Accuracy Test Procedure?

Thread: Accuracy Test Procedure?

Accuracy Test Procedure?

OK, so I got a new watch, Jaques LeMans Auto with Date and Day.

I think it is not accurate enough and will need to be returned for adjustment or replacement as it gains about 2-3 minutes/week.

I would like to know the proper procedure to establish accuracy please.

I am accustomed to quartz watches that of course do not have this type of issue. Maybe this is acceptable?

Thank you
    Last edited by BonesNTX; October 9th, 2006 at 17:36.

NEG

Re: Accuracy Test Procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesNTX
    OK, so I got a new watch, Jaques LeMans Auto with Date and Day.

I think it is not accurate enough and will need to be returned for adjustment or replacement as it gains about 2-3 minutes/week.

I am accustomed to quartz watches that of course do not have this type of issue. Maybe this is acceptable?

Thank you
    Brand new? if so give it 6 weeks wrist time every day then report back. If second hand take it to a watchmaker for a service.

.....I think it is not accurate enough .... it gains about 2-3 minutes/week.
    Thank you
    2 to 3 minutes/week comes to about 17-25 sec/day. I think it's a lot for a Jaques LeMans watch. My worst chrono without COSC is about 3-5 sec/day fast.

I don't know other, but COSC procedure is that the watch is measured in a few positions for a period of time. Daily rates and variations are measured. If this values are in given limits watch gets a COSC certificate issued by COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres).
    Here is a page with more info....
    http://www.cosc.ch/chronometre2.php?lang=en
    .. and a few cosc tables in attachment..

If you find that your watch is constantly fast/slow no matter in what position it is (on wrist during the day, resting dial down/dial up etc.) , then it is easy for a skilled watchmaker to regulate it.
    Jaques LeMans makes a good watches with quality movements and imho it shouldn't be a problem to adjust it.

------------------------------------------------
    .. a few of myne...
    Zeno Hercules chrono carbon
    Tissot LeLocle
    osco Portuguise chrono
    Glycine Lagunare LCC 1000 LE (111/200)
    IWC vintage automatic (ref 309A cal IWC 853) from 1962
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by beard; October 7th, 2006 at 01:30.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How do you measure it?

On or off the wrist? Which position (dial up, dial down, on the side with crown up or crown down)?

Are you wearing it during any physical activity (golf, tennis, cross country motorcycling or bicycle riding, while operating machinery)?

Please give us some more info.

A mechanical watch is a precision instrument; get to know it better and watch how it perfroms differently depending on position, temperature etc.
    It's a wonderful, almost organic characteristic that makes them different from quartz watches.

Cheers

Matt
    "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do"

Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Matt V.
    How do you measure it?

On or off the wrist? Which position (dial up, dial down, on the side with crown up or crown down)?

Are you wearing it during any physical activity (golf, tennis, cross country motorcycling or bicycle riding, while operating machinery)?

Please give us some more info.

A mechanical watch is a precision instrument; get to know it better and watch how it perfroms differently depending on position, temperature etc.
    It's a wonderful, almost organic characteristic that makes them different from quartz watches.

Cheers

Matt
    I've worn it non-stop...24/7 since I got it except when mowing/rding tractor and even when on my motorcycle cruising streets.

I got it new, not second-hand about 4-6 weeks ago.

Thanks

NEG

Yes, send it back....

I've worn it non-stop...24/7 since I got it except when mowing/rding tractor and even when on my motorcycle cruising streets.

I got it new, not second-hand about 4-6 weeks ago.

Thanks
    I am wondering how to definitively test it to be able to say to mfg it is not accurate enough. I surely can't just send it back and only say "it is not accurate enough"?

Matt?

I'd be curious as to other peoples' testing procedures. Do you set to a radio controlled clock that syncs to the atomic clock or do you set to a website? When do you check the accuracy - after what period. Do you wear the watch continuously during this "testing" period?

I'm sure some of you guys have a fine-tuned method for doing this. I'd love to hear the details of what you've concluded is best...

Quote Originally Posted by CottyGee
    I'd be curious as to other peoples' testing procedures. Do you set to a radio controlled clock that syncs to the atomic clock or do you set to a website? When do you check the accuracy - after what period. Do you wear the watch continuously during this "testing" period?

I'm sure some of you guys have a fine-tuned method for doing this. I'd love to hear the details of what you've concluded is best...
    That's why I started this thread...Guys on an older Forum for OMEGAs used to talk about it often. I had no use as my quartz watches are spot on. Now I got this Auto...I know they aren't as accurate but when is it "too in-accurate" and need adjustment?
    Thanks

Thread Information