75 Timex Q not working after battary change.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 75 Timex Q not working after battary change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

75 Timex Q not working after battary change.

I got this cool 1975 Timex Q a while back. It came with the box manual and warrantee card all intact. I took out the old battary ( it didn’t leak or explode) popped a new one in. The watch won’t start. It has been sitting for years is there a chance it’s just stuck some how . I had a citizen that wouldn’t start but after I rotated the bezel a couple times it started, I think the shock from the bezel clicking freed it up. Could this be a possibility with this Timex? Also the crown only pulls out two positions in is to change the date out is the time. I don’t know if that’s correct or if it’s just stuck in a hacking position? The instructions made it sound like there are only two position. If it’s the movnemnt and it needs to be replaced, is that do able? How much would it cost to be replaced ? What movement could be used.
    The bracelet in the picture is not the factory one. The factory bracelet didn’t fit over my 8.25” wrist or even my hand for that matter.
    Name:  BCA1DBAE-1EF6-4820-981B-3E52734AF8BB_1562515179611.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  1.28 MBName:  2A74E3E3-1E75-4239-94AC-445D8F9382A0_1562515157983.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  916.3 KB

Re: 75 Timex Q not working after battary change.

I used to have several Q's with the same movement. After changing the battery I would often have to "kickstart" the balance. You can try shaking it back and forth like a metronome first or give it a whack or 2 against your palm. If that doesn't work take a toothpick and very gently flick the balance wheel (underneath the plate where the spring is) clockwise.

Only addition to what Fergfour said is that the crown only has two positions. If you push it in, the balance should be free to rotate. A twist of a puff of air should get it moving.

No real possibilities for a movement swap other than from a donor of the same kind. Yours looks to be in excellent condition, though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    I used to have several Q's with the same movement. After changing the battery I would often have to "kickstart" the balance. You can try shaking it back and forth like a metronome first or give it a whack or 2 against your palm. If that doesn't work take a toothpick and very gently flick the balance wheel (underneath the plate where the spring is) clockwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    Only addition to what Fergfour said is that the crown only has two positions. If you push it in, the balance should be free to rotate. A twist of a puff of air should get it moving.

No real possibilities for a movement swap other than from a donor of the same kind. Yours looks to be in excellent condition, though.

Ok I will definitely try this when I get home. Do I some how leave the battery in when I’m jump starting it , or is it a try to beat the clock type thing where I have to do it with no battery then try to get it back together before it stops moving ??

Also I noticed that this is a jeweled movnemnt, is this one of those quartz that has to be serviced type things ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslate707 View Post
    Ok I will definitely try this when I get home. Do I some how leave the battery in when I’m jump starting it , or is it a try to beat the clock type thing where I have to do it with no battery then try to get it back together before it stops moving ??
    Leave the battery in. There's also a slight chance the newer battery you put in doesn't have enough juice. Happened to me a couple times which is why a bought an inexpensive battery tester.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslate707 View Post
    Leave the battery in. There's also a slight chance the newer battery you put in doesn't have enough juice. Happened to me a couple times which is why a bought an inexpensive battery tester.
    Put the new bat. In wacked it on my palm the second hand moved while I was hiring it but stopped when I did. I took the case back off while holding the battery in blew some air on the balance wheel with a puffer. The wheel would move but not stay moving. The battaries in my tester are dead so that’s not happening

I used to use a wood toothpick to gently touch the edge of the balance and with a quick flick give it a whirl. It might take a few times. You could try moving the wiper arm a few mm back and forth perhaps. Other than that you could try another battery. I took one of these to a jeweler once when I was first getting into the old electronics, they don't usually see movements like that and weren't very helpful. Here's another thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/de...z-4626079.html

Try putting the case together and the battery in. (I assume you're using a 303/357?) Give it some quick 90 degree twists like the dial is a jar lid and you're trying to loosen it and tighten it a few times fast. There might be some gunk that needs to get worked out. The fact that it moved at all is promising.

In theory, yes, these watches would benefit from a service. If you find anyone who will service them, let me know. My only lead has stopped working on these.

Sooo I got home popped the new batary in. Shook the watch left to right dial facing up like I was opening a jar. After about 3 minuets of doing that the watch took off and is tuning good buuuuttttt if I hold it crown pointing up the watch stops. Then you gotta jump it all over again. I left it on the counter running hoping it’s just a price of crud fought in there but only time will tell. I also turned the leaver to the right increasing the mainspring speeding it up that helped a bit but it still stops when held at the crown up position. Any ideas ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information