8/14 Update! Thoughts on my recent purchase? STP1-11 Emporio Armani... Diver?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 8/14 Update! Thoughts on my recent purchase? STP1-11 Emporio Armani... Diver?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8/14 Update! Thoughts on my recent purchase? STP1-11 Emporio Armani... Diver?

Hello All!

Long time lurker. Quick background, I have a low to mid-tier watch collection (Carl F Bucherer Patravi Power Reserve, Longines Conquest GMT, Ball Engineer Master II Diver & CFB Patravi Day Date). I usually do a LOT of research before purchasing any watch, but this purchase was one of my very few brash decisions. I *feel* like I got a good deal (in the end, that's all that truly matters, right?), but I'm curious what you guys think.

Long story short.... I sold my beater Hamilton watch that I'd generally travel with a few months back. Well, we are heading to Bermuda in a month so I started my search with the intention of picking up a cheap Citizen Diver or something. I realize I could just buy a cheap Quartz... or don't wear a watch in the water (especially the Ocean), but I feel naked with a watch :(

During my search, I quickly eBay'd Emporio Armani Swiss Automatics, as I remember WUS members going crazy about them, but I also recall they were more formal watches and far from the diver-esq watch I was looking for. Much to my surprise, it looks like they made a few watches with a screw down crown and rated at 300M/1000FT. While I have NO plans on diving with this watch, I do like having the peace of mind if I decide to go in the water, I should be good.

Thanks to some quick WUS information, it looks like this watch has the STP1-11 movement, which seems solid. Sapphire Crystal with AR Coating (which is hard to tell when it's just on the inside and the face is blue).

So without further adieu:

Name:  emporio3.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  68.3 KBName:  emporio4.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  67.3 KBName:  emporio5.jpg
Size:  80.5 KBName:  emporio.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  144.1 KBName:  emporio6.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  47.6 KBName:  emporio8.jpg
Size:  75.2 KBName:  emporio7.jpg
Size:  61.0 KBName:  emporio2.jpg
Size:  86.4 KB

It's also worth noting that the watch has a smoked looked to it (even the movement), so it's difficult to photograph.
    So how much did I pay? Well the "MSRP" is $1,695, which is clearly laughable. The eBayer had it listed at $895, which was still outrageous, so I took a shot and offered $350. After a little bit back and forth, we settled on $380. HOWEVER, this was when ebay had 15% off all items, so after shipping, it was $329.

It is new, but there was no box. I think considering it's specs, It was a decent pickup. ALSO, my first "nice" watch (or what I thought was nice) was a basic Emporio Armani Quartz over 15 years ago. Even though it was an over glorified Fossil, it's where my watch obsession started. So it's nice to go back to where it all began in a sense.

Sorry for the Novella!

Update:
    It's been 24 hours now. It appears to be running about 6-8 seconds fast, which is fine by me. I believe the watch was released 1-2 years ago, and I question if it was ever wound during that time period. A few likes/dislikes: The blue watch face looks good at certain angles, but head on in fool light it looks a tad cheap. The crown is a bit feminine, however, that's probably intentional. The majority of the watch has a glossy finish, but the sides of the case have a matte sliver, which is a nice detail. Overall, I'm quite happy with it. Name:  emporio12.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  820.1 KBName:  emporio11.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  683.5 KBName:  emporio9.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  569.2 KB

I apparently attract every piece of dust imaginable when I take a photo.
    Last edited by KWOJ; August 14th, 2018 at 22:57.
    OvrSteer, Robmks, brandon\ and 1 others like this.

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Re: Thoughts on my recent purchase? STP1-11 Emporio Armani... Diver?

A Swiss diver for 329.00? You did well, hope you enjoy the watch.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

Thanks! I felt pretty confident I had a good deal on my hands. However, I had nothing to compare it to, as this specific watch doesn't seem to hit eBay very often (or at all). So in the back of my mind, I was thinking.... did I somehow get hosed?

I just received it about 3 hours ago, so I'll find out if it actually keeps decent time :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you did really well! I have an Armani watch too that's automatic, but I don't think it has a Swiss movement - I only bought it because of its case, and paid quite a bit more than you did..
    Last edited by GTuned; August 14th, 2018 at 03:14. Reason: Spelling

I have a diver with stp1-11 movement and I have been really happy with it. You got a great deal

Only designed to dive into a poll of 'Perrier'.

You did well. It’s actually very good looking.

- - - Updated - - -

You did well. It’s actually very good looking.

It certainly looks nice. I like how the hour hand mimics the diver down flag.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    It certainly looks nice. I like how the hour hand mimics the diver down flag.
    Ha, good catch. I noticed that mark but didn’t know what it signified.
    Breitling Colt Automatic 41 - Carl F. Bucherer Patravi Power Reserve - Carl F. Bucherer Patravi Day Date - Bell & Ross BR123 Vintage - Longines Conquest GMT - Ball Engineer Master II Diver

Quote Originally Posted by KWOJ View Post
    Ha, good catch. I noticed that mark but didn’t know what it signified.
    I might be giving them too much credit, but it's a neat design feature even if it's by accident. I saw it and immediately thought diver down.

By the way, it's cool that you have a Carl F. Bucherer. I don't think they get enough love; some of their chronographs are really, really nice.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information