About paying "full price"

Thread: About paying "full price"

Question About paying "full price"

Does anyone become a little disappointed when the only option to obtain the watch they desire in new condition is that they pay full price for it? Like with Rolex, Panerai, or some currently in-demand IWC models.

Do some of you think twice about paying more for a watch that was offered at a lower introductory offer? Let's be real it doesn't feel good to pay $4k for a piece if you know people paid $2k for it a couple of months ago.

Just curious.

Re: About paying "full price"

It doesn't really bother me to pay full price on a watch that always sells at full price because that is the way it is. You pretty well know what it will cost where ever you go. You can pay it or walk away. No haggle. I refuse to buy a watch that was sold at an introductory price and then marked up to a regular though. I think quite a few upstart companies are finding it easy to sell their watches at intro prices but are finding it tough to establish a "regular price."

What upsets me even more is seeing watches you know were bought at the into price being turned the day after the watches are marked regular price as unworn for a few dollars less than the new price. I guess that is the basis behind Capitalism though. Just changes the feel of watch collecting though. It used to be about buddies swapping watches. Now it is dog eat dog it seems.

Smurfe

I like to buy used at a fair price so I can turn the watch if/when necessary. But, if it's a watch I just can't find used, I'd rather get a good deal from an AD than continue to search forever. I figure the cost of buying new offsets all the time I'd otherwise waste searching for a used one over a couple months.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WX1

I don't have too many watches, but, only one of 'em (an auto', no less), I was able to purchase w/a discount. It's my only watch that gives me problems from time-to-time. So, I'm a big fan of paying the full price, and I like buying at brick and mortars at that (and thank God for the Internet where you can at least compare prices). Knowing I will buy at full price also makes me selective about which watches I want to get and also (as a bleed-off benefit) helps to create "non-clutter" within my collezioné, for lack of a better word. And I've gotten new, non-extracurricularly handled watches in paying full price (i.e., not the display case watch). So, yeah, I'm a big fan of paying at full price based on experience.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by gregfsu View Post
    Does anyone become a little disappointed when the only option to obtain the watch they desire in new condition is that they pay full price for it? Like with Rolex, Panerai, or some currently in-demand IWC models.
    No.

Do some of you think twice about paying more for a watch that was offered at a lower introductory offer? Let's be real it doesn't feel good to pay $4k for a piece if you know people paid $2k for it a couple of months ago.
    Would have been my fault not to buy at the introductory offer which I am not aware to have happened here in Germany regarding PP, Rolex, JLC, Blancpain, IWC, GO, Lange & Söhne and all the other high-enders.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfe View Post
    It doesn't really bother me to pay full price on a watch that always sells at full price because that is the way it is. You pretty well know what it will cost where ever you go. You can pay it or walk away. No haggle. I refuse to buy a watch that was sold at an introductory price and then marked up to a regular though. I think quite a few upstart companies are finding it easy to sell their watches at intro prices but are finding it tough to establish a "regular price."

What upsets me even more is seeing watches you know were bought at the into price being turned the day after the watches are marked regular price as unworn for a few dollars less than the new price. I guess that is the basis behind Capitalism though. Just changes the feel of watch collecting though. It used to be about buddies swapping watches. Now it is dog eat dog it seems.

Smurfe
    I very much agree.
    Especially keeping in mind, they're not selling at a loss by any means at an "intro" price.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by gregfsu View Post

Just curious.
    I don't know about the others, but some ADs sell at least some models of Rolex at a discount.

If you really want it.....

and it's only available at full price, then that's the way it goes, but there aren't many mainstream watches that you can't find discounted / used. It's not hard to buy a 90% plus Rolex off the watch sales forums for 25% or more off the AD price, and if you plan to wear it you'll put the same marks on it within a month or two anyway. If you're talking about small production run or newly-introduced models, then your choice may be between paying full price or waiting a long time.
    Last edited by bakuma; March 22nd, 2007 at 18:54.

Thread Information