AD vs. Gray Market-is there really a difference now days?

Thread: AD vs. Gray Market-is there really a difference now days?

AD vs. Gray Market-is there really a difference now days?

The reason I ask is that I was just at a well known national chain that is an AD for TAG Heuer and a guy came in with his watch saying it was gaining 5 minutes a week, sounds like an easy fix, adjust the regulator but the store manager said the watch would need to be shipped to TH to be corrected and that it would take over 10 weeks to get it back. (by the way they have a "certified" repair guy on staff and that is part of their selling points--a lot of good he does) Now I have always thought that the main reason to buy from an AD was for service and repair issues. Anyone can send a TAG in for repair as long as they are willing to pay for it, right? And as far a gray market, I have purchased several watches with no issues and asked the question, what happens if it needs repair while under your warranty? They tell me to send it to them and they would in turn send it to the manufacturer................................so other than price what is the difference in todays market and service"less" environment?

just curious....................
    NC Stan

Omega SeaMaster Pro
    TH Aquaracer
    Tissot PRS 516
    Sector 450 Chrono
    Zodiac V-Wolf
    Seiko Black & Orange Monster
    Oris BC3
    Hamilton Khaki Navy
    Bathys UV Quartz
    Doxa 600T Pro.
    Clerc CXX Scuba
    and too many others.......

"time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts..."

Re: AD vs. Gray Market-is there really a difference now days?

Then they will be charged for repair under their warranty. If there's no
    serial number - !

stuffler,mike

Hi,

AD vs. Grey Market was discussed on WUS lately, enjoy reading some thoughts of our guests here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...459#post184459

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You have to send your watch back to the manufacturer IF it is still under warranty and you don't want to pay for it. If it is out of warranty then any reputable watch maker can service the watch or send ti to TAG but it will be MUCH costlier and you won't see the watch for a loooong time

For example. My friend has a Tag chrono and on of the pushers fell off (can you believe it) anyway, he had it sent back to TAG and they had the watch for 5 months, yes you heard correctly, 5 months! Know some or most are better and TAG is known for their not so great service times but I wouldn't hesitate at taking my watch to a authorized watchmaker to do minor work.

Also with regards of Grey Vs. AD. I also know someone who has a UN and purchased from an AD but the AD did not stamp the warranty card and UN wouldn't even touch it and his dealer even called and they said no. All because his warranty card was not stamped.

And people still flock to buy these products when they treat their customers like this. I wonder how many repeat customers they have had (manufacturer and AD) after treating a customer like this. My motto is, look to see if you have a reputable watchmaker around. If so, but from where you get the best price. The AD's don't give a spit about you so why should you support them. Look out for yourself and your friends, the true watch lovers and collectors. Sorry for the rant. I to have been burned by "elite" manufacturers and their snobby AD's.

Smurfe

I used to go to places locally to look at watches. But with the lack of selection, salespeople that are rude and know nothing about watches, I quit wasting my time and fuel. The net is my one stop shop for just about all watches. I've found a few Timex and Casios at Wal Mart and one at Kohl's. But for anything else I shop on the net. I'd love to support my local AD, but for reasons mentioned above, I'll take a gray market on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by SeikoAutomatic_01 View Post
    I used to go to places locally to look at watches. But with the lack of selection, salespeople that are rude and know nothing about watches, I quit wasting my time and fuel. The net is my one stop shop for just about all watches. I've found a few Timex and Casios at Wal Mart and one at Kohl's. But for anything else I shop on the net. I'd love to support my local AD, but for reasons mentioned above, I'll take a gray market on the net.
    SA,

I agree with much of what you have said - I'm not a fan of the AD process nor of salespeople that know less than nothing. However, it is not simply AD vs The Net. There are ADs on the Net for most (most) brands including Swatch Brands. So, one can have the best of both worlds - a watch that cost less, knowledgeable staff, good service, courtesy, and a valid warranty!
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Docrwm View Post
    There are ADs on the Net for most (most) brands including Swatch Brands. So, one can have the best of both worlds - a watch that cost less, knowledgeable staff,...
    With WUS and the internet, we really don't need a knowledgeable staff anymore I say do your own research about a particular model then buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeikoAutomatic_01 View Post
    With WUS and the internet, we really don't need a knowledgeable staff anymore I say do your own research about a particular model then buy it.
    In many instances I agree with you. Sometimes, only sometimes, a knowledgeable seller is in a position to know things that you can't tell from the materials online or the pictures. Often, in the case of a new model, there is no one on the forum that has the watch and is willing to comment on your question. Knowing good folks among the online sellers can be the only way to get that question answered.

For example, I own a Seiko Superior that I wish I had asked the seller a specific question about prior to buying. I asked the forum and no one owned that particular model. The pictures were unhelpful too. So, I now own a Seiko Superior with an integrated bracelet - I HATE integrated bracelets because I like changing those sorts of things out from time to time and I have broken a bracelet (and crystals too for that matter) and integrated ones are simply a nightmare in that regard to replace (particularly if the watch is more than a few months old sometimes).

So, its been good for me to have access to WUS and other online fora but it has also been good to know who the quality sellers are who can be counted on to answer questions honestly.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Thread Information