Achtung! Das ist er.. ( pssst! what's German for WoW!?)
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Achtung! Das ist er.. ( pssst! what's German for WoW!?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Achtung! Das ist er.. ( pssst! what's German for WoW!?)

So the crazy Australian has gotten another delivery…

I really need to get off these drugs, get off compo and get back to work…

Even the delivery guy is starting to joke about having to stop meeting like this…

Who mentioned that there was hope of getting to Step 2 of the twelve step program?

Inspired by someone else who got one, this was less and impulse and more a long researched purchase that did and about face at the end

I have long wanted a German watch from the Glashutte region and will probably get one or two more in the future.

Glashutte Original's Senator appeals and is conceivably achievable and pretty much anything from A.Lange & Sohne is desirable but less likely to be affordable. I suppose that I could stop buying multitudes of lesser watches and just concentrate on getting one really great one.

Or perhaps two.

Certainly no more than three…

So that's why I stick to the more affordable models

Tutima, Muhle and the like didn't really catch my eye, but NOMOS with the whole Bauhaus minimalist look really spoke to me.

I had been agonising over the Club Datum Dunkel, to wait for the Ahoi or go for the Tangomat with the dark Ruthenium dial, possibly the GMT or the Zurich Weltzeit

I was also pretty sure, that like most items for sale here, it would not come from an Australian dealer as, for whatever reason, the mark-ups in the distribution chain would make it unaffordable to the tune of double or more.

The guilty feelings of going to a dealer and trying on models only to order them either while overseas on holiday or online in the name of saving thousands of dollars has troubled me on occasion, sometimes for minutes at a time, but I have gotten over it.

How wrong could I be?

I went to see the NOMOS range at the one and only ...... that carries them here and they are only open weekdays, so it was a bit of an inconvenience.

The young lady who helped me came out from a large glassed-in workshop wearing a loupe on one of those wire head frames which bode well. She patiently showed me the various models that I had narrowed it down to. She was extremely knowledgable and helpful and full of advice and suggestions. I knew the guilt was going to get to me on this one…

The big surprise was that seeing the shortlisted models in the flesh completely changed my mind.

The Club range that I had at Number One with a Bullet now didn't look right. It lacked a certain quality possibly due to its rounded, thicker bezel, but just didn't have the same Bauhaus vibe happening. The same happened with the Ruthenium dials in a different way. The contrast with the gold numerals just didn't "pop" in my eyes.

The pusher for the GMT unbalanced the symmetry on the Tangomat GMT and the Weltzet didn't have the same Bauhaus feel possibly because there wre only indices rather than the cool font some others had.

I left a confused and dejected man, with a bunch of over the counter prices scribbled down.

Checking back on the NOMOS website I was intrigued that the prices I'd been given locally were actually lower than the ex-factory ones!

All I had to do now was pick a watch.

After much soul searching I decided on the Tangente Gangreserve Datum or the original 35mm model with the power reserve and date that NOMOS got patents for in a manual wind with a white (or silver to be precise) dial.

I looked at all my usual online sources and got some numbers. Then I rang the dealer. The same young lady gave me numbers that were the same or lower than most of the online suppliers and they would deliver to my home overnight express and I didn't have to worry about wether the taxman would slug me with extra.

I was astonished.

So this arrived:-

The case is made of actual grained timber with real joints in the corners. It is small and the hinges are a bit under par, but it certainly fits the company' ethos of not being wasteful and hugging trees and such.

Inside sits the watch and a cute little cloth covered hard bound instruction manual come catalogue come expose on the brand's movements. Three little elastic straps hold everything down.

The big appeal for this brand along with the Bauhaus aesthetic, was the in-house movements they use. They are all quite different and quite beautifully decorated. You can save a few bucks on several of their models by choosing a steel back, but why would you?

For those that don't know the date ring lies around the circumference of the movement, so no additional thickness is added to the watch. That little detail appealed to me.

Similarly the power reserve sits right on top of the barrel and progressively reveals or hides a small wedge, black on my model (red is available) that rotates and gets larger or smaller with the available power. This also appealed to me.

Even though it is a physically small watch at 35mm, the lugs project straight out from the middle of the case and only angle down to the level of the case back so it sits somewhat wider on the wrist than the dimension would indicate.

Also the bezel is really thin, so most of what you see is scintillating white silver face. This makes it look bigger than it is.The absolutely minimalist thin blued steel hands just add to the effect as does the font. I also like the fact the minute hand goes all the way to the minute marks and so does the sub-dial seconds hand and its marks. The finish on the case, lugs and buckle is first class, with no hint of hard to reach corners missing out on the love. The entire surface of the outside of the watch is polished to a high gloss. The crown is easy to get out and the date is set by advancing the hour hand back and forth between 8 and 1. Winding it gives its own little treat of watching the power reserve dial spin around and the little black wedge grow.

