Advice for a Beginner
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Advice for a Beginner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice for a Beginner

Looking to purchase my first decent watch. To date I've really only had watches in the price range of under $100.

I'm looking to spend around $500 as a watch I can wear everyday to work. Possibly looking at $1,500-2,000 on a higher end watch as well if something catches my eye.

At the lower price range I like the style of the Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro (Silver Face) just to give an idea of the style.

For the longest time I had my eye on the Rado Jubile however since it's more of a 'modern design' I'm afraid I'll lose my taste for it after some time, and it's quite a big investment for that level of uncertainty.

Anyways, just wondering if there are some 'classic watches' that fit what I'm looking for. Also wondering which brands kind of catered to what area, and what the pros and cons are for each type of movement mechanism.

Hope we can start some constructive discussion!

EDIT: guess the Hamilton is a little more than my originally anticipated price range :)
    Last edited by nutsngum; March 15th, 2011 at 04:20.

Re: Advice for a Beginner

Advice ?

Run away, Run Away !!!

ppalam2, toph and Uber like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Advice ?

Run away, Run Away !!!

Guess the better question would be if I wanted something Mechanical/Automatic as opposed to quartz in the 500-700 price range, what should I be looking at?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another consideration is if you want new or used. You'll usually get far more value for your $$ in a good used piece, if you're willing to take a bit of risk. IMO, of course.

Dress?

Diver?

The Seamaster is an iconic design that can be worn every day (work and play) and can be had, used and in excellent condition for less than $1500. MIdo makes pieces that can also serve double-duty, look nothing like the Seamaster, are good quality and are also in that $ range, new.

There are dozens of quality watches from which to choose, based on the general criteria listed.

A lightly used Hamilton Jazzmaster would be an impeccable choice. You can find them occasionally on the sales forum for around $450, give or take.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

If you like the look of the Hami Jazz, you should consider the Tissot Visodate and Seiko SARB...

Visodate:

SARB:

*Pictures borrowed from other WUS threads.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    A lightly used Hamilton Jazzmaster would be an impeccable choice. You can find them occasionally on the sales forum for around $450, give or take.
    The only thing I don't like about most of the seamaster designs are that the circumference of the face (the bezel?) has markings, I'd prefer a more clean look (i.e. Aqua Terra XXL).

I like the suggestions, hadn't thought of buying used!

If people have more ideas, please keep them coming!

Hamilton is a great place to look. They have several automatics that are going to be around $500. And the Jazzmaster Maestro is lovely.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Hamilton is a great place to look. They have several automatics that are going to be around $500. And the Jazzmaster Maestro is lovely.
    Are there any reputable sellers? I'm located in Toronto but don't mind buying online either.

What about this beautiful Eterna? 42mm, with an alligator band for 650 dollars on Ebay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information