Advice on dual time watch
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Advice on dual time watch

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

First post. I am not a collector, but am looking for a good quality watch that will show two time zones (I travel frequently). I've narrowed it down to two choices--the Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Tradition Grande Date GMT, MP6707-SS001-110, and the Oris Artelier World Timer, 69075814051LS. I think the ML will be quite a bit more expensive (although neither are super expensive like Rolex, etc.), and therefore might consider a well-respected grey market dealer. I like the style of the ML a bit better, but the Oris is nice, too, and I like the push button feature to change the time. I would welcome advice regarding quality, etc. I have no intentions of buying a bunch of watches, just looking for a nice, classy every day watch with the dual time function.

Advice and comments welcome! Any thoughts?

Re: Advice on dual time watch

If it were me, I'd go ML. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Außerordentliche übel erfordern außerordentliche Mittel.

Rolex - Jaeger LeCoultre - Nomos - v. Seiko - Burberry

Do you want to track time using 24 hours for one time zone and 12 for the other? It can get a bit clumsy switching between the two. Also consider that most GMT watches use a 2892 derived movement. That design only allows the 24 hour hand to be adjusted independently. When travelling it is easier to change local time with an adjustable 12 hour hand as found on Rolex, Omega and Seiko GMT watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Do you want to track time using 24 hours for one time zone and 12 for the other? It can get a bit clumsy switching between the two. Also consider that most GMT watches use a 2892 derived movement. That design only allows the 24 hour hand to be adjusted independently. When travelling it is easier to change local time with an adjustable 12 hour hand as found on Rolex, Omega and Seiko GMT watches.
    No, I would just like to have both times (local and home) displayed on separate faces in 12 hour format. Hopefully I won't get so jet lagged that I can't remember whether it's currently am or pm.

I like the simplicity of both of these watches--I don't need three alarms, a depth gauge or built-in sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by movet22 View Post
    If it were me, I'd go ML. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Could you tell me why? I am a novice, and other than what I've learned through research, I know little about watches. I think the ML would have an in house movement (because it's the Masterpiece series), and I know all the Oris watches use ETA movements. However, my research has led me to believe there's nothing wrong with the ETA's, and they can in fact be easier to repair. I'm buying for my own pleasure, I don't care if other people recognize what I'm wearing or not. But I do like the looks of the ML.

My 2 cents would be none of the above - I would recommend the Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time, or a Tissot Heritage Navigator (this one comes out this year, is a remake of a watch from the 50's, and will be truly exclusive - and cheaper than the Tag - maybe than the ML too).

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Oris does use Sellita as well, not only ETA though.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by alx007 View Post
    My 2 cents would be none of the above - I would recommend the Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time, or a Tissot Heritage Navigator (this one comes out this year, is a remake of a watch from the 50's, and will be truly exclusive - and cheaper than the Tag - maybe than the ML too).
    Actually the ML is the most expensive of any of these...thanks for the suggestions. The Tag is a possibility, but aesthetically, it doesn't do much for me. I don't think my aging eyes would have fun with the tiny print on the Tissot, and it strikes me as too fiddly for someone moving from time zone to time zone as I often do. That's why I like the idea of twin faces--nothing to interpret.
    DragonDan likes this.

Welcome to the forum Micor. As an Oris fan who wants a world timer you've got no chance of getting an unbiased opinion from me. I know next to nothing about the ML but believe that the Oris still uses an ETA movement rather than a Sellita one though Oris as a brand are making the change to Sellita movements. No prizes for guessing which one I'd get.
    Perdendosi likes this.

I own an Ebel Classic Hexagon Dual Time, which is often available at greatly reduced prices at Movado Company Stores. They are old stock from 2010 and 2011, but are offered there with full factory warranty.

They use a "Top"-grade ETA 2892-A2 with a TechnoTime tt651 dual-time module. Both dials set from the stem--both move forward together, but only the main hands move backwards during setting. It also has the big-date complication that quick-sets using the center stem position. These are large watches, but their shape makes them very comfortable.

The Maurice Lacroix uses the same movement. Their ML129-equipped Masterpiece and Les Classiques models were introduced before they started making movements in their own shops, though these ETA movements are decorated at the highest level. ML's dials and cases in these watches are made by them, and they are exceptionally nice. I own a ML Masterpiece Phase de Lune Tonneau, and can attest to the finish quality of this line.

These 2892/tt651 models are pretty nice dual-time watches at this price point. I would prefer something with the subdial hour hand operated by a pusher--it's easier to set if you change time zones a lot. But that type of operation isn't common at this price point if you don't want a 24-hour GMT hand (as I didn't). The slickest dual time watch for routine travelers is a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duo, but bring your checkbook.

Rick "who has a true GMT watch and uses it for activities that require knowing GMT" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; October 21st, 2013 at 20:28.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information