about six months with mechanicals
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: about six months with mechanicals

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1
    Member KodiakCombos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Kodiak Island Alaska
    Posts
    114

    about six months with mechanicals

    About six months ago I went crazy and started purchasing mechanical watches, the self winding type, with the screw down crown.They are fun and beautiful to look at. But If someone were to ask me to share one tip about owning a screw down crown? You hsve to screw it down once or more times a day. Im on the ocean pretty much everyday and I have to constantly keep screwing my crown down.
    Providing Hunting and Fishing Adventures in remote Alaska for over 30 years!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    337
    Can you clarify why you're having to screw down the crown so often? If the crown is unscrewing and coming lose that may be a singular issue with your watch as opposed to a general issue with all screw down crowns. As you say you're new to mechanical watches, I'm asking so you can get that fixed if you need to and really start enjoying the timepieces.
    3005 and rfortson like this.

  3. #3
    Member Kulprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,089

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    I’ve only owned one watch on which the crown came unscrewed, and that’s a watch I wear 24/7. It only happened once and, to my horror, I discovered it just after getting out of the shower.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    101

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    Yeah, a screw down crown should screw down and then that should be it. You shouldn't have to worry about it unscrewing unless the crown was defective.

  6. #5
    Member tagdial8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    150

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    I’ve only owned one watch on which the crown came unscrewed, and that’s a watch I wear 24/7. It only happened once and, to my horror, I discovered it just after getting out of the shower.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It went bad?

  7. #6
    Member 6R15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    GMT -6
    Posts
    6,322

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    That's... not how any of this works
    3005, Dan T., Munchie and 4 others like this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

  8. #7
    Member 3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    821

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    I haven't screwed or unscrewed the crown on my Seamaster in weeks.

    Rolex Submariner 114060 • Stowa Antea KS • Seiko SKX007

  9. #8
    Moderator Public Forum John MS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    21,168

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakCombos View Post
    About six months ago I went crazy and started purchasing mechanical watches, the self winding type, with the screw down crown.They are fun and beautiful to look at. But If someone were to ask me to share one tip about owning a screw down crown? You hsve to screw it down once or more times a day. Im on the ocean pretty much everyday and I have to constantly keep screwing my crown down.
    If the crown isn't screwed down snug it could come loose. And a larger crown can be bumped loose.

  10. #9
    Member KodiakCombos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Kodiak Island Alaska
    Posts
    114

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    Quote Originally Posted by Dshirts74 View Post
    Can you clarify why you're having to screw down the crown so often? If the crown is unscrewing and coming lose that may be a singular issue with your watch as opposed to a general issue with all screw down crowns. As you say you're new to mechanical watches, I'm asking so you can get that fixed if you need to and really start enjoying the timepieces.
    Happens while working on my boat all day, damasko, seiko, steinhart all have done it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Providing Hunting and Fishing Adventures in remote Alaska for over 30 years!

  11. #10
    Member LaneP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    South of Boston
    Posts
    376

    Re: about six months with mechanicals

    I've personally never had a crown unscrew itself. What brand is doing this?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Six Months With an Citizen Eco-Drive One
      By Twelve Crows in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: September 10th, 2017, 00:18
    2. Six months with my Megir 3006 and still loving it.
      By KRSVINTAGE in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: November 28th, 2016, 20:04
    3. Six Months with Melbourne Watch Co's Avalon
      By Sleeken in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: September 25th, 2016, 13:44
    4. Six months with my Air Diver
      By Keye Skware in forum Orient
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: June 3rd, 2015, 18:19
    5. BAUME AND MERCIER CAPELAND 44MM CHRONO WATCH FOR SALE. ONLY ABOUT SIX MONTHS OLD.
      By JAMY LIM in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: March 24th, 2015, 11:53

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •