36 is the magic number.
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 36 is the magic number.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

36 is the magic number.

Since I bought my 2504.80 Omega Aqua Terra a few months ago, I’ve learned that 36mm is the perfect size for my 6.5” wrist.

After owning various sized watches over the years from 46mm (cringe) downwards, I’m now all about the proportion and not what ‘I can get away with’.

Lug to lug is obviously just as important as case diameter but even large case/short lug pieces still (in my eyes) look too large on me.

What other modern 36-37mm watches are there out there besides the Rolex Datejust 36, Oyster Perpetual 36, Tudor BB 36, Grand Seiko 37mm?

Over the past few months I’ve taken my 7 watch rotation down to 4; the AT at 36mm, Longines Heritage Conquest at 35mm, Seiko SARB035 at 38mm and Seiko SKX at 38mm.

I love the looks of the SARB but would prefer it a tad smaller and thinner. I’ve been eyeing vintage Rolex Air Kings at 34mm and 36mm Datejusts but interested to see if I’m missing any other modern, mid sized examples from well know brands.

Any Basel rumours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.

Re: 36 is the magic number.

I have gone the opposite direction. 36 is way too small of me, after having a Datejust from 1994 to 2013. Right not my smallest is a 42. I have 2 of those, a 47,48,50. I want to get a Portuguese some day, they look like they wear larger than the 41. I wont like a Glashutte at 40 is also in my sights.
    OvrSteer likes this.

glad I'm on the muscular side and an 18cm wrist. wearing a 44mm watch comfortably proportionate to my frame. tempted to try a 46mm breitling chronoliner at an AD but that'd be the max end for sure. 40 to 42 is probably my "non-sport" sweet spot.
    OvrSteer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

36 mm isn't too small for anyone; we've just become used to larger cases.

Quote Originally Posted by NJWatcher View Post

One must consider being able to read them also. Wearing glasses isn't always perfect.

Interesting, I have been feeling a similar way in the past year or so. I also have a 6.5 inch wrist and when I was younger really loved big fat watches, often buying watches 42mm+. But in the past year I’ve been gradually gravitating towards smaller, picked up a 39mm alpinist and looking for a 38mm zenith el primero. Never tried as small as 36mm but I imagine it would look fine. Now all my big watches look ridiculous and I only wear them “casually” or are looking to sell. You have any pics with the 36mm compared to some of your larger watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Watch Obsessive, ptfly and tincob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watagump View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NJWatcher View Post

One must consider being able to read them also. Wearing glasses isn't always perfect.
    Yes, I'll give you that. But just taking into account size and nothing else, it can't be "too small." It was the normal size for men of all builds for years.
    Watch Obsessive likes this.

Different strokes. I have a friend with a larger frame but smaller wrists, and he likes to stay within 36-38. I have average wrists and 36 seems a bit small to me, so I prefer to stay within 38-40. But honestly when you find a watch that you love, the size preferences (within reason) tend to go out the window. For example I absolutely love my speedy pro, which is a 42, and the next watch I plan to buy, the Tudor Heritage Ranger, is a 41. It all depends. I absolutely love everything but the size on the ranger, so I'm willing to compromise. With watches there's this temptation to only get watches that 'tick all the boxes,' but as in anything else in life, you always have to compromise.
    Watch Obsessive and rfortson like this.
    Instagram @_the_eleventh_hour_

That's a great spot for me too. Love my Oris Aquis and Muhle Glashutte 29er. These aren't necessarily the style you're talking about but Hamilton has a couple - I know the Viewmatic has a 34mm version and the Khaki Navy Pioneer is 36. Stowa has some 36mm models as well.

Oh and Nomos! I want a 33mm Orion so bad I can taste it. The lugs are pretty big on these so they wear big, but they also have a 35mm.
    Watch Obsessive and Tonhao like this.

A larger dial is going to show off that dial more than a smaller one, that's what I like, with the fact being easier to read.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information