ADs/Boutiques - Don't You Hate When ....
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: ADs/Boutiques - Don't You Hate When ....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ADs/Boutiques - Don't You Hate When ....

.... they pull out their white jeweler's gloves to show you a watch.

Gloves being pulled straight from their pocket which is probably full of all manner of grit, the watch may already be covered in plastic so the gloves are moot, they hand the watch to my bare hands. It's a watch not kryptonite, not sterilized medical equipment, it's designed to be touched by skin.

What are your pet peeves at your stores?

Re: ADs/Boutiques - Don't You Hate When ....

The only pet peeve I have is the higher than desired MSRP's, which affect what I pay no matter the discounts . . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    The only pet peeve I have is the higher than desired MSRP's, which affect what I pay no matter the discounts . . . .
    Exactly....and the main reason I rarely buy at an AD, except occasionally online at a steep, make that VERY steep discount.
    drhr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

General ignorance about the product they are attempting to sell. And still worse, complete confidence in the factuality of complete nonsense.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

its fine, they are showing you that they care enough to wear gloves so as to not touch or put their prints on something you may buy, its a gesture of respect and care.

There is more oil and dirt on your fingers than is grit on their gloves, but they are willing to give you the watch to handle and are willing to wipe THEIR unsold inventory down after you walk away without a purchase after smudging a dozen watches. Give them a break man, its a tough enough job as it is.
    vkalia, Dan J, dr3ws and 14 others like this.

No hate here, only ambivalence.

As you mentioned in the OP you don't think there is much difference between your hands and his gloves (though others suggest differently), so why let it bother you. You are also making the assumption that his pocket is probably full of all manner of grit. Why would it be? Mine certainly aren't.
    X2-Elijah likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I guess I should I have been clearer in my OP - it's the pomposity of the process I dislike. And I don't believe for a second that shop staff are showing me watches with a genuine love for the piece. It's their job the main duty of which is to present watches to customers who may or may not buy.

You may be right about the dirt and oil on my fingers but I stand by the dirty pockets. Unless their suits are being dry cleaned after each wear then their keys, their wallets, their hankies, their hands and whatever else they're putting into their pockets is transferring dirt and grit, at the very least at a microscopic level, which is then transferred to the gloves. Reminds me of when I used to do photography, the Pec Pads used to clean sensors and lenses were single use only cleaning cloths. We'd cringe when we see an amateur pull out a reused a microfibre cloth to clean lenses.

Anyway, this thread should probably have better been titled pet peeves about ADs and boutiques. So post away.

I know you're trying to move the thread along, but regarding the gloves...

Look at it this way; if they didn't use gloves, there'd be an outraged poster exclaiming how he can't believe ADs handle expensive watches with their grubby, oily hands.

At least they're making an effort to maintain the integrity (and expectations) of a "luxury" purchase. Whether it helps protect the watch or not, I'd rather they err on the side of "too much" rather than "too little".
    snakeeyes likes this.

tdk

What I really hate is when they put the glove on and then proceed to wipe the watch down which only scratches the watch.

I'm sure the amount of glove grit is virtually non existent whereas my watches are regularly covered in grubby finger marks.
    bigclive2011 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information