AD Authentication?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EA-Sport

Thread: AD Authentication?

AD Authentication?

I've never had to take a piece in for authentication but I have one I picked up online that I'd just like to get a firm yes or no on. Plan on taking it into a local AD here and just looking to get an idea of what to expect to pay for that to be done. Like to have an idea instead of just walking in blind. Thx

Re: AD Authentication?

Not sure on other brands but with my Movado that I found on Craigslist the next day I just stopped in at my local mall and the manager of one of the AD's (there were multiple so I chose the ad that had the biggest selection) took a few minutes with it under the loupe then pulled another piece like mine and compared some small markings on the back of the case before congratulating me on a great deal. No charge, no pressure, nothing

depends on the AD and if you know them. Some of them may be snooty and ask you to take a hike, some others may do it, but you actually risk them scratching or nicking the watch, while some are professional and nice about this sort of thing and do it as someone mentioned. You should get a good feel for the AD, how they treat customers, and how they handle watches in general before asking them for something like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you just walk in out of the blue with a watch you didn't buy from them, they probably won't even look at it. Why should they, after all? Authentication isn't a formal service that most ADs offer -- you're basically just asking them to do you a favor. Remember also that the guy selling watches isn't necessarily an expert in authenticating the watches he sells.

Ideally, you want to take it to a proper watchmaker -- someone who takes watches apart and would recognize details of the movement and manufacture. Besides, even if you were certain the watch is genuine, you'd still want to take it to a watchmaker to make sure that it's running well. A movement can be reasonably accurate and appear to run fine but still have damage that would show up on a watchmaker's oscilloscope-thingy.

It won't hurt to post pics here; if it's an obvious fake we'll confirm. Movement shot too is best.

I did this when I bought a Rolex locally. The seller called one of the local ADs (he had had no relationship with the AD prior to this) and asked if they could take a look at it. They said yes so we both went in and one of the guys looked at it, checked the papers and the box and said that everything checked out as far as they can see. Obviously with the disclaimer that they wouldn't know for sure unless they open the case back. I was fine with the assessment, bought the waxes and then took it to a local watchmaker who took detail look with a loupe and check the frequency on his machine and said that the papers, the case, the dial and the frequency indicated that it's a real Rolex and there's no need to open the case back. He had seen enough fake to know the difference. All this for no charge, goodwill, gratis. The AD and the watchmaker now have me as their future customer for my future purchases.
    Zach97 likes this.

This is in regards to a new Tudor Heritage Chrono, purchased brand new (known to be reputable) grey market dealer in the US (I'm in canada). I had been prepared to to the additional $700 I saved and buy from AD but every one I checked was out of stock of grey dials, and that was one thing I wasn't budging on. The eta was a ways off and you know how it is when you decide on a piece.

There is only one local Rolex AD here (which obviously I didn't order from) and that's where I would have to take it, other than a watchmaker of course. It's an eta movement so not sure how much help cracking the case would be, unless they engraved or changed anything internally or signed the rotor etc.

Ultimately the watch looks good. The crown feels different than other 7750's I have, but it feels tighter so perhaps that is not something to pick apart. The thing that bugs me any may ultimately be a tip off is the 6 on the bezel does not perfectly line up with the dial, even though the pip up top does. This jus strikes me as a very UN-Rolex thing to do. I have a Pelagos too which I happen to be wearing right now, and there is absolutely nothing about it that s anything less than precisely spot on.

It is slightly exaggerated in this photo due to the angle it's taken at and the distortion from the iPhone lens, but can clearly see what I'm getting at. Perhaps I'm making something out of nothing, in fact I hope I am even hough it would drive my OCD through the roof were this simply just the way Rolex produced it.

Name:  x30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture45938-thc.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  39.0 KB

I've emailed the dealer twice since UPS delivered on Monday, about a few scratches on the side of the case, not is. Once to enquire and second time to follow up as I hadn't heard a thing back in two days. I'll leave their name out of this for the time being as I don't want to make something out of nothing (which I'd why I only asked about the scratched case) but most all you will know who they are.

The other odd bit was the plastic protective wrap around the watch head and blue shrink wrap wasn't the same as other photos I've seen from THC unboxings, though I have no way of verifying the authenticity of those pieces as I merely found them online.

I did research prior to this final purchase decision about known fakes and what to look for. The photos I received of this piece did not show the variations to the bezel markings size or subdial differences, and that was he most recent information I could come by. Not that it means much but this is a J serial watch.

Was originally just looking for a quick bit of AD cost idea for an authentication so didn't bother posting this in the Rolex/Tudor forum but now that I've spelled all this out I may as well go ahead and do so.

Appreciate any suggestion or opinions
    Besides those suggesting I should have waited for AD inventory :p

Thread Information