Addicted to fashion watches. Help?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Addicted to fashion watches. Help?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unhappy Addicted to fashion watches. Help?

I kinda started investing in watches before doing research (we all know about rolex, but I can't afford right now) and Ive spent probably around $4,000 on random fashion watches. I started out buying Armani exchange in the $100-200 range which turned into buying Bulova and Emporio Armani in the $300-500 range, and now I'm up to buying Gucci watches at around a grand a pop and looking at buying my first Versace. I just joined WUS and I see that fashion watches have a bad rap and I now feel like a bit of a fool. Anybody give me any idea if I wasted a bunch of money? I found out the hard way when trying to resell barely worn Armani and Bulova watches I grew tired of (I only got 1/4 what I paid) that this might have been a bad investment/hobby and thinking about giving up on watches. Ive seen some of the watches the forums advocate at my budget and they look a lot less fancy than the fashion watches I buy, but apparently its all looks and not much quality. I guess Im asking for a bit of an education on how to proceed on buying from now on, in the $1-2k price range. Should I just sell them all for a loss and save up for a Rolex? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Addicted to fashion watches. Help?

As long as you love your fashion watches, they are worthy to own. I wouldn't bother to sell all your fashion watch collections since they don't worth much anyway. If it is on your wrist to tell time and you like the style, the watch serves right purpose. Since now you are enlightened, I wouldn't invest more on fashion watches. Very soon, you will learn lots good watches out there that you won't need to spend premium price such as a Rolex to enjoy.

You enjoy wearing a watch, that is all that matter to us.
    Last edited by wuyeah; October 24th, 2013 at 13:56.

It depends what floats your boat. Pure looks or heritage and design history with high tech research. Usually fashion brands go all for the looks and just use some movement (usualy higher grade) which is outsourced. Watch brands from the get go are usually more passionate about technical aspects, though they often make incredibe designs as well.

Frankly, i could never wear an "Armani" or "Gucci" branded watch. It just feels kinda cheesy and snobish. But i could easily wear Seiko, Orient, Steinhart, Tissot, Certina, Omega, you name it. Hell, even Rolex, despite being sort of up there with the fashion brands, it has some of the history and their own innovations with some really legendary model designs so yeah, even Rolex.

But if you feel good wearing fashion brands, why not. Most important is that you like your watches, little else matters (imo).
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First off: No watch is an investment money wise. Investment in style, history, yourself: Yes.

If you bought watches because you like their design, you did good. If YOUR watch brand taste has "changed" to other brands - don't feel like a fool, feel as if you learned something.

I suggest taking one of them you like design wise, opening it up and removing the logo. Bingo! Understated cool watch without the mark you have grown to not like anymore.
    hayday likes this.

Yeah, I think you should collect and enjoy watches that you like. A collection of watches that only others like would get old very quickly and you would not wear them. Do as everyone on this forum does and collect watches that have features and the design that you enjoy.
    Last edited by John MS; October 24th, 2013 at 14:39.

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

Solution: Buy as much as you want until you want to throw them all.

Nothing wrong with how you started and nothing wrong with those watches. Quite a few of us started that way. My first watch was a Givency and I paid quite a lot for it and still have it. I am enamored with watches so I purchased those things that looked good. Nothing wrong with that as that is what I still do. Just now the price and "respect" for my purchases has gone up.

We "WIS" sometimes look down on fashion, but aesthetics is the first thing most of us see, followed by other factors. In-house, history, tool status, reliability, etc.

We then come here and buy what's popular. You mention Rolex. Guess what? Its also a fashion brand in some senses and MOST of the people that buy it buy it for status and fashion. We buy because of the history and reliability of the brand, but if it was never advertised like it is, it would not be as popular.

Breitling, Rolex and Omega and highly advertised as is Panerai and are fashion brands to some extent. Anyway, enjoy the hobby and how you've matured....

Just keep browsing WUS, pick up the watch snobbery, and soon you'll be on the road to WIS-dom, calling Tag Heuer a fashion brand and detesting the scum that is fashion watches

This

Quote Originally Posted by seanwontreturn View Post
    Solution: Buy as much as you want until you want to throw them all.
    Or this

Quote Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
    Just keep browsing WUS, pick up the watch snobbery, and soon you'll be on the road to WIS-dom, calling Tag Heuer a fashion brand and detesting the scum that is fashion watches

My first 2 watches were Fossil watches. One is from my now wife, so I will be keeping that one. If you like them, go for it. But don't buy on whims. I did and I wish I didn't. Sometimes patience is the best route (as hard as that may be).
    Omega | Hamilton | Tissot | G-Shock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information