WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sapphire Crystal or Mineral Gla&a

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  lysanderxiii 
#1 ·
Sapphire Crystal or Mineral Gla&a

Hi,I heard that Sapphire Crystal is the best glass available for any desirable watch as their watch cover. The second best option available will be mineral glass. In terms of price,Sapphire will be more ex than mineral.It is also harder than mineral meaning higher resistance to scratch.

But I happen to know Sapphire is also most britter of the 2. Meaining it will shatter more easily than mineral.

For me,I will prefer mineral more than Sapphire cos of the shattering factor! I personally tested both 
sapphire and mineral scratch resistance lvl. Of cos, sapphire will be the best but mineral also performs quite well. I need to use plenty of strength before leaving a marking on mineral.

What i concern is ,if i accidently dropped my ex watch with the face facing down from quite high lvl. Plus usually high end watch is quite heavily and will provide additional force.

Chances are sapphire will crack more easily than mineral..

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Sapphire Crystal or Mineral Gl&#6534

Thatisjus t messedup ma n.

#4 ·

I think when typing that time,my pc got corrupted..:-s Seems unable to solve the issue. Hope is still reable for u all guys.

#5 ·

I like sapphire for its its ability to resist scratches but I would rather have acrylic over mineral glass because you can polish scratches out and it is the most impact resistant. Acrylic also has that old school feeling. Gsm

#6 ·

There was one time when my Citizen Nighthawk took a hit and I thought for sure I had put a ding in the scratch resistant mineral crystal. I had just got done cutting a 3" metal pipe.. then welded a bead around the end... then filed the edges down. My Nighthawk took a direct hit by that thing and it didnt leave a mark... I had to check my watch half a dozen times to believe it. Lets just say that I have a new respect for the scratch resistant crystal that Citizen uses. Im not sure if all the crystals are created equal but the ones they use on the Nighthawks are GOOD!

#7 ·
Re: Sapphire Crystal or Mineral Gla&a

Whomever can read the original post, should quote it, so others can read it. :)

To me, it appears as:

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

#9 ·

Hi -

There is another alternative: acrylic, aka plexiglass.

Acrylic scratches, but the scratches can be polished out. There are hardened acrylics as well that don't scratch nearly as much.

Mineral glass doesn't scratch as easily, but once it's there, it's there: you gotta replace it instead. When it breaks, it breaks in pieces.

Sapphire is artifical sapphire and is much more difficult to scratch (can be done, though!) and can even be hardened by various coatings (Sinn does this). When it breaks, it shatters into tiny pieces as it is more brittle, as you have mentioned.

What is the best? Depends.

For a high-end watch that will not see any severe use (sport, military) sapphire is appropriate because it will show the least wear over time. For a high-end military that is highly rated, sapphire can also be appropriate, under the caveat that a very thick sapphire is used to improve ruggedness.

For extreme altitudes and space flight, acrylic is the choice as it will give the most before failing, and when it fails it doesn't let tiny bits of glass/sapphire get into the equipment. Very bad when that happens. My diving watches have thick acrylic crystals as well. Remember, scratches can be polished out!

For the vast majority of lesser expensive watches, mineral glass is a very good compromise and allows the money you spend to be spent on the calibre inside the watch rather than the glass protecting the face.

A friend of mine has a Sinn 356 and was contemplating have the acrylic replaced with a sapphire crystal until he realized that he could have the acrylic one replaced a number of times before the cost came up to that of the sapphire. So once every several months, whenever he changes his toothbrush, he uses his toothbrush one last time with some nice white toothpaste to polish his acrylic crystal on his 365.

Works great, and you can't do that with glass or sapphire.

JohnF

#12 ·
Re: Sapphire Crystal or Mineral Gl&#

A friend of mine has a Sinn 356 and was contemplating have the acrylic replaced with a sapphire crystal until he realized that he could have the acrylic one replaced a number of times before the cost came up to that of the sapphire. So once every several months, whenever he changes his toothbrush, he uses his toothbrush one last time with some nice white toothpaste to polish his acrylic crystal on his 365.

Works great, and you can't do that with glass or sapphire.

JohnF
Hey John, I always find your posts very informative and this one is no exception. Had a question: Does the "toothpaste trick" work with Seiko hardlex crystals? :thanks

#10 ·

answered my question before i asked it:-!

my bm is going in for a new dial, and i was considering getting the crystal replaced with sapphire, as its my work watch ( firefighter)
looks like i'll be getting an acrylic.

#11 ·
Re: Sapphire Crystal or Mineral Gl&#

Arah!!! my eyes i cant see!!!

sapphire doesnt scratch (unless a diamond) but can shatter
Mineral is good also but it scratches very easily but can be polished out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.