Advantage to buying in a shop as opposed to online
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advantage to buying in a shop as opposed to online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advantage to buying in a shop as opposed to online

What are the advantages of buying in a Jewelry store as opposed to online like Amazon or Jomashop? Online huge savings can be had. Both seem to offer 2 yr warranty. Interested primarily in Tissot and Hamilton watches.

The advantage of a shop is you can try things on and find the best fit. Also watches can look a lot different in person. When you buy from a shop they will usually size your bracelet for you.

You may point out you can try watches on in a shop but purchase online. True but if everyone did that we would have no more shops...
    Shockwave likes this.

Re: Advantage to buying in a shop as opposed to online

You can try it on first. They size the bracelet for you, if applicable. Instant gratification. Otherwise, online shops sell the exact same product. I bought my Tissot from Jomashop. Don't think it would have been worth the retail price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Store:
    Try it on
    Factory warranty
    Layaway
    Bottled water
    Discounts
    Sizing
    No authenticity worries

Online:
    DEEP DISCOUNTS
    Last edited by flabbychucs; February 6th, 2018 at 16:45.

Banned

store... you get to try it on, then you have to pay for rent and hospitality.
    online; no rent and what you see is what you get.

If it needs service, it is a LOT easier to have this done through a brick and mortar--not an issue until and unless you actually need such service. For an "affordable" such as you are considering, this really wouldn't be much cause for concern.

That said, I would go one step further--not only buying online, but buying (barely) used--cut your outlay by 50%, and you still often will get an in-house warranty, or at lease money back guarantee. I've bought (and sold) more than 200 watches, only a handful of which were purchased new--never had problems that couldn't be resolved favourably.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobkg View Post
    The advantage of a shop is you can try things on and find the best fit. Also watches can look a lot different in person. When you buy from a shop they will usually size your bracelet for you.

You may point out you can try watches on in a shop but purchase online. True but if everyone did that we would have no more shops...
    Soon, they will be less and less retail shop.
    chosenhandle likes this.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Buying in person allows you to build a relationship with the store. I’ve got a great relationship with my AD, and they had no problem authenticating watches for my buyers at no cost, even ones I didn’t get from them. You pay more at a shop for sure, but once they get to know you a little more you have some more haggle room.

Quote Originally Posted by Namerifrats View Post
    What are the advantages of buying in a Jewelry store as opposed to online like Amazon or Jomashop? Online huge savings can be had. Both seem to offer 2 yr warranty. Interested primarily in Tissot and Hamilton watches.
    Simply put:
    - buying at B&M (brick and mortar, not Baume & Mercier :)) store gives you OEM warranty, usually good customer service, and a place you can go for help when sending watch for service, sizing bracelet, changing gaskets or batteries, etc. This comes at a premium

- buying online (GM) - you get big cost savings. Note however, the warranty from these sellers is usually not OEM and often worthless. Amazon CS is outstanding, but with others - don't expect much support or help. Need to send watch for warranty service, overhaul, WR pressure test - better find someone local.

So ultimately it's a tradeoff - warranty and customer service for price.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

What? No free champagne from the AD??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information