Is "Adjusted to Six Positions" more accurate?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is "Adjusted to Six Positions" more accurate?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is "Adjusted to Six Positions" more accurate?

Are watches that are adjusted to six positions more accurate to ones adjusted to five positions? What are the watch brands/models that are adjusted to six positions?

Re: Is "Adjusted to Six Positions" more accurate?

Not sure if its more accurate or not but my Nomos is adjusted to 6 positions and is +2.5 a day

Yes.
    geoffbot likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends what the 6 positions are adjusted to. But, from what I read in this thread (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/watc...on-772921.html), you have to relax the variation in all 5 other positions to adjust the 6th position.

edit: Another post that states something similiar here (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/nomo...ml#post5686156)
    Last edited by Citizen V; March 23rd, 2013 at 18:40.

Banned

There are watches adjusted to five positions that run +1sec/day; there are watches adjusted to six positions that run +1sec/day; there are watches that have not been chrono certd that run +1sec/day. I've never seen a study that took a sample of those adjusted to five and those adjusted to six to compare them. Plus, it's only an indication of accuracy at time of testing. Some that are deemed within chronometer specs at time of testing fall outside the range at time of delivery due to shock or magnetization, regardless of the number of positions in which they were tested.
    Mr Rick likes this.

In theory, yes it would be more accurate. In practice, there are many factors that contribute to the accuracy of the watch so I would not let this be one that heavily sways you.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    In theory, yes it would be more accurate. In practice, there are many factors that contribute to the accuracy of the watch so I would not let this be one that heavily sways you.
    Yes indeed. Additionally, the original poster should understand the adjustments were carried out then the watch was brand new at the factory. A vintage or otherwise not new watch will not perform to those specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    Depends what the 6 positions are adjusted to. But, from what I read in this thread (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/watc...on-772921.html), you have to relax the variation in all 5 other positions to adjust the 6th position.

edit: Another post that states something similiar here (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/nomo...ml#post5686156)

Difficult with the knowledge I have to imagine more adjustment positions aren't better than fewer. I don't know what makes the 6th position such a bear that make the other five need tweaking.
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

"To live and to die in gratefulness if in no other virtue."

-Galway Kinnell

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    Difficult with the knowledge I have to imagine more adjustment positions aren't better than fewer. I don't know what makes the 6th position such a bear that make the other five need tweaking.
    I've yet to find any specifics about what is actually needed to be done to adjust the 6th extra position. So far I've only found Walt Odets' article on adjusting a movement to 5 positions: TWEAKING THE MARK XII: PART 2.3. But I believe you can see how adjusting one position affects another as he goes along.

I also found this other quote that sort of addresses 6 positions (Explanation Of How To Regulate A Watch):
    There are six positions, corresponding to the 6 faces of a transparent cube inside which the watch can be imagined to be located. It is difficult or impossible to achieve PERFECT adjustment in all six positions and all adjustments are a compromise of some sort. To save money and improve adjustment in the positions that count, i.e., those the watch is likely to find itself most often, some positions are omitted from adjustment. For a wristwatch, the most commonly omitted position is the 12-UP position, usually assumed by the owner holding the watch upright in front of his nose, but rarely assumed any other time. (The exception is truck drivers and other people who wear their watches on the inside of the wrist). For a pocket watch, the omitted position is the bow-down position (12-Down on an open-faced watch and 3-Down on a hunter case watch). The result in all these cases is a watch with adjustment for 5 positions, an excellent product. Adjustments for fewer positions are found in some watches. In such cases, adjustments are omitted for the least frequently assumed positions in actual use.
    Last edited by Citizen V; March 23rd, 2013 at 22:43. Reason: fixing links

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

There are several good texts on adjusting watches that cover this, but the geometry of the hairspring can have a big impact on how the watch rates in various positions. There is always one position(dependent on where the center of the spring is attached to the collet) which will rate differently from the rest because of this. The curb pins-if present-can also have an impact on the positional rating and this is difficult to eliminate other than by moving to a freesprung balance.

I have seen the factory adjustment tolerances for Hamiltons 992 pocket watch, which was adjusted to 5 positions, and Hamilton's 992B, which was adjusted to 6 positions. The allowed variation across 5 positions for the 992 was less than the allowed variation for the 992B across 6 positions, despite the 992B being more technically advanced and using a few "tricks" to try and decrease positional variation.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information