3D printed Tourbillon
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 3D printed Tourbillon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

3D printed Tourbillon

Saw this on the web, and thought of sharing it here: An Oversized 3D-Printed Tourbillon Reveals the Marvels of Watchmaking

What are your thoughts?
    dannorama and headless like this.

Re: 3D printed Tourbillon

Very cool!

Scale it down by 1000% and sell the design to Swatch to use in their plastic watches. I'm sure I wouldn't pass on a $50 plastic tourbillon wristwatch.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Makes me curious how advancement in 3D printing will reinvent/disrupt watchmaking.

Imagine downloading a template for a Swatch Tourbillion and printing it at home!

Like it, but the colors throw me off a little.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    Scale it down by 1000% and sell the design to Swatch to use in their plastic watches. I'm sure I wouldn't pass on a $50 plastic tourbillon wristwatch.
    From what I've seen and understand about 3-D printing, it's not yet able to produce things on that small of a scale, and with the level of finish required.

Give it time and I'm sure we'll see this technique used more often, in plastic and metal.

3 D printing is pretty interesting....in a way it removes fear that parts in 20 years will be irreplaceable void.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
    3 D printing is pretty interesting....in a way it removes fear that parts in 20 years will be irreplaceable void.
    I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before it can produce watch pieces. Metals are going to require a heck of a lot of pressure or heat to mold. Even Swatch isn't all plastic.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Thank you everyone! The scale is a result of the resolution capabilities of today's 3D printers. I agree - eventually printers will get better and we will be able to print smaller. Right now, I do all my 3D modeling in true watch scale. When I print a part out, I just scale to 1000%. I like 1000% because it's a direct translation between millimeter and centimeter.

The colors I chose are to represent the traditional material colors you would see in a movement - steel, tempered steel and brass. The great thing is that they are completely customizable. There are lots of different filament colors available, including neon colors, glow in the dark, wood based filament, etc.

The thing that excites me most is the unknown that additive manufacturing will enable. 3D printing makes easily possible what was practically impossible before.

Quote Originally Posted by nmanousos View Post
    Thank you everyone! The scale is a result of the resolution capabilities of today's 3D printers. I agree - eventually printers will get better and we will be able to print smaller. Right now, I do all my 3D modeling in true watch scale. When I print a part out, I just scale to 1000%. I like 1000% because it's a direct translation between millimeter and centimeter.

The colors I chose are to represent the traditional material colors you would see in a movement - steel, tempered steel and brass. The great thing is that they are completely customizable. There are lots of different filament colors available, including neon colors, glow in the dark, wood based filament, etc.

The thing that excites me most is the unknown that additive manufacturing will enable. 3D printing makes easily possible what was practically impossible before.
    That's your work? Wow!

I would hope that the watch companies are already experimenting with this, although there are some that will still use tradtional methods as a selling point.

If I understand correctly it's also not suitable for large-scale production due to it's speed, but is a great way for small cottage industries to reduce startup costs? It would be great if a few talented individuals could design and build their own movements.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information