6 year old hydro, service or not?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 6 year old hydro, service or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6 year old hydro, service or not?

Every watch I ever sent for repair came back in worst shape than before I sent it. Once not only did they add new scratches on the piece, but they didn't even fix the problem I sent it in for in the first place AND the watch flooded on the first dive.

Well, now my Hydro is 6 years old. It run to perfection, in fact, it is the most accurate mechanical in my collection. But it is 1 year past due on servicing, and I will most probably scuba with it, which get me a tad worried about the sealing.

So, should I send it in, or wait that something goes wonker with it?
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

Re: 6 year old hydro, service or not?

I assume you have not had the seals changed in that time either?

Is so then get it dry pressure tested first, to confirm this shows no issue. If it does not then get them to wet pressure test it. If that also does not show a problem then you should be OK.

But this is just talking about prevention of water entering the case. A mechanical movement does need some ongoing TLC, with re-lubrication at least if nothing more serious, to maintain its accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    Every watch I ever sent for repair came back in worst shape than before I sent it. Once not only did they add new scratches on the piece, but they didn't even fix the problem I sent it in for in the first place AND the watch flooded on the first dive.

Well, now my Hydro is 6 years old. It run to perfection, in fact, it is the most accurate mechanical in my collection. But it is 1 year past due on servicing, and I will most probably scuba with it, which get me a tad worried about the sealing.

So, should I send it in, or wait that something goes wonker with it?
    bullshark likes this.

I assume you aren't sending your watches to the same place? If you are, maybe it's time for a change of watchmaker.

Other than that, do what ChuckyH suggests and get it pressure tested first.

Going a year over suggested service interval isn't the end of the world, but if you find someone good who you trust its best to get it serviced sooner rather than later.
    bullshark likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Why would you fix a watch that isn't broken?

Really, get it pressure tested and call it a day.
    bullshark and EHV like this.

Agree w all the rest - if it is working fine, don't mess with it. Every time caseback is opened - it introduces a risk of someone screwing up something. If a problem develops - it will be roughly same price to fix as it is to do regular service.
    And water-pressure testing should be done if used in water. Seals replacement is much less risky than full service. (heck - if needed have them replace seals in front of you)
    bullshark likes this.

If diving I'd have the seals checked annually and replaced every other year. Additionally, I don't have my watches serviced until they malfunction or show a drastic loss of accuracy. Some argue that regular servicing prevents wear, which will cost more to correct when it does go in for service. I believe the money you save by stretching out the service intervals more than make up for the extra service cost.

Of course YMMV.
    bullshark and EHV like this.

I'd have it serviced before it was 7. The seals need checking ASAP so it might also be an opportune time to have it serviced.
    bullshark likes this.

I am in the dont service camp. Have the seal tested but as the service cost for when it stops running vs doing it now is usually the same, it doesnt make much sense to service it when it is still working.
    bullshark likes this.

please if working to perfection.. DO NOT have them open it up!!!! a 6 year old watch like yours was assembled with Syn, oils. and with no bad gaskets its fine for another 4 +++ years.

Now if diving it would be good to have checked. If its only 6 years old an you do not really dive only get it wet washing the car etc you are fine.
    bullshark likes this.

You know it would be good to tell us what Kind of Hydro too. Longines? Sinn ,or a Hydro from ebay.. If it’s a HYT hydro I would not dive in it if it has the exhibition back no matter what.
    bullshark likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information