AD says warranty has expired despite being dated 2014?

Thread: AD says warranty has expired despite being dated 2014?

AD says warranty has expired despite being dated 2014?

I purchased an omega watch second hand, with a dated stamped warranty for 2014 (it is my understanding this was done by an authorized dealer, since the name stamp looked the same as the one on my omega purchased at an AD) However when it was taken to the omega dealer, they said the warranty had expired since it had been purchased by a non authorized dealer in 2011 (this was determined by checking the serial number). I had assumed the warranty starts from the date listed on the card. Has anybody heard of this happening?
    Last edited by spidercan; May 13th, 2014 at 19:51.

Re: AD says warranty has expired despite being dated 2014?

Sure...Gray Market Dealer....The warranty must be stamped from an Authorized Dealer..
    You see Omega sold it to a GM to unload old new stock. They do this all the time.
    Not just Omega, Zenith, and many other brands.
    Last edited by little big feather; May 13th, 2014 at 19:54.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Anyone can stamp the card -- it's just a stamp and a card. The stamp has to match the official sale date of the watch through an AD.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, no match, no go.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    Anyone can stamp the card -- it's just a stamp and a card. The stamp has to match the official sale date of the watch through an AD.
    I see...I had assumed the name stamp was from an authorized dealer, since font/color etc matches my other watches' warranty. I had heard that warranties can be filled out by authorized dealers and then left with the date open to be written in later. Is this no longer the case?

Such as here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...d-1013154.html (see second post)

Banned

Did you take it to the AD whose stamp is on the card? I think they'd be the only ones who could tell to whom a piece was sold based on serial #.

If you were to send it or take it to a Swatch Group Service Center (in the US; I presume same in other countries), they would want to see that the card is stamped with the name of a dealer who was an AD at the time of sale, and that the warranty period had not expired based on the date on the card. They might confirm from their records when it had been shipped to that AD, but they would not have a record of when it was sold.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    Did you take it to the AD whose stamp is on the card? I think they'd be the only ones who could tell to whom a piece was sold based on serial #.

If you were to send it or take it to a Swatch Group Service Center (in the US; I presume same in other countries), they would want to see that the card is stamped with the name of a dealer who was an AD at the time of sale, and that the warranty period had not expired based on the date on the card. They might confirm from their records when it had been shipped to that AD, but they would not have a record of when it was sold.
    It was an omega boutique but not the same place it was originally purchased from...

I see...I had assumed the name stamp was from an authorized dealer, since font/color etc matches my other watches' warranty. I had heard that warranties can be filled out by authorized dealers and then left with the date open to be written in later. Is this no longer the case?
    That can happen, but in your case Omega already knows when the watch was sold. It sounds to me like the previous owner already registered/used the warranty, and blindly assumed that just writing a date on the warranty card would make that go away when he sold it to you.

We don't have all the details...Could also be, man A purchased watch at AD, AD registered watch with Omega but did not date card.
    Man A sold watch to Man B, but first put in 2014 date....Man B, not knowing this attempted to get service, watch was really
    purchased in 2008 and is out of warranty.

Slow typing...Likestheshiny got it b/4 I could type.
    Last edited by little big feather; May 14th, 2014 at 00:16.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    We don't have all the details...Could also be, man A purchased watch at AD, AD registered watch with Omega but did not date card.
    Man A sold watch to Man B, but first put in 2014 date....Man B, not knowing this attempted to get service, watch was really
    purchased in 2008 and is out of warranty.

Slow typing...Likestheshiny got it b/4 I could type.
    He bought it second hand. Are Omega warranties automatically transferred to the newest owner on resale? If not that may mean the warranty is expired when dated in 2014.

edit: Just read the comment about it being sold in 2008 to the grey market. Looks like the seller tried to pull a fast one by post dating the already useless warranty.
    Last edited by John MS; May 14th, 2014 at 03:28.

Thread Information