Advice for College Student looking to get into world of Mechanical Watches

Thread: Advice for College Student looking to get into world of Mechanical Watches

Advice for College Student looking to get into world of Mechanical Watches

Hello all,

I'm a 21 year old college student. I had a Fossil watch that I got for Christmas back in junior high and wore it until it looked like it was time to let it go (around 8 years). I've been attempting to research a new watch, preferably a mechanical. For the forseeable future, I won't have a large chunck of change to throw at this, so the cheaper the better: ideally, under $150, though I'd go a bit more if it meant getting much more watch for my money.

I wore my Fossil everyday for those 8 years, and would like something that will allow me to do the same--a good classy but casual watch that can stand up to everyday use. Can people recommend a fairly accurate watch in this price range that meets these criteria? I'm told that the Invicta 8926 is THE bargain watch at this pricepoint, and have been heavily considering it--however, I'm not a big fan of the "diver" style, particularly on this watch. I'm not entirely against it, but would like to find something a little more me. How is the rest of Invicta's low-priced watch line up? I really like the looks of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INVICTA-MENS-YEL...QQcmdZViewItem

but don't know if its as reputable as the 8926 (I'd also prefer something with Roman numerals, but that takes a back-seat to accuracy and overall quality given my budget constraints). Any comments on the Invicta line-up, particularly the few mentioned? Other brands/models that I might consider?

Finally, I've been told that some of the vintage watches aren't bad--particularly the Eterna Matic for what you pay. Any comments on these models and others would be much appreciated. Sorry for all of these questions in my first post--I'd really like to make this a watch that lasts for a decade+, and quite possible let it be my first foray into watch collecting (however, on a students budget it will probably also be my ONLY watch for quite some time), so it is important to me that I make an informed decision and do this right.

Re: Advice for College Student looking to get into world of Mechanical Watches

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
    Hello all,

I'm a 21 year old college student. I had a Fossil watch that I got for Christmas back in junior high and wore it until it looked like it was time to let it go (around 8 years). I've been attempting to research a new watch, preferably a mechanical. For the forseeable future, I won't have a large chunck of change to throw at this, so the cheaper the better: ideally, under $150, though I'd go a bit more if it meant getting much more watch for my money.

I wore my Fossil everyday for those 8 years, and would like something that will allow me to do the same--a good classy but casual watch that can stand up to everyday use. Can people recommend a fairly accurate watch in this price range that meets these criteria? I'm told that the Invicta 8926 is THE bargain watch at this pricepoint, and have been heavily considering it--however, I'm not a big fan of the "diver" style, particularly on this watch. I'm not entirely against it, but would like to find something a little more me. How is the rest of Invicta's low-priced watch line up? I really like the looks of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INVICTA-MENS-YEL...QQcmdZViewItem

but don't know if its as reputable as the 8926 (I'd also prefer something with Roman numerals, but that takes a back-seat to accuracy and overall quality given my budget constraints). Any comments on the Invicta line-up, particularly the few mentioned? Other brands/models that I might consider?

Finally, I've been told that some of the vintage watches aren't bad--particularly the Eterna Matic for what you pay. Any comments on these models and others would be much appreciated. Sorry for all of these questions in my first post--I'd really like to make this a watch that lasts for a decade+, and quite possible let it be my first foray into watch collecting (however, on a students budget it will probably also be my ONLY watch for quite some time), so it is important to me that I make an informed decision and do this right.

If you must have only one high quality automatic watch, a Mido Multifort is right up your alley. At under $200.00, you get a rugged, well-made watch with a timeless design that will last you for years. And its Swiss made. Either that or a Seiko military watch or a Hamilton Khaki watch is the best way to collect watches on a student's budget. You won't be out too much money on any of those brands. You can get even better deals on the Bay.
    Last edited by NormanF; July 24th, 2006 at 05:51.

Can you link to a description of these watches? Also, is the Mido a vintage watch? I searched e-bay and only found older watches (not that I'm opposed to that), I just wanted to clarify--they were also a bit outisde the $200 range..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can you link to a description of these watches? Also, is the Mido a vintage watch? I searched e-bay and only found older watches (not that I'm opposed to that), I just wanted to clarify--they were also a bit outisde the $200 range..
    Mido Multifort

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIDO-MULTIFORT-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Hamilton Khaki

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Hamilt...QQcmdZViewItem

Seiko Military 5

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKO-5-AUTOMATI...QQcmdZViewItem

As you can see, they're all quite affordable on a student budget and they are all automatic.
    Last edited by NormanF; July 24th, 2006 at 05:47.

Thanks much for the response. Is that Mido new then, or NOS? The auction isn't terribly clear, but when I was searching e-bay for Mido Multifort's earlier I just kept getting retro watches. Of these three pieces (and perhaps including the Invicta) I much prefer the styling of the Mido.

What about the accuracy of any/all of these pieces as compared to some of the others I mentioned (the Invicta or the older Eterna)? The crystal? It appears that aside from the Seiko's "Duralex" the others just generically say "anti-reflective mineral crystal." I'm assuming the Mido isn't sapphire, so will one hold up against scratches better than the other? Finally, should I get competitive on this or another auction for a Mido Multifort, what kind of price ranges are typical?

Also, is there something against the Invicta? I was under the impression that for its price it is perhaps the best automatic one can get--the band is solid as opposed to folded (I'm unclear on the Mido, is it solid? I know the Seiko's aren't), they use surgical-grade stainless steel, and one review claimed accuracy of +3-4 seconds unregulated.

Thanks much for the response. Is that Mido new then, or NOS? The auction isn't terribly clear, but when I was searching e-bay for Mido Multifort's earlier I just kept getting retro watches. Of these three pieces (and perhaps including the Invicta) I much prefer the styling of the Mido.

What about the accuracy of any/all of these pieces as compared to some of the others I mentioned (the Invicta or the older Eterna)? The crystal? It appears that aside from the Seiko's "Duralex" the others just generically say "anti-reflective mineral crystal." I'm assuming the Mido isn't sapphire, so will one hold up against scratches better than the other? Finally, should I get competitive on this or another auction for a Mido Multifort, what kind of price ranges are typical?

Also, is there something against the Invicta? I was under the impression that for its price it is perhaps the best automatic one can get--the band is solid as opposed to folded (I'm unclear on the Mido, is it solid? I know the Seiko's aren't), they use surgical-grade stainless steel, and one review claimed accuracy of +3-4 seconds unregulated.
    The Mido I showed you is a new model. Mido is now owned by the Swatch Group.

In this price range, most mechanical watches will have mineral glass. With care, the bezel face should be clear of scratches for many years. However if the watch does get scratched, the bezel can usually be replaced by a jeweler. As for the price range, on eBay $70-$150 is a typical range for this particular watch.

Nothing against Invicta but I have a decided preference for known, high quality brands. The Mido comes with a leather strap but you can easily swap it for a bracelet if that is your preference. All mechanical watches don't have quite the degree of accuracy that you find with a quartz watch. But its not for that reason you collect one; its the way the watch hand moves and if there's a see through back case you can appreciate how the rotor oscillates. You can also buy hand-wound watches, although these tend to vintage era or Russian watches like the Poljot brand.
    Last edited by NormanF; July 24th, 2006 at 08:04.

Thread Information