50mm watch, good movement, sapphire chrystal: good choice?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 50mm watch, good movement, sapphire chrystal: good choice?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

50mm watch, good movement, sapphire chrystal: good choice?

Hey,

I've been a lurker for quite some time here. My collection included Omega, Breitling, Citizen, Seiko and some other Russian models too, but now I'm on the lookout for a new one. I have a few wishes and I hope you guys can help me out in making the right choice.

first and foremost I want it to be at least 50mm. I have a 47 right now and that feels VERY petite (Citizen E210). I would like it to be as clean as possible with a bezel as tiny as possible too. The hamilton base jump has a case big enough but a huge bezel!

Also, I really want a sapphire chrystal. I've shattered quite a few mineral glass-chrystals and I feel I need a sapphire chrystal.

I don't mind if it's an automatic or quartz watch.

I have a budget around 775$...

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

PS: if you have a great suggestion that pushes my financial limit, that's fine... I was looking at U-Boat, too. I like the looks of U-boat: very bold yet kinda clean...

PPS: one last remark: no rubber straps or NATO straps. just leather or metal :)
    Last edited by Dukat; June 23rd, 2013 at 01:54.

Re: 50mm watch, good movement, sapphire chrystal: good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
    Hey,

I've been a lurker for quite some time here. My collection included Omega, Breitling, Citizen, Seiko and some other Russian models too, but now I'm on the lookout for a new one. I have a few wishes and I hope you guys can help me out in making the right choice.

first and foremost I want it to be at least 50mm. I have a 47 right now and that feels VERY petite (Citizen E210). I would like it to be as clean as possible with a bezel as tiny as possible too. The hamilton base jump has a case big enough but a huge bezel!

Also, I really want a sapphire chrystal. I've shattered quite a few mineral glass-chrystals and I feel I need a sapphire chrystal.

I don't mind if it's an automatic or quartz watch.

I have a budget around 775$...

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

PS: if you have a great suggestion that pushes my financial limit, that's fine... I was looking at U-Boat, too. I like the looks of U-boat: very bold yet kinda clean...

PPS: one last remark: no rubber straps or NATO straps. just leather or metal :)

Sapphire crystals are more likely to shatter. But more scratch-resistant.

Yeah, if you managed to smash a mineral crystal then if will be even easier for you to break a sapphire. As for a suggestion, sounds like you want a dress style watch in a 50mm case.... Not sure that exists. 47mm is very petite? I would love to see the wrist that makes 47mm look small!
    Gary123 and 9573 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

50mm? OMG thats huge, thats like dinner plate sized! I have an average wrist and 45 feels big on me. Uhh Panerai makes alot of watches like that. I reccomend them over U-boat.
    My slowly growing collection:
    Hugo Junkers Automatic Pilot
    Torgoen T28
    Torgoen T10
    Orient Black Mako
    Orient Bambino

Quote Originally Posted by Lazycollegekid View Post
    50mm? OMG thats huge, thats like dinner plate sized! I have an average wrist and 45 feels big on me. Uhh Panerai makes alot of watches like that. I reccomend them over U-boat.
    Pams still top out at 47mm though and accoring to the OP thats very small.

How big are your wrists again? Or is this the look you're trying to emulate?

If you have Omegas and Seikos, aren't they all much smaller than 47mm? Unless of course you have a Ploprof or a Frankenmonster.
    Last edited by mleok; June 23rd, 2013 at 07:07.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

If you truly want something 50mm+, U-Boat is probably one of your best options. Mine is 50mm square which is huge, but U-Boat also makes up to 52mm circular options with an automatic movement.

Name:  DSCN6885.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  60.9 KB
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

This is going well past your limit, but some of the IWC big pilots get close to your size requirement, as do some Zenith pilots.

In fact, at that size I can only think of two types of watches - pilots and Invicta... And I don't think you want the latter *shudder*

Sent from Russia.... with love.

I like watches.

Oris Prodiver.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post

How big are your wrists again? Or is this the look you're trying to emulate?

If you have Omegas and Seikos, aren't they all much smaller than 47mm? Unless of course you have a Ploprof or a Frankenmonster.
    yes, they were a lot smaller than 47mm :) Perhaps it looks right or maybe even large on my wrist to others but I find 47mm to be on the small side. A matter of taste, I suppose.

I'm not focussed on U-Boat, but they are one of the few I know who make a watch bigger than what I have at this moment, with a sapphire chrystal.

About shattering the mineral glass: perhaps the mineral glass on that particular watch was just a lot thinner compared with the presumably thicker sapphire chrystals, I don't know. All I do know is that sapphire never gave me issue over the last 15 years I'm wearing watches that aren't bought in your local spring fair ;) :P

I sold my Omega and Breitling because they were, indeed, too small for my taste. I'll go through the suggestions you made me, thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information