a grail ???

Does a grail have to be luxurious or very expensive ? When a device serves its owner well for so long, would that be a grail ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTOG View Post
    I am at work the other day, and I am talking to the manager at a new car dealership client of mine. He looks over and and says "Oooh I like your watch!" ( I am wearing a Citizens Perpetual Calendar on a new lizard strap that I think looks sharp, so I am happy it get's noticed ) I say "Why thank you, I just put a new strap on it that I am breaking in." He then proceeds to tell me he LOVES watches, and has a great time seeing all the different kinds that come through the dealership.

I ask him if he is a collector, he says "no just an admirer."

I look on his wrist and see a very nice vintage Citizens diver "ish" looking watch.

He then says.

"I own one watch that I got 30 years ago as a wedding gift from my wife, it has gone through 10 or so batteries, keeps great time, and I wear it everyday, it is the only watch I have ever owned. She got it for me because I used to be late for everything."

I think of several things then. Wow that is a great story! and WOW 30 years shows one durable watch! And then WOW 30 years with ONE watch! One! No matter how sentimental I don't think I could ever do just ONE watch.

How about you?
    DaveTOG likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dedward View Post
    I can't imagine being married for 30 years,much less wearing the same watch.
    Nice story though.
    Both work well, if you decide you want it to work!

In fact, to wear the same watch for decades isn't abnormal. What we do is.
    DaveTOG likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information