WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Adding a 4th Watch into my Collection - Suggestions?

2K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  IGotId 
#1 ·
Hi fellow watch lovers,

I am kind of in a dilemma right now on a couple of watch choices I would like to add to my collection. A little bit about what's in my collection:

Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 (Chrono / Sporty)
IWC Portofino Chrono - Milanese Bracelet (Chrono / Dressy)
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - (basic date / balanced of sporty and dressy)

I am in my early 30s and well do not have an unlimited budget :-d (otherwise I wouldn't be in a dilemma)

I and attracted to the IWC Pilot Chrono (current version with the 3 dates) but am torn between getting leather or bracelet. If I do add this to my collection, I will have 3 chrono watches. So much for diversification and variety ... Not that I like the function, just that it appeals to me.

I am also keen on getting a Panerai 111. Base model, totally different looking watch to include into my collection. Manual winding movement .. but I am not sure if I will hate having to wind it all the time.

Jaeger-LeCoultre MUT Moon, or Master Control Calendar. Very nice dressy watch with a unique moon phase movement to add variety to my collection.

Rolex GMT Master II BLNR/LN or the Submariner. With the GMT movement and ceramic bezel, it will certainly add variety in terms of movement and collection. Rolex is more easily recognised at my country and it can be a good or bad thing.

These are the few watches which I have been slowly starting to add to my dilemma list since my last purchase. Will certainly hope fellow collectors can share their tots on this and how you decide what to add to your collection.

See less See more
#2 ·
111 would be a small second model Luminor, base dial for panerai would be 000,112 if you are talking about 44mm luminor.

Thats a tough one, I have about half dozen of sub and pam combined on and off. I felt they are quite different yet quite essential for my taste.

The MuT on the other hand is classic and so well balanced but since you have a portofino already i would say get the pam or sub/gmt first.

Good thing about sub and pam is that their resale price is quite strong(some country stronger than other nevertheless).
If you are not sure, get a used one and sell it if you dont like it.

Good luck with the hunt

Sent from my fax machine using Tapatalk

#13 ·
MUT moon or one of the two Rolex.

I personally dislike colors of BLNR but it is a suggestion watch to you so if you like the color, it is a great piece. Sub is always great.

Best out of the three is MUT Moon. The best one on your list.
Yeah, I'd echo this as well. These will give your collection more diversity. Personally, in the interest of diversity, I'd put them in this order: Sub, the MUT Moon, then BLNR, but any of them would compliment your collection nicely.

#5 ·
BLNR as the 1st choice, otherwise the JLC MUT Moon

Reactions: qtip.416
#9 ·
Price wise, I can almost get both the PAM and IWC for the price of 1 Rolex or JLC. Probably also something I tot of too.

Rolex and Pam are also 2 models which I do see quite often, with the former being more widely seen.

So far I don't hear much mention about the IWC pilot. Is it because the PAM/Rolex/JLC are superior or we have lesser IWC fans :)

#10 ·
I'd eliminate the IWC for the reason you mentioned -- just one too many chronos in the collection. Putting aside other preferences (full disclosure: I have both the Sub and GMT, plus two PAMs) and not getting into resale considerations, the JLC would be the best option for diversification imho.

#16 ·
Feel like I will promptly be ignored (since I'm the only one to suggest it), but the IWC Flieger 3777 on a bracelet is on my short list. At the top of the list.
The design is classic. It houses a durable, reliable, accurate Valjoux/ETA caliber 7750 in it's finest possible construction. The altimeter-style date is priceless for a minute every hour as the minute hand will hide the date (but you'll figure out the date by the numbers surrounding it). The bracelet is considered by many to be the finest constructed bracelet ever. If I want to change it up I can put it on a leather strap, Bund-style strap, NATO strap...you name it, the Flieger will look awesome.
So what if you already have some chronos? Me, too, for a reason. I freaking love them, and I just can't get excited about any other style watch. Maybe that's you too, if you're brave enough (or foolish enough?) to admit it.

#18 ·
My suggestion is to get the Sub first, sell the Tag somewhere down the road, get a Pam, and save up some more and get the JLC.

#24 · (Edited)
Think outside the box. Shrink the collection instead of enlarging it. You are quite young, plenty of time to create a great collection. Start with the theme of excellence. Sell the lot, buy one really serious watch (a Rolex DD40 for example). this won't date, and you can only wear one watch at a time anyway. Then, for fun, start flipping less serious watches for a few years, sell them to buy a second 'really serious' watch, repeat the process. You will end up with a collection of superb high-end watches. Only the best, quality always tells......five really fine watches is a better collection than fifteen pretty good ones.

#28 ·
Pal, I totally agree with you! This is what I am thinking of doing too!

#26 ·
I would lean towards the GMT Master to round off any collection to the forth. It's one of the best world timers ever invented and also a very wise investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being pedantic but the GMT Master is a GMT not a world timer. A world timer displays all time zones at once.

To the OP: given your collection leans toward sporty as it sits I would get the MUT moon, it does far more to balance the collection than any of the others.

#29 · (Edited)
I chanced upon the Explorer 2 on polar dial and it's modern design struck me. It's somehow lesser popularity as compared to other rolex sports model is a plus for me as it will be more unique. Probably gonna go down to take a look at one of the AD to see it on the wrist. Is polar a good choice vs the black? White seems more casual/sport but doesn't seem dressy for dressier occasion.

#31 ·
Update .. I went with the Explorer 2 Polar. It looked cartoonish at first. Went again on a few another occasions with my wife, and she gave me the encouragement I needed to get it.

View attachment 7818714
Congrats! It seems like it fits you well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.