Acquaracer screw crown problem
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Acquaracer screw crown problem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Acquaracer screw crown problem

Just got off the phone with Michelle Domenico, ext. 9210, at the TAG repair facility in NJ. I had filed a BBB complaint re: stripped screw crown not being covered under warranty. The repair cost went from $233 to $68 (parts cost for tube and crown). She said TAG considers a stripped crown as being mishandled. I asked her how I know it hasn't been mishandled by the repair facility before being mailed back to me. She said they are highly-trained professionals. So, bottom line, you must be a highly trained professional to use this watch! Unbelievable lack of warranty warranty.

Re: Acquaracer screw crown problem

Sorry you had a bad experience, eeksasn1. That sucks.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Highly-trained idiots is more like it. Sorry about that. I hate poor customer service.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ozy

I'm about 2 years into my Aquaracer 500m ownership, I set it at least once a week as its in rotation, crown out, set time, wind wind wind, crown in. I feel what the crown is doing, I wind it backwards slightly when the threads are connected and then forward to engage the threads in the tube.

If you strip the threads, you've done something wrong.

It might suck that its not covered, but it is what it is.
    Sodiac likes this.
    Pavo absolutus

Good for them, it's incredible how many will torque down the crown.
    Quote Originally Posted by eeksan1 View Post
    Just got off the phone with Michelle Domenico, ext. 9210, at the TAG repair facility in NJ. I had filed a BBB complaint re: stripped screw crown not being covered under warranty. The repair cost went from $233 to $68 (parts cost for tube and crown). She said TAG considers a stripped crown as being mishandled. I asked her how I know it hasn't been mishandled by the repair facility before being mailed back to me. She said they are highly-trained professionals. So, bottom line, you must be a highly trained professional to use this watch! Unbelievable lack of warranty warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by eeksan1 View Post
    I have reread your message several times and do not understand one point. Did you sent it in with a stripped crown or are you saying they discovered the problem after receiving it.

It is worth noting that screw crowns are not really robust designs and will fail.

The worst I've seen was Omega, and 18 kt crown with no insert.
    Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I have reread your message several times and do not understand one point. Did you sent it in with a stripped crown or are you saying they discovered the problem after receiving it.

It is worth noting that screw crowns are not really robust designs and will fail.

Banned

You are lucky ( not that I feel happy for you ) Bummer. You mean from $68 to $233 right?
    I found my problem when swimming. Popped out, flooded the watch in 2 foot of water. Rushed to watch center, they took care of it but I could see corrosion or something from then on.
    ONE reason I no longer a Tag is they still apparently have this problem. a dive watch that to me is “not water proof” guaranteed. Well, look which big corporation owns them now

Ozy

Quote Originally Posted by tomsimac View Post
    Popped out
    How do you suppose that happened? of its own volition?
    Pavo absolutus

I'm afraid Ozy has a point. Sounds like a poor customer service experience but, despite all the horror stores aroud on these models, I have had no problems with mine. I wind it almost every week and do take care to feel what is happening when screwing down the crown. There are at least three turns to completely bring the crown flush with the case so I do wonder how they just pop off the threads. I'm not saying it didn't, but I would be horrifoed of it happened to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information