Advice on first major watch purchase
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Watermark
  • 1 Post By dannyking
  • 1 Post By Jh94

Thread: Advice on first major watch purchase

Advice on first major watch purchase

Hi,

I'm very new to using forums, so if I am posting incorrectly, please correct me.

I am a 19 year old college student looking to invest in a watch that I can wear and enjoy for a long time.

I have always admired fine watches, but I have never really been able to afford one. Now that I have been able to save some money, I am looking to use some of it to invest in a watch that I can use for years, and maybe one day even pass on to a loved one. I have worked hard for every dollar I have, so I am looking to get as much watch as I can for the money.

I would like to spend less than $2,000 - but under $1500 would be even better.

I really like Omega watches, but I don't want to limit myself to those alone. I have looked a lot at used speedmasters, but I am not sure if that is the best idea for me. I love the look and history of speedys, but I also like Tag and Breitling watches.

I love mechanical watches, but I don't know if I can afford the maintenance/repairs associated with that type of movement.

So basically I am looking for something that is:

Under $2,000, ideally under $1,500

A timeless design, preferably a black dial, sport watch that could look as good with a white tee as with a dress shirt

A respected name among enthusiasts

Mechanical or Quartz movement? I'm afraid of expensive repairs

A watch that isn't going to depreciate 50% the second I put it on my wrist (why I am interested in buying used)

What kind of watch do you think I should look at? Grey market or certified retailer? Does a watch like this even exist?

Thanks

edit: Preferably a Chronograph, Arabic numbers, stainless strap,
    Last edited by Jh94; March 27th, 2013 at 07:36.

Re: Advice on first major watch purchase

save a bit more and get a nomos glashutte piece on ebay.

Could you please explain your reasoning?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Stop NOW......don't buy a single watch.

NEVER GET ADDICTED BECAUSE IT NEVER ENDS

:)
    Jh94 and dannyking like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jh94 View Post
    Hi,

I'm very new to using forums, so if I am posting incorrectly, please correct me.

I am a 19 year old college student looking to invest in a watch that I can wear and enjoy for a long time.

I have always admired fine watches, but I have never really been able to afford one. Now that I have been able to save some money, I am looking to use some of it to invest in a watch that I can use for years, and maybe one day even pass on to a loved one. I have worked hard for every dollar I have, so I am looking to get as much watch as I can for the money.

I would like to spend less than $2,000 - but under $1500 would be even better.

I really like Omega watches, but I don't want to limit myself to those alone. I have looked a lot at used speedmasters, but I am not sure if that is the best idea for me. I love the look and history of speedys, but I also like Tag and Breitling watches.

I love mechanical watches, but I don't know if I can afford the maintenance/repairs associated with that type of movement.

So basically I am looking for something that is:

Under $2,000, ideally under $1,500

A timeless design, preferably a black dial, sport watch that could look as good with a white tee as with a dress shirt

A respected name among enthusiasts

Mechanical or Quartz movement? I'm afraid of expensive repairs

A watch that isn't going to depreciate 50% the second I put it on my wrist (why I am interested in buying used)

What kind of watch do you think I should look at? Grey market or certified retailer? Does a watch like this even exist?

Thanks

edit: Preferably a Chronograph, Arabic numbers, stainless strap,
    Have a look at Tag Heuer Carrera models. They start from $1800 new from various online retailers. You could get some very good used ones well under your budget.

Since you are very young and there is much more to come, I suggest you to look for some nice entry level watches like the Hamilton Khaki King Auto and others in the Hamilton and Tissot range like the Tissot PRS200 chronograph (Quartz) and Tissot PRC516 series, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Hamilton Mechanical Officer.

You might also find a very condition Omega SMP quartz or auto (used) within your budget. Also, have a look the Logines Hyderoconquest (new), Oris TT1 (new), and Logines Legend Diver (used).

Actually to be honest, the options just keep growing. Have a look around pick the one that you like the most. Just my $0.02 !
    Last edited by dannyking; March 27th, 2013 at 09:29.

Some Pictures to back up my previous suggestions:
    Attachment 1024517
    Hamilton Mechanical Officer
    Attachment 1024518
    Tissot PRS516 (borrowed from WUS)
    Attachment 1024520
    Tissot PRC200 Chronograph Quartz
    Attachment 1024521
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Watermark likes this.

Welcome to the hobby!

It sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what you are looking for, but still have some indecision. Based on that, I would recommend picking up an item well below your budget. This thread already has some good suggestions for pieces that can be purchased brand new well under $1,000. Why not dip your toes into the pool with something a little less expensive. If you don't like it, just flip it and shoot for something else.
    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

my $0.02 would be never to refer to a watch as an investment. at best it's a depreciating asset, much like a car.

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your advice! I took it to heart, and decided to start with something much less expensive.

I ended up deciding on the Victorinox Officers Chrono, I was able to buy it from the REI online outlet for $260.00 after using a member discount. I think I got the last one! The unconditional 100% satisfaction guarantee from REI made it an easy decision.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	1032748

I plan to use the money I saved to continue building my collection, saving, and eventually buy a new Speedy pro in a couple years.

What do you think of my decision?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by elbhombre View Post
    Welcome to the hobby!

It sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what you are looking for, but still have some indecision. Based on that, I would recommend picking up an item well below your budget. This thread already has some good suggestions for pieces that can be purchased brand new well under $1,000. Why not dip your toes into the pool with something a little less expensive. If you don't like it, just flip it and shoot for something else.
    Watermark likes this.

Thread Information