About to make my First watch purchase ever! Omega seamaster - Would love your opinion!
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: About to make my First watch purchase ever! Omega seamaster - Would love your opinion!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

About to make my First watch purchase ever! Omega seamaster - Would love your opinion!

Hi Guys!

So a little backstory - Just accepted my first job at an Investment Bank, so it's time to treat myself to a nice watch that I intend to use for the next 10+ years on a daily basis.

I am not a collector and know nothing about watches, however just know that I would like a good watch for every day use that is somewhat luxury.

My budget is £1000-1800 - I've done a lot of research and have come across the following watch which I love the look of, and it's also an automatic which is a must (from what i can tell by reading this forum?).

Omega Seamaster! The following is the exact one I am thinking of purchasing

ebay.co.uk/itm/Fantastic-Omega-Seamaster-Professional-Co-Axial-Chronometer-Boxed-With-Papers/292423504589?hash=item4415cc92cd:g:QxoAAOSwALtaadE U

I'm really lost here as to whether this is a good purhcase, how to verify authenticity, will this watch last, and will it lose loads of value? etc etc... so many things I just know nothing about and I really don't want to get my fingers burnt!

I'd love to hear from some of the experts / collectors in here that have knowledge on watches on what I should do

Thanks again

Re: About to make my First watch purchase ever! Omega seamaster - Would love your opinion!

Welcome
    From your budget, with name recognition\luxury brand, and automatic - Omega SMP is a great choice and works well in banking environment.
    Authenticity, etc - as they say here - buy the seller not the watch. If seller has good reputation, it's your best protection for ensuring watch is authentic.
    Omega SMP is a versatile and a respected watch. So I think it's likely a safe buy (although this is not endorsement).

Others you can consider:
    - brand new Longines Hydroconquest, Hamilton Khaki Diver, Oris Sixty Five (GM pricing), Tag Heuer Aqua Racer
    this reducing any risks or concerns of buying pre-owned.

However, I'll share one more thought. You mention automatic is a must, because of what you read here. I respectfully disagree.
    Most folks here are watch enthusiasts, obsessed with movements, and focused mostly on mechanical watches
    For a newby like you, who is looking for a nice watch to wear daily - quartz makes a whole lot more sense. Mechanical watches require services, they also must be worn (or wound if unworn for awhile) regularly. Quartz is less hassle (except battery change every few years).
    Also, few people outside of watch world realize that mechanical watches (even luxury ones) are not as accurate as quartz. Just because a watch is $$$ doesn't mean it will be as accurate as $ quartz. Many folks just entering watch world are disappointed with their first mechanical after finding it can be off a minute or more each week.

Omega SMP has quartz models as does Omega Aqua Terra. These are priced close to your budget new in grey market (online sellers) and may meet most of your needs with no hassle of mechanical ownership and better accuracy
    jkpa likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Re: About to make my First watch purchase ever! Omega seamaster - Would love your opinion!

Good choice, the Seamaster will last easily the length of time you suggested with perhaps a service at some point. As far as retaining value it should keep its head above watch assuming it's in like condition as ten years. As Ender stated, the quartz option is one you should consider, the Omega is an excellent time keeper with the quartz variant.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Seamaster is nice but (too) common. If a diver is what you fancy why not try Tudor Black Bay, the 36mm or the 41mm version. Both within your price range new on the gray market, ex. Jomashop (so you don’t really have to bother with authenticity)
    Abandon all reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Welcome
    From your budget, with name recognition\luxury brand, and automatic - Omega SMP is a great choice and works well in banking environment.
    Authenticity, etc - as they say here - buy the seller not the watch. If seller has good reputation, it's your best protection for ensuring watch is authentic.
    Omega SMP is a versatile and a respected watch. So I think it's likely a safe buy (although this is not endorsement).

Others you can consider:
    - brand new Longines Hydroconquest, Hamilton Khaki Diver, Oris Sixty Five (GM pricing), Tag Heuer Aqua Racer
    this reducing any risks or concerns of buying pre-owned.

However, I'll share one more thought. You mention automatic is a must, because of what you read here. I respectfully disagree.
    Most folks here are watch enthusiasts, obsessed with movements, and focused mostly on mechanical watches
    For a newby like you, who is looking for a nice watch to wear daily - quartz makes a whole lot more sense. Mechanical watches require services, they also must be worn (or wound if unworn for awhile) regularly. Quartz is less hassle (except battery change every few years).
    Also, few people outside of watch world realize that mechanical watches (even luxury ones) are not as accurate as quartz. Just because a watch is $$$ doesn't mean it will be as accurate as $ quartz. Many folks just entering watch world are disappointed with their first mechanical after finding it can be off a minute or more each week.

Omega SMP has quartz models as does Omega Aqua Terra. These are priced close to your budget new in grey market (online sellers) and may meet most of your needs with no hassle of mechanical ownership and better accuracy
    Thank you for the guidance, I wanted a mechanical because I felt that when spending in the £1000+ range it makes sense to get value for money? Also I've never owned mechanical before and as I will be wearing it daily I assumed it would self wind sufficiently.

I did consider the longines however pref the look of the Omega, i've really fell in love with this.

Do you think this exact watch is a good buy?

Quote Originally Posted by kjr95 View Post
    Thank you for the guidance, I wanted a mechanical because I felt that when spending in the £1000+ range it makes sense to get value for money? Also I've never owned mechanical before and as I will be wearing it daily I assumed it would self wind sufficiently.

I did consider the longines however pref the look of the Omega, i've really fell in love with this.

Do you think this exact watch is a good buy?
    Yes and no. Yes - i think SMP is a great watch, versatile, recognizable, reliable.
    No - I think it may be slightly over-priced, it may now be approaching a decade in age and unknown service history - may need service soon, with coaxial movt - service may be a pain via Omega.
    Maybe, if you like the look - consider pre-coaxial SMP. The modified ETA 2892 movt in those will be easier\cheaper to service.

PS. I own SMP 2531.80 (bought new 11 years ago) and still wear it. Great watch and very versatile. Just walk into this with eyes open.

Name:  DSC05032.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  144.3 KBName:  IMG_2922.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  94.9 KB
    techchallenger likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Great choice. In the SMP (one of the few watches I advocate this for)
    Blue > Black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've a quartz Seamaster, and I love it! I would suggest take a look at the electric blue Seamastera, they're so gorgeous, whenever I'm wearing it I can't help but stare at it!

Some old pics I took to (try to) show off the dial.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Palmettoman likes this.

The pictures of your Omega seamasters are beautiful... EnderW recommended the Longines Hydroconquest, i've been looking into this and it looks really nice at a fantastic pricepoint, maybe i should opt for this one for now as my first ever purchase?

Banned

As pointed out in post #6. Service seems to be due. Where and how much will routine service cost?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information