WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

55 Fathoms?

802 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  toomuchdamnrum 
#1 ·
Was wondering if someone could tell me what the novelty is of modding a Seiko with a Fifty-Five Fathoms dial? I see these all the time on forums, or for sale. I have several Seikos, but never considered doing this. Can someone fill me in?

#4 ·
The Blancpain fifty fathoms

Sent from paradise!

#5 · (Edited)
Interestingly, the Seiko model I have seen modded into the 55F is their model, SNZH55 which has a lot of 55F characteristics. It probably does not take much to make te conversion--at least compared to making an Invicta into a Black Bay. It seems last year's BB conversions are fading and this year it is the 55F. Curious they use 55 in their model number.

#7 ·
There are/were several version of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. A new standard one in steel will set you back about $10K and (arguably) is the best dive watch you can buy - for those who are 'into' such things . The Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms (100m) is about $150 new and has an almost identical (slightly smaller) case and similar hands. For the price of a new dial and bezel insert plus someone to do the work, you can have all manner of Blancpain looky-likees for not much money, something which appeals to many. If you still don't get it, don't sweat it.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Seiko FFF as it is without all the modding malarkey, though I do find it a bit blingy in some lighting. There are enough differences from the BP to make it a good looking watch with its own character - something intended by Seiko I'm sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.