Adding AR Coating to Sapphire Crystal
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fishgod
  • 3 Post By moscar45

Thread: Adding AR Coating to Sapphire Crystal

Adding AR Coating to Sapphire Crystal

I've recently purchased a Casio Oceanus Manta watch that I had assumed (partly because of the price) would have double (or double-sided) AR coating on the crystal. However, when I place it next to a Seiko Brightz watch and a Citizen Chronomaster, the sapphire of the Oceanus is much more reflective than the other two--both of which do have double AC coating. I have to assume, therefore, that the Oceanus does not, but probably has single AR coating (what side of the crystal that would be on I'm not clear). So here's my question: Is it possible to have the crystal removed, double-coated (or at least have the side without the AR coating coated), and replaced? I assume I would have to go to a custom watch person for this. Can anyone recommend such a person? Is the whole idea feasible? The reflectiveness of the watch does tend to bug me.
    Vancouver

Re: Adding AR Coating to Sapphire Crystal

free bump....I would like to know the answer to this as well....however, I suspect it will probably much cheaper to replace the single-sided-AR-coated-crystal with a double-sided-AR-coated-crystal from a different watch having the same size.....It is my understanding that adding AR coating require high heat and a clean room so I don't think it can be cheaper than replacing the crystal.....as far as I can estimate....replacing the crystal should not cost more than $200 typically.

As I understand it, having a single crystal AR coated is prohibitively expensive.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs View Post
    As I understand it, having a single crystal AR coated is prohibitively expensive.
    Bingo.

I read IWW does afternarket AR coating.
    Contact them and ask...

http://www.industrialwatchworks.com/ship.html

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

I have used Optical companies such as lenscrafter or mom & pop eye stores to do Ar in the past. Typically they charge around $40.00 to $80.00 per piece ( crystal ). You just have to be diligent and call around until you find one willing, then explain in detail it`s a watch crystal you are bringing in. To them it`s extra business they just send along for a sale. They do it all the time for customer requests on eyeware for color on ar ect. Then see if it includes stripping the old off if any or do it yourself before dropping off. Colors are optional such as blue ect, I prefer no color double sided. Single is no problem to them also, same price I have found so why not go for double. Planning on having a Doxa & Korsbek crystal done in the next month or so in my area. Those Doxas really need a double ar to bring out the dial. Sometimes my biggest problem is having someone close by to remove the crystal before sending in.
    CitizenM likes this.

Thanks, guys. Useful advice. I'll look around and see whether a local LensCrafters can do it, although I may get a qualified watchmaker to take the crystal off and later replace it.
    Vancouver

I can tell you this much form personal experience: A/r coatings are not prohibitively expensive these days. I have a contact who does multiple batches of a/r crystal runs monthly. The price is roughly $55-60 bucks for double sided. This is not the garbage lens crafters quality but a mil-spec coating. Single sided a/r is almost exclusively on the inside to answer your earlier question. Double sided gives additional benefit, but also is a scratch haven, so it would follow reason that single sided coating would be inside the crystal to protect it. The mil-spec coating has 2 options, a mild blueish hue similar to all higher end a/r coatings (very Breitling like), and the newer option that is less hued. Both are remarkable in quality, very tough, and now adorn a couple watches I own that look like they should have come form the AD with it. I can give you the fellas email if you PM me.
    CitizenM, watchluvr1 and mralastor like this.

The AR on eyewear and watch crystals are different!

The eyeglass coatings are not the same thing you find on watches. In fact they're very different. The ophthalmologic coatings (for eyeglasses) are applied using different technology and at much lower temps. As a result, they do not inhibit reflections to nearly the same degree nor do they hold up against scratching as well.

I once thought eyeglass coatings would suffice as well, but once I came to understand the technical details behind AR that changed. The industries served by the AR I'm using do not include eyeglass lenses. And there really isn't a possibility for there to be a crossover because the extreme heat in the AR chamber that is necessary for the durability of the coating would simply melt polycarbonate eyeglass lenses anyhow.

Thread Information