Advice on buying a watch from relatively unknown independent watch brand?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Advice on buying a watch from relatively unknown independent watch brand?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice on buying a watch from relatively unknown independent watch brand?

Does anybody have experience in buying a watch from a relatively unknown independent watchmaker or micro brand?
    I'm talking about brands such as Kikuchi Nakagawa, Parris daCosta Hayasima, David Lowinger, Sylvain Pinaud, Struthers Watchmakers etc. To my knowledge these brands haven't
    been in business for a long time which raises a couple of questions like price/value, resale ability, servicing, reliability etc. especially given their price range.
    I'm seriously considering buying a piece from one of these brands but the watch is in the 20k range so I'm a bit hesitant.
    Is there something I should be looking out for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Advice on buying a watch from relatively unknown independent watch brand?

Is there something I should be looking out for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    To my knowledge these brands haven't
    been in business for a long time which raises a couple of questions like price/value, resale ability, servicing, reliability etc. especially given their price range.
    You may have answered the question.

Several WUS members enjoy lower priced micro brand watches where the risk is moderated by the dollars invested.

I don’t know that I’d be laying that sort of cash out on a brand with such an unknown pedigree.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

if these are important to you; price/value, resale ability, servicing, reliability ... then, yeah ... I'd definitely give it a pass

All well-known brand had to start somewhere, true, but at 20k from a relative new, unknown brand, I better be getting at least 17k value in gold from that watch

If the watch brand becomes famous, then there is resale value, and if the brand goes belly under, the resale value is zero. How good the watch is depends on movement, qc, etc. If the movement is a standard quality movement, an independent watchmaker can service the watch.

If you like the design and never plan to sell the watch, then go for a new brand. If you plan to sell or flip the watch, avoid new brands.

One caveat is the ultra high end microbrands, that are in the $xxxxx price range. They may have resale value but don't expect to make a profit.

Not how I would spend $20K on watches unless I already have a very extensive collection at that price point and beyond.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

which watch are you looking at?

Name:  worthless.gif
Views: 103
Size:  41.6 KB
    Synequano and Ragl like this.

Omega "Skyfall" Aqua Terra 8500

If you have to ask...................

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWomble View Post
    which watch are you looking at?

Name:  worthless.gif
Views: 103
Size:  41.6 KB
    I'm looking at the Murakumo by Kikuchi Nakagawa and David Lowinger's series two.
    Two completely different pieces, both excites me.
    The Murakumo looks extremely well executed and I like its size and the 50's style, but the series two looks very unusual which I enjoy and I also like the fact that he makes the watch by hand.

Pics from the web...

Murakumo by Kikuchi Nakagawa

David Lowinger's series two

Synequano likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information