An absolute horror story: PLEASE avoid those UPS power supplies
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: An absolute horror story: PLEASE avoid those UPS power supplies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An absolute horror story: PLEASE avoid those UPS power supplies

OK, so I am an idiot, and maybe the horror will subside in time, but I fear I have just ruined my pride and joy.

I want to write and tell you guys, so the same fate doesn't befall you.

I did the damage by changing the UPS box in our office.
    Now I hate to think what kind of magnets they carry in those things, but it seems my watch didn't like it at all. If I'm honest, I just thought the weight of the box was the battery, but I didn't even stop to consider that you need to convert from AC to DC and back.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that, in the 24 hours since I changed the box, my watch has gained... 3 hours.
    So yeah guys, please look out; I wouldn't want any of you to feel how I do right now. It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I always found it a great place, and felt the need to do my civic duty and warn you.
    And seeing as it is the done thing round these parts, I should inform you that my watch is (was?) an Epos Skeleton 3336.
    Oh, and if anybody knows if/how this can be fixed, I would love you forever.

Re: An absolute horror story: PLEASE avoid those UPS power supplies

It just sounds like it got magnetized and any watchmaker should be able to demagnetize it for you. I should only take a short amount of time and shouldn't cost very much to have it done.

Demagnetizing a watch is a simple and quick procedure any watchmaker can do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSshorty View Post
    Demagnetizing a watch is a simple and quick procedure any watchmaker can do.
    +1
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

In a pinch, if you want, you can try degausing feature of old CRT tube monitors (if you have one around)

Put the watch back right on the screen, and press Degause button (may be through menu) couple of times (do it with front facing the screen as well).

I hear that it works and it does not cost you money and time so what is there to loose?

I ASSUME larger the monitor the better.

Good luck!
    Chronic flipper...

OK, thanks guys, fell much better now. I didn't think that damage of this scope would be reversible - a few minutes per day, yes, but not hours.
    See, I knew you were a nice bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Bimshire View Post
    ...Now I hate to think what kind of magnets they carry in those things, but it seems my watch didn't like it at all. If I'm honest, I just thought the weight of the box was the battery, but I didn't even stop to consider that you need to convert from AC to DC and back.
    Not to be a know-it-all, but a UPS system doesn't have magnets. It is simply a powerr inverter that transforms AC to DC so that the battery can recieve the voltage. Actually it's a bit more complex than that but i won't bore you with details since this IS a watch forum, not an applied electronics forum. LOL Best of luck de-magnetizing your watch.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Quote Originally Posted by TxKarateDude View Post
    Not to be a know-it-all, but a UPS system doesn't have magnets. It is simply a powerr inverter that transforms AC to DC so that the battery can recieve the voltage. Actually it's a bit more complex than that but i won't bore you with details since this IS a watch forum, not an applied electronics forum. LOL Best of luck de-magnetizing your watch.
    I'm pretty sure they will have a transformer which when powered would have a magnetized core. The OP should confirm that the watch continues to gain. It is conceivable that all the banging around setting up the UPS may have caused a temporary problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TxKarateDude View Post
    Ah, but it will have a transformer generating a strong field?
    Whatever it was it was strong enough to get the hair spring tangled around itself, hence the massive gain in time.
    I have had the spring untangled, so let's see if that solves it...

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Depending on wattage capacity of the UPS, it the transformer may have MASSIVE coils producing magnetic waves.

It does not just convert AC to DC, it converts DC BACK to AC as well.

So, first UPS will convert AC (110V) to DC (12V/24V depending on the size of the battery) to charge the battery. Then, it will convert the battery power back INTO AC power and outputs it to power the outlets on them.

That secondary conversion will be the one that has complex circuitry (to regulate the DC power into AC power - To Produce as smooth sine wive as possible) and depending on maximum wattage certified, it could have large transformer to cope with surge.
    Chronic flipper...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information