Accidental enthusiast or ‘education of the one-watch-guy’
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Accidental enthusiast or ‘education of the one-watch-guy’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Accidental enthusiast or ‘education of the one-watch-guy’

I suppose this is a watch forum so this in my watch story.

I have for most of my life been a one-watch-guy. Recently I consider myself a 'watch enthusiast'. I would never call myself a “collector”. I have too few watches and no cohesive philosophy that deems my odd assortment a collection.

I initially got into watches out of necessity as a young combat-arms officer. Those of you who know the history of Gallipoli and ‘the Guns’ know that in that battle a failure to synchronize watches between the artillery officer and the assault officer led to a catastrophic loss of life. As a result, at the end of any ‘O' Group before an operation, watches are synchronized.

In order to be able to synchronize a watch during operations I bought a cheap and cheerful hackable diver. Unfortunately, I was a young Cavalry officer and the insides of tanks are full of hard bits and are very hard on watches. I went through a couple in a couple weeks before I had a careful look around at what the instructors were wearing. The answer was the early Timex Ironman. I promptly bought one and made it through combat training and several overseas tours. The Ironman was perfect at night with ease of synchronization at 0 dark thirty ‘O' groups in the rain. I have had a Timex Ironman (probably my third or fourth now) to this day.

I bought my ‘one watch’ about 16 years ago. I had come to work on the sea so a Seamaster seemed appropriate. I didn’t know at the the time that it was a Bond watch. I just really liked the blue wave face, blue bezel and name Seamaster. It has been a remarkable piece and has served me well in hard use for many years. I would never sell it.

Name:  IMG_4674.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  358.6 KB

My enthusiasm for watches came about when I received my Grandfather’s WWI trench watch. There is a thread on that watch so I won’t repeat the full story here but the watch was given to him by his mates when he left the trenches to join the RFC as a fighter pilot. That watch is a family legacy for me. Several other enthusiasts on this site did some remarkable horological research on the watch for me that add to the story. When I wound it and opened the back and saw this 100 year old watch working perfectly I was hooked.

Name:  IMG_4602.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  504.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4618.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  605.0 KB

I now have one more watch that I am looking into. It also belonged to my Grandfather but it comes with less history. My bit of research tells me the watch was produced by Alb. Grossenbacher, probably post WWII.

Name:  IMG_4608.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  448.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4613.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  655.0 KB

I am enjoying this new enthusiasm and am considering a new watch or two for fun. I am interested in how the other enthusiasts on this site discovered watches.

Cheers and enjoy the weekend, D
    Last edited by BC Wave; June 8th, 2019 at 02:07. Reason: remove pic

Re: Accidental enthusiast or ‘education of the one-watch-guy’

An excellent watch story! Thanks for sharing.
    BC Wave likes this.

Thanks for sharing your's and your grandfather's story - there is something to be said about Timex's Ironman and Expedition and the CASIO G-Shock.
    BC Wave likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Such a cool story and what a cool legacy of caring on your grandfather's watches!
    BC Wave likes this.

This is a wonderful legacy story. Thank you for sharing it.

My wife bought me the watch that triggered my interest over 15 years ago when I was in my 40s ... a gold plated Edox automatic that she thought looked elegant. Many watches have come-and-gone over the years. My collection is still modest at 10-15 now after a max of roughly 37. The Edox is still beautiful and running perfectly. It will be the last watch I will ever own.
    BC Wave likes this.

Long time ago James Bond movie "Golden eye" got me interest in watches. I consider my old SMP as highlight of the collection.

When I got my OWD as my first "true" dive watch was skx007 and it sort of influenced my other choices.

Since then I have had many watches but always had soft spot for divers with blue dial.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    BC Wave likes this.

For as long as I can remember I've always had a watch as a kid to now. The only time I didnt wear a watch was high school as I had gotten my first phone and used that instead.

It all started with a cheap casio or timex digital watch. My dad gave me his seiko quartz watch. I only wear that on special occasions now but that was my only watch for the longest time.

Got into watches again at 22 years old. So for the past about 6 years many have come and gone. Now all I own is my omega seamaster aqua terra, and a citizen brycen chronograph I use as a beater.

So I'm an enthusiast these days. Not much of a collector any more. If I were to put any more money towards watches I would get a seamaster pro, and a speedy pro, and call it a collection.
    BC Wave likes this.

I have two legacy watches that have come handed down to me:

A Zenith Pocket watch "Grand Prix Paris 1900" (needs a service)
    A Lip watch - a cheap beater that no longer runs with a dusted up acrylic crystal. This watch saw combat with my father - oh, what tales it could tell!

Apparently, my father was the "watch keeper" of his platoon. That is, he had a box of cheap watches taken from comrades that didn't need it anymore or from enemies that really didn't need it anymore. Whenever someone needed a new beater, he opened that box and let them have their pick. In those days, being a young soldier with no thought for the future (because you could be dead tomorrow), this sort of thing made sense.
    BC Wave likes this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Quote Originally Posted by somyp View Post
    For as long as I can remember I've always had a watch as a kid to now. The only time I didnt wear a watch was high school as I had gotten my first phone and used that instead.

It all started with a cheap casio or timex digital watch. My dad gave me his seiko quartz watch. I only wear that on special occasions now but that was my only watch for the longest time.

Got into watches again at 22 years old. So for the past about 6 years many have come and gone. Now all I own is my omega seamaster aqua terra, and a citizen brycen chronograph I use as a beater.

So I'm an enthusiast these days. Not much of a collector any more. If I were to put any more money towards watches I would get a seamaster pro, and a speedy pro, and call it a collection.
    In my view a seamaster pro and a speedy pro make for a pretty good collection. I might just look for a speedy pro and call it a day too.

Cheers, D

Great story OP.

For me, one of my quirks is that gemstones, metals and jewellery always interested me, even as a child. My dad and I started a rock collection when I was young (semi-precious stones and curios) that I've still got to this day, and now my son's just as obsessed with them as I was at that age, referring to them as "daddy's treasures". Being a guy with rather a rather relaxed and restrained style (think check shirts and jeans most days, even in a corporate office) I don't tend to wear a lot of jewellery, even though I'd like to. The one "acceptable" form of ostentation I've always allowed myself is a watch, and to that end I began researching watches and trying to find "the one" that expresses me best.

10 years of WUS membership later and I'm still searching. The hobby plays to my natural interest in metallurgy and material science, so in my spare time I'm looking up incredibly niche and nerdy things like 316L steel Vs titanium in terms of scratch and corrosion resistance, the Mohs scale of hardness of tungsten Vs Zr02 ceramic, silicon hairspring performance Vs Rolex's parachrom alloy (and why most silicon hairsprings don't tend to feature a Breguet overcoil) and so on. I dabbled in watch journalism semi-professionally for a while, which ended up being too much like a job and killed a lot of the fun of the hobby for me. So I've ended that little side venture and now focus on watch research for pleasure. Which I'm sure would sound odd to most people, but this is WUS, so you all should understand :P

My current obsession and next "the one" watch for me is the Omega Globemaster. It'll be a while before I can get the money together for it, and who knows, a new model might catch my eye between now and then, but at this stage I'm fixated on that as the grail daily wearer. Wish me luck :)
    BC Wave likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information