AD - It's the relationship.
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: AD - It's the relationship.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AD - It's the relationship.

A recent retail purchase causes me to acknowledge the value of "retail" and the upside of purchasing one's experience rather than the commodity, itself.

About a month ago, I visited a local Omega AD and purchased a Speedmaster Professional -1861-. After an enjoyable afternoon of touring through our favorite brands, a very well-informed gentleman took me through the attributes of the Omega range and in particular, the watch I purchased. This experience in itself, was really top-shelf. As it turns out, my 1861 powered Speedmaster has been consistently running at +17spd, average, as high as +19spd on one timer.

A return visit to our AD, today, rendered the following:

My sales associate spent about 20 minutes with me, mostly listening, and then asking a few questions. Almost immediately, I was informed that the watch was not presenting the expected performance and that it would be immediately corrected. Their on-site watchmaker (Omega, Rolex, xxx-certified) then took the watch and tested all positions with his timer before and after degaussing. The watch is running with very little variance, but it needs to be regulated. I was told to expect the watch after regulation, pressure test, and cleaning in twenty four hours. The watchmaker invited me to observe the process if I wished. He then went on to explain the various tooling that the shop had acquired to certify with each of the higher market builders, and why it was important to the store to have this capability, etc.. He and the sales representative then explained the warranty concerns (none), the notification process to Omega, etc. Of course, there is no charge and from my point of view, no concern.

I like this. I like speaking with people who not only take the purchase price, but take pride in offering value-added for that expense. The store is pure eye and spec-candy for a watch lover, the staff is immaculate, and the service is really what I would have expected to observe while standing beside my father 50 years ago - not today.

- Posted for no other reason other than a vote in favor of paying the asking price when the right person is asking.

Edit: My Speedmaster is back in-hand, perfect (loupe), and running at +1.5 SPD. Lunch and parking was on the store for the extra trip - their offer.

Also: I fully understand the decision to shop price and opportunity; I've done it with a lot of products over the years, including some timepieces. There is a time/place for such choices. Looking back, I would offer that when something is more than a passing decision, value-added makes it a more comfortable and enjoyable experience. YMMV.

Last edited by [email protected]_180; March 21st, 2019 at 05:46.

Re: AD - It's the relationship.

Sounds like a really good experience from a quality AD. I don't have a ton of experience, but I have purchased a couple of pieces new from an AD in San Francisco and I agree with you that there is something to be said for paying asking price when the situation is right. Obviously you end up spending more then if you buy used/gray market, but you get peace of mind and, as in your case when the watch is not running to spec, you are covered under warranty, etc.

Yes sir, that's what customer service should be about.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When you pay extra then a good service is expected.
    guspech750 likes this.

Good customer service is worth every penny. I enjoy the interaction with knowledgeable staff, and the attention to detail that they provide. Sometimes we may loose sight of the added value it brings to a transaction. I am glad you had a positive experience.

Excellent post.

Valued customer service is getting harder and harder to find today, so good for you.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Reminds me of the days when I worked at Nordstrom. It was likely my amazing manager that I had who showed me the ropes as it was one of my first jobs. Ever since, then I have always really valued those who have give great customer service and continue to pursue it myself. I remember years later when I returned to Nordstrom as a customer, and it was clear that they gave up on that standard and became like every other retail store. I asked around about it, and found out that they had revamped their entire approach and operation. How sad.

That said, I'd put those guys on the Christmas list!
    Synequano likes this.

Usually AD prices are more than grey market dealers so it’s nice when they go the extra distance to provide really good customer service.

It is an experience and can be a show in some places, glad you had a great time and well deserved sale.

Great to hear a positive AD story, the forum is riddled with the opposite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information