About Airport Screening

Thread: About Airport Screening

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

About Airport Screening

Just a general question about airport security. How do you all handle the special watches you don't want marred or scratched rolling around in those little plastic tubs? Maybe I'm just being a little 'anal' but i've seen some of those things come rolling down the exit side, with content flipping and flopping all over, or even worse, a 50 lb bag landing on top of it.

Up until this point most of my travel watches are left to the G-shock line so i don't even take them off going through the metal detector.

gsm

Re: About Airport Screening

Well I have worn my Doxa T-Graph through the metal detector at the airport a few times and I had no problem. It is 202 grams on the scale. The first time I asked if I had to remove it and they said no. If they give you a problem I would ask them to hand inspect it. I would not be happy to see it go through x-ray. It would be like sending on of your kids through it. Gsm

I agree with gsm -- you really don't want it going through the X-ray machine. Airports can be busy and confusing places and it would be so easy for the watch to disappear. The record loss in Australia that I know about was a $30,000 necklace that was stolen after passing through the X-ray machine while the owner was being checked with the hand held wand. Security? It was actually a security guard who stole it!

I travel on about 50 or 60 flights a year, and if I'm wearing a good watch I'll usually take it off and put it in my carry on luggage, exactly the same as I do with my mobile phone, and for exactly the same reason.

If I'm wearing my travel beater, a Casio ProTrek, it goes through the scanner on my wrist. About one time in ten they will ask me to take the watch off and put it in the tray. X-rays won't hurt a watch and I've never had scratches from the plastic trays, the main concern is theft.
    Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Before I go through the metal detecctor I always take off my watch and put it in my carry-on luggage. I would NEVER put the watch into a plastic tub; it just screams "please steal me".
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

I travel quite frequently within the US and I've never been asked to remove my watch when going through security. I always wear mine through the metal detector and it has never set it off. If you're worried, then remove it and put it in your carry on bag before you go through security.

I only travel a couple times a year but it's usually with a dozen watches and a digital camera with several usb memory sticks a laptop and the list goes on and on...

I keep my watches in one of my carry on bags in a travel watch sock tube thingy and my wear watch I put in my shoe in the tub before it goes through the x-ray machine if I remember to take it off. I have never had problems with my watches but my camera bag stuffed with usb memory sticks gets looked at very closely and I get asked what brand it is frequently, I suppose if I stuttered they would blow it up just to be safe....

My Photobucket:

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions.
    Dear Bronze watches, I'm Just not that in to you, it's not me it's you, your stinky, and tarnished and look like crap and I'm not falling for your lack of charm.

If you ask me, the whole airport security thing is a complete joke and hassle. Why? Just sit back, relax and enjoy a little christmas story from 1stGSAR.

I had to fly for christmas vacation this year. Normally I would drive home for the holidays but a project at work required me to be back at work quickly. I bought a plane ticket from my current home to my old home town (where the family lives) for $450.

Arrived at the airport a full three hours early (flight was at 7:40am, got there at 4:30am.) Parked the car and went to the check-in. Line was out the door. Stood outside for 2.5 hours and didn't move. Airline rep was running up and down the line asking for people that were going to NYC (which I was.) He took me to the front of the line where a ticket agent asked my name and my destination. Then he asked how many bags I had. I had 1 checked piece and 1 carry on.

He took my bag and handed me the boarding pass and said "Hurry up and get in there." I asked about a luggage receipt and he said "I'm putting all of this on the plane right now it'll be there when you get there."

Since my flight was ready to leave I took off for the security gate. I took off my shoes, my belt, my watch, my hat and threw them into the scanner. I put my bag on the scanner and went through the metal detector. Grabbed my stuff and got on the plane. I was worried the whole time about my luggage. Would it get there? How would they know it had to be handed off at LGA?

I reached in my carry on luggage to get a piece of gum, and it hits me. I had two pocket knives in my bag. 3"+ knives. 1 was a Benchmade and 1 was a Kershaw. Both were folders with 3.375" - 3.5" blades. All metal. Sitting right in my carry on, in a top pouch. My carry on bag normally rides in my car with me and has emergency stuff in it. I thought I emptied it all before I got on the plane but I somehow missed a compartment.

Other stuff in the compartment? Matches, a lighter, a small box of candles, a centerpunch and the two knives. Great screening.

I got to LGA and there was my checked luggage. No tags just the bag. I lucked out completely. I'm still shocked that my emergency things made it through without any problem. I decided to mail that stuff back to me rather than chance it again. But it makes me wonder what the he#^@&# those screeners are missing and why they make us all suffer when they're not catching easy stuff like this. I don't know what I would have done if they saw it and caught it because I forgot it was in there. I would probably had to throw it out.

I don't want to say what airport I flew out of because I don't want to get in trouble but it's a pretty big airport in the south.
    Last edited by 1stGSAR; February 16th, 2007 at 05:14.

I travel about 200 days of the year. It took airport security 2 years to find the gerber multitool in my bag.

I prefer to take as little off as possible (shoes, and only if they tell me to), and will let them wand me instead.

Coming back from a trip last year, they asked my wife to remove her gold bangles and being right behind her, I put them in my pocket directly in front of the screener. When "challenged", I told her I'm not allowing them through the machine and they can wand me. I think they believe most people are really touchy about that because once I let it be known I was fully willing, they relaxed and didn't even ask for the bangles to be removed from my pocket during the search.

Matt
    If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you see devils tearing your life away. But, if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Well I have decided to do as follows, before passing under the metal detector I put the watch into one of the pockets of my jacket and pass it through the x-ray if not into my handbag and proceed the same way. So there is not danger of being stealed and I think the x-ray is not bad for the watch. or in case of doubt I go with my antimagnetic Ball.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information