Hi everyone.
During a quiet lunch hour at work I was having a look through Google Books and came across this gem:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

It is a guide to clocks and watches, written in 1849 - thought I think it is part a sales brochure as the last pages contain ordering information for various watches.
Amongst the various bits of historical perspective (such as where the first clocks were made, and how British clocks are far superior to the Swiss ones.... ) there is a small section on Page 57 about regulating a watch:
"On regulating a Watch, should it be going fast, move the regulator a trifle towards the slow, and if going slow, to the reverse; you cannot move the regulator too slightly or gently at a time, and the only inconvenience that can arise is, that you may have to perform the duty more than once. On the contrary, if you move the regulator too much at a time, you will be as far, if not farther, than ever from attaining your object; so that you may repeat the movements until quite tired and deeply disappointed - stoutly blaming both Watch and Watch-maker"

How brilliantly put, and yet sometimes even 167 years later I still forget this advice!

If you have a spare hour or so I highly recommend reading this book, especially if you can use that special voice in your head reserved for gentlemen from a Jane Austen novel