The much talked about Shell Cordovan Leather strap also helps with the fit.

This piece of a horse's ass is amazingly thin and supple for a new strap straight out of the box. So it conforms to your wrist very readily. The finish of this unique leather is smooth and shiny, almost like a patent leather shoe, but not quite as glossy with more of a "waxed" look. The shape of the buckle has also been thoughtfully designed so that it sits flush against your wrist. And at only 6.6mm thick with the sapphire case back it certainly slips easily under a sleeve.

All up it makes for a classy dress watch that fits my scrawny 7.5 inch wrist rather well.

If you have been dithering, then stop and get one. If you are in Sydney, just go get it from the dealer -they are one of the very few retailers of ANY product that has it as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else in the world - in fact if I'd been about to go overseas I could have claimed the tax back and it would have been heaps cheaper than O/S. They got my respect.

Time is an Illusion - Lunctime doubly so

Re: Achtung! Das ist er.. ( pssst! what's German for WoW!?)

tl;dr - wow in German is wow.

(diese Uhr ist wunderschon)
    Influence is like the wind...

Now you see, this price escalation, that's what I was warning you about a few days ago!

Beautiful piece, I hope it will bring you a lot of smiles. I've worn my Tangente Sport for the last couple of days, after a hiatus, and remembered again what a great watch it is. I think the Sturmanskie is up this weekend.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great watch. Congrats.

Great choice and looks great on the wrist--congrats! (Is the date slightly off center or is that a camera-angle illusion?)

Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post
    Now you see, this price escalation, that's what I was warning you about a few days ago!

Beautiful piece, I hope it will bring you a lot of smiles. I've worn my Tangente Sport for the last couple of days, after a hiatus, and remembered again what a great watch it is. I think the Sturmanskie is up this weekend.
    Nice Sport!! I came very close to the sport - but the thinner bezel finally did it for me and the sapphire case back. What escalation. I don't know what you are talking about. I can stop any time. right after the G-Shock Mudman arrives. Well almost certainly right after the vintage bulova tuning fork is delivered, or at least just after the Alpina aviation piece. maybe after the Maurice Lacroix skeleton

Oh no I think I may have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpicasso View Post
    (Is the date slightly off center or is that a camera-angle illusion?)
    Nah, everything about this is perfection. The symmetry is gorgeous. It's just my lousy photos.
    Last edited by RegF; June 28th, 2013 at 19:21.
    Time is an Illusion - Lunctime doubly so

That's a wonderful choice for a dress watch. Beautiful understated simplicity. Congrats on your new Nomos!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Congrats, nice piece!

This must be a sign from the powers above....I just saw your thread a few minutes ago. I had spent the better part of yesterday night, and a few hours this morning flipping between the Nomos website and Watchbuys.com agonizing about adding a Nomos to the rotation. It's not that I need another watch either, but I've long respected the German craftsmanship, the in-house movement, and the simplicity and elegance of the Nomos brand.

I went as far as entering my account / delivery information and my order into the "checkout cart" but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I have tiny wrists (just over 6") and the only time I had a chance to try on a Nomos (37-38 mm case?), it didn't look right. We don't have an AD anywhere around us, but there happened to be a WIS locally trying to sell one.

I worried that the 35 mm would look too feminine / small on my wrist, but after reading and seeing your review, I'm feeling a little more confident. I ended up e-mailing Nomos to have some questions addressed.

Did you happen to consider the Orion? I'd appreciate your perspective on this too. I was also thinking about the Club, but I realized I already had enough more casual pieces, so the Orion struck me as being a nice dressier addition.

I'm envious every time I see a member post their new Nomos...I feel gutless for not yet taking the plunge, but I'm not a flipper, in the event that it didn't work out, so I'm timidly cautious.

Congrats again on a beautiful watch (also love the power reserve) and great review.

Oh, go on! Get the Nomos! I think it'd fit perfectly on your wrist and, quality wise, it wouldn't be out of place in your already august collection. I also think that the Nomos cases project a "sophisticated masculine" look, not feminine. I will say this though, I love the Bauhaus look of the Tangente line but, if I had to do it all over again, I'd look more closely at the Orion. I think that the plain baton hour markers make the watch a little more flexible. My heart beats a little faster when I see pictures of the Orion, or maybe, it's just Geoffbot's wrist...

I admit that I don't wear my Nomos as much as I used to. I still really enjoy the watch but I changed jobs last year. My current job is a lot more "hands on" and has a flexible dress code (it's also a lot more enjoyable!). In the past I wore a coat & tie almost every day, now I wear them once a month if I feel like it. As a result, I tend to wear my watches on bracelets more and my lovely watches on straps don't get the attention they used to.

Saver, I think you and I have similar taste in watches and I think you'd really enjoy a Nomos.
    TimeSaver likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information