Advice on a Dress watch - Page 3

Thread: Advice on a Dress watch

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Advice on a Dress watch

Even a gold metal band?
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

I thought James Bond wore a striped nylon band, rather than metal.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    Even a gold metal band?
    The book dress for success says a gold bracelet is okay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Right now, my aim for a dress watch is either a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic in gold, or a white-face Zeno-Basel Magellano. Both of these watches are available in the US$300-400 range, and are great looking pieces.

There are great-looking watches at nearly every price point... For suited wear, I would always go with a black strap [or brown if I was wearing earth-tones, which I seldom do], and a uncomplicated watch dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Right now, my aim for a dress watch is either a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic in gold, or a white-face Zeno-Basel Magellano. Both of these watches are available in the US$300-400 range, and are great looking pieces.

There are great-looking watches at nearly every price point... For suited wear, I would always go with a black strap [or brown if I was wearing earth-tones, which I seldom do], and a uncomplicated watch dial.

Sounds like one of these would suit you to a 'T'.
    Regards,
    Jonathan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    If you are serious about getting a real dress watch and matching it with a suit, there are 4 dressing "do's" you should always remember.

1.) Your sock color should match your pant color.
    2.) Your shoe color should match your belt.
    3.) Your belt color should match the band on your watch.
    4.) And your belt buckle color should match the watch case.

Traditionally speaking wearing a metal band is a no-no with a suit regradless of what hollywood and some people might tell you. Same goes for chronographs. I know I know, there are plently of people here who do it and plenty of people around the world who do it. But that doesnt make it right. When wearing a suit the watch is there to tell time, not make a statement. And when you dress in a tux, you should not wear a watch at all.

Yes I think its not right when a person judges you on looks. But at the same time you can dress well and smartly with very little money. The details is where it matters. To me it shows pride when a person dresses well. Even more so when they do it on a budget.

Typically with a suit the watch should be fairly simple like the old Omega DeVille watches.

Dont get me wrong, I still wear watches with metal bands when I am dressed business casual at work (basically a suit without a tie or jacket).

I will try to put up examples later.
    I fail miserably when it comes to this. I'd be wearing my Seamaster with a tux.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    I fail miserably when it comes to this. I'd be wearing my Seamaster with a tux.
    Ditto. The last time I wore a suit, I wore my PVD'd Kobold Polar Surveyor II Tactical. The half dozen times before that it was my big orange Omega Planet Ocean (the wife even went out and bought me some ties with a bit of orange in them ).

Normal people rarely even have more than one watch. So the idea of a "dress watch" doesn't come from common convention ... it's yet another WIS creation and as such can be ignored when dealing with people who haven't been infected.
    Todd Louis Green

Train hard & stay safe!

So I have been looking at one of these....

Thanks to watches 88 for the pic.

My one worry is that it might be too thick - any opinions?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Ditto. The last time I wore a suit, I wore my PVD'd Kobold Polar Surveyor II Tactical. The half dozen times before that it was my big orange Omega Planet Ocean (the wife even went out and bought me some ties with a bit of orange in them ).

Normal people rarely even have more than one watch. So the idea of a "dress watch" doesn't come from common convention ... it's yet another WIS creation and as such can be ignored when dealing with people who haven't been infected.
    Even worse, my dad used to wear his 80's metal accordion band Casio digital until about 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Sorry, but there are conventions on what constitutes a "dress watch" and the did NOT originate in WISdom. For a long time in the US people who routinely dressed for affairs owned their own Tuxedo, their own studs and cuff links, and yes an extra watch that they wore for "dress" affairs. It was perfectly acceptable to not wear a watch while wearing your own Tuxedo but it was/is not acceptable to wear a sports watch or similar watch in those settings. It is sort of like wearing a brown belt with black shoes - just not done. Now, is this a law - of course not. It is, nonetheless, something that will set apart those who know how to dress properly from those who don't and in certain circles that means the difference between being admitted/accepted and merely being tolerated. Not saying it ought to be that way - just that it is.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information