WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

40 mm dress watch

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Duder 
#1 ·
My wrist is 6.5" and my daily beater is a 40 mm diver (Invicta 8926). The size of it is perfect. I also have a 37 mm dress watch which I find ok for a dress watch, but still a bit too small for my liking (Seiko SNX121K).

I recently stumbled upon a 40 mm dress watch and it looks phenomenal. I don't have the luxury of trying it out so I'm concerned it will too too big for a dress watch. I was told that the lack of a bezel around the watch will make a dress watch of the same diameter as a diver look bigger in comparison, despite being of the same size.

#2 ·
Yes, that's correct in general. Small bezel and big dial plus flat case with small lugs and white face are the elements that make a watch appear bigger. So what's the watch you liked so much? Reference number? Pic even?

You want to wear that with suit and tie, french cuffs? Is it an evening affair? For an evening affair 40mm is a bit big I find. My wrists are the same size as yours. I would probably not get a 40mm dress watch. That said, I also do wear a 46mm Ananta but that's a very casual watch. Given our wrist size I think 34-38mm is a good size. It should not be thicker than 12mm if it is really a dress watch. Under 10mm and you are getting into right range. There are some very nice and understated Citizen Stiletto (?) watches in that range. Is it one of those?

#3 · (Edited)
46 mm? Whoa, that's big... Two of the biggest watches I have include a 43 mm Bulova skeleton and a 42 mm B&R Homage (by Tao International), and that's my absolute limit.

The watch I'm looking at is a Graf Zeppelin. Diameter is 40 mm and thickness is 10 mm. Very nice. I'm planning on wearing it to work to replace the diver that I'm wearing, though I'll probably wear it to more formal events as well.

#4 ·
Yes, my friend, 46mm is big. But the trick is that the caseback is completely flat and the lugs are pulled down nicely. The bracelet comes down directly. There is less triangle space between the case, the wrist and the band than in many smaller watches I have. It really hugs my wrist. It does help, of course, that the top of my wrist is really flat. If your wrist are small and round, you're outta luck. ;)

Usually I try to keep it between 36 and 42mm. That works well.

So which model is it? The 7460-2? That's quite nice but the hands are way too small. It kills the watch, IMHO. Look around a little, do consider the Citizen Eco-drive range.

#8 ·
Well, from my fuddy-duddy point of view, the Seiko looks like a great dressy watch (I hesitate to label it a dress watch, due to it's day-date and relative thickness). If you want a larger dressy watch, then by all means go for a larger watch, but it would be a considerable stretch to call it a dress watch.

#9 ·
I'll give this some thought for another couple of days before pulling the trigger as I recently acquired a watch already...

enkidu, I know what you mean which is why I asked here, but I personally wouldn't be so attached to the definition of a dress watch so I think I can live with that size.

#10 ·
cynic said:
I'll give this some thought for another couple of days before pulling the trigger as I recently acquired a watch already...

enkidu, I know what you mean which is why I asked here, but I personally wouldn't be so attached to the definition of a dress watch so I think I can live with that size.
Of course! It's all good. Definitions are for clarifying our understandings with ourselves and each other. The best of luck in your search!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.