Voters
55. This poll is closed
  • accurate to +/- 1 second from atomic clock time

1 1.82%
  • accurate to a few seconds to 1 minute

48 87.27%
  • accurate to within 2-5 minutes

6 10.91%
  • within a few minutes (but more than 5)

0 0%
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Acceptable/comfortable accuracy for watches you wear today

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Acceptable/comfortable accuracy for watches you wear today

I used to not really know which clock or watch is accurate and had great faith in my own watch as the most accurate (as long as it isn't more than 5 minutes off from classroom clocks). I mean, back then, everybody's watch/clock shows a different time. So meetings take place "5" minutes after; being 5 minutes late might actually mean on-time, etc. The only time I ever set my watch to the "correct" time was when I bothered to call the phone company; most of the time I set my digital watch just once against the nearest clock after buying it.

So, you can say, my acceptable accuracy was 5 minutes or less back then.

Today, my watch syncs to WWVB every night. So, its time is always within 1 second of the atomic clock's time. But I don't need 1-second accurate in my watch for the things I do, would be comfortable using a watch that is less accurate.

But, I don't think I can go back to "within 5 minute" accuracy anymore, given all this technology and the very accurate time others have. Today, my acceptable accuracy is 1 minute.

What is yours?
    To put it another way, how inaccurate does your daily wear watch has to become for you to feel uncomfortable and for you to want to set it?

(Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to change the poll to add resolution in to the 1 minute choice. I think Mike is right; that poll choice is a bad one)
    Last edited by ctt1760; October 26th, 2013 at 09:09.

Re: Acceptable/comfortable accuracy for watches you wear today

I'm ok with about a minute fast or less. Then again, I always set my time a minute ahead anyway. But if my watch is rated COSC, I want it running within COSC. I mean, I paid for that so I better get that kind of performance.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Might I suggest some different poll options? I think you will find that pretty much everyone will be voting "accurate to a few seconds to 1 minute"
    OSUMBA2003 likes this.
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
    I'm ok with about a minute fast or less. Then again, I always set my time a minute ahead anyway. But if my watch is rated COSC, I want it running within COSC. I mean, I paid for that so I better get that kind of performance.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    COSC spec (from what I read on this forum) seems more to do with precision, where if you set your COSC watch a year into the future, it'll keep very inaccurate time... a year into the future.

To keep accurate time to your comfort zone, a more precise watch would require less frequent adjustments than a non-COSC watch.

Before the time when everybody carries a cell phone, many people don't actually have an accurate time at all except for folks in the computer industry where accurate NTP servers were pretty common even back in 1995 time frame.
    Last edited by ctt1760; October 26th, 2013 at 09:04. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by mike120 View Post
    Might I suggest some different poll options? I think you will find that pretty much everyone will be voting "accurate to a few seconds to 1 minute"
    While I completely agree with you that 1 minute accurate is just fine, I have a hunch that many atomic -sync watch wearers may not be happy at that level (based on the sync postings I read here).

I can't imagine anyone today would be happy wearing a watch that may be even 5 minutes from the actual time, but I'm not a very imaginative person according to my wife.

+or - 5 seconds is acceptable to me
    Regards Cam

Depends on the watch. I expect my HAQ watches to be within a few seconds at any given time. As for the rest, up to a minute is fine.
    Last edited by GlennO; October 26th, 2013 at 10:46.

I must admit that my acceptable watch accuracy varied a bit over time.
    When i had only cosc watch, i thought 4 sec a day was on the edge, of being way too off...
    now i have a watch with eta 2824 beating inside of it, which is 21,6 seconds fast, every day, but even that is ok for me now.
    of course i can have it regulated, but since i rarely wear single watch for more than 5-6 days, which makes it accurate to 2 minutes a day, what more do you actually need, really.
    since except of the new year, literally nothing, here, starts on time
    Last edited by Nikoloz; October 26th, 2013 at 10:21.

My comfort zone lies between 0 - +5 sec/day, but I would accept 0 - +10-15 sec/day. I would prefer though, that my watches would gain time, rather than to loose.

Cheers, Dan

My accurate autos are my rolex and I'm obsessed with that aspect of them. I told this to the ad as a condition of my purchase. Indeed, I had two watches regulated by the Rolex service dept on two separate occasions each while under warranty to get them absolutely spot on. Though they were well within cosc, Rolex obliged, and these things are now spot on. Their movements are so docile and so superbly regulated that they need a half an evening (4hrs?) each week or every second week lying on their crystals to keep them spot on,,,,spot on. Setting them via the crown is a crude business and just a gentle lie on their faces each week or two is far better and will bring it to within a tenth of a second. Something to note is that I indeed beat the snot out of these two watches during the warranty period.

When I was a kid I used to set early digital watches on the telephone to 'the "third stroke" bloke with the British accent. I remember the phone number! I have no idea how truly accurate that man was or what became of him. I would call him back every few days to check variation. Anybody remember him? High accuracy back then meant getting radio news and reports at exactly the right time, so yes I cared back then.

Couldn't care less about my vintage omegas or seikos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Beater; October 26th, 2013 at 12:47.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information