WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Advice on Hermes/Jean Renet please

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  ari.seoul 
#1 ·
Hi. I need advice on a watch, if anyone can help please...?

I have a Hermes "Kelly" watch, circa 1980's. My particular query is regarding the manufacturer. The watch face is marked with the Hermes logo at the top, and below the fingers is the manufacturer's name: Jean Renet. I know this is a highly regarded vintage watchmaker, but I've never seen a manufacturer's name on other Kelly watches, only the Hermes name... I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why this would be, and whether this is likely to affect the valuation of the watch - either way! Any replies gratefully received. Many thanks.

Francoise

#2 ·
I've come across quite a few Hermes Kelly watches, but I've never seen one with "Jean Renet" inscribed on the dial,
do you have pics?

I'm wondering if this is an Hermes Kelly watch, or perhaps a Jean Renet watch ... you're talking about the padlock watch, yes?

if you have pics, please post them,
hopefully we can help shed some light

#3 ·
Hi. Many thanks for your reply. Yes, it's an Hermes "padlock" watch. It's exactly like other gold plated Kelly watches I've seen, the Hermes logo on the face, the "H" on the side of the winder, leather strap marked Hermes, gold plated stamp on the fastening buckle, number on the bottom of the padlock, original leather pouch and Hermes box... the only difference is the name Jean Renet, also on the face. I wonder whether it was made by Jean Renet for Hermes (or vice versa)? I've seen vintage watches by Jean Renet advertised for sale, but can't seem to find any information about this manufacturer! Am not very technical, but hope to post some pictures this evening...! Thanks again.

#4 ·
Hi Again. Here are some photos of the Hermes Kelly watch, clearly showing the Hermes logo at the top and the name "Jean Renet" underneath. Can anyone tell me why both names appear (presumably it's been made by one of them for the other?), and how this may affect the value of the watch - i.e. whether showing the manufacturer's name may add or detract from the fact that it is an "Hermes" watcch? Most grateful for any replies. Many thanks.

Francoise

Fashion accessory Brass Jewellery Material property Rectangle
Watch accessory Watch Strap
Birkin bag Tan Handbag Bag Fashion accessory
Fashion accessory Perfume

#5 ·
I hope this doesn't upset you Francoise, but there's a distinctly kinky feel to that watch...
As to your question, Iam afraid I can't hep.

#8 ·
I mean that it looks like a bdsm cuff.

#9 ·
Hi Francoise,

I'm not an authority/expert on Hermes - I do have my share of experience buying/selling Hermes watch (and other products) over the years,

that said, from my perspective this is not looking so good.

I've never seen a Kelly watch with that dial, and the box is fake,
the logo doesnt seem right as well

the dial (and box) not having the word Hermes, but a subtle hint that it's suppose to be indicates the product not wanting to be found out it's a Hermes brand/fake

and I really have no idea what connection does Jean Renet have with the Hermes Kelly watch

I've attached a photo of what the Hermes horse/carriage logo on a box should look like

Text Orange Font Logo Graphics

#10 ·
Wow, what a shock to read those comments. I've had it many years (although it's been in a drawer the last 10 yrs) but I never imagined it could be fake! I see that only the logo, and not the word Hermes is there, but thought this may be because it was made by Jean Renet (and therefore marked with his name) for Hermes. After a little research, it seems that Jean Renet is a well-renowned watchmaker, whose vintage jewellery is sought-after.

If this is a fake Hermes, anyone who knows the brand (obviously unlike me!), would know instantly that it's a fake without the word Hermes! Having looked at lots of Hermes Kelly watches on the internet, it's true that they do all have the word Hermes on the face, and not one had any other name apart from Hermes. Why would counterfeiters bother to mark it with the name of Jean Renet - which seems bizarre and looks even more conspicuous?!

I will have to try to have it verified somehow... Feeling pretty horrified and deflated! Am very grateful for the replies, thank you.

Francoise

#11 ·
it's a good idea to get it verified at a reliable source - like I said, I'm not an authority on Hermes watches, this is just an observation taken from my experience (I've been in the watch business for about 8 yrs and I've dealt with a variety of Hermes watches),

and my intention is definitely not to discourage or deflate your feeling, but in this case finding out the truth is more important, it'll help prevent future letdowns as well

so, from what I gather:
1. no information at all about a Jean Renet - Hermes collaboration
2. if this is a Jean Renet watch, then one would think having the Hermes logo would be a copyright infringement - so this raised the question if it's even a Jean Renet watch
3. if this is an Hermes watch, it's very odd that there is no mentioning of the word Hermes on the watch or the box ... and why would Jean Renet be written on the dial
4. that Hermes logo on the dial and the box is a known fake logo

about Jean Renet being sought after ... it's very possible if there's a lot of collectors who highly regard Jean Renet,
but you can go to ebay and search for "jean renet" and look at some past sold listings - it'll give you an idea how much people are willing to pay for a Jean Renet watch -

and my own personal opinion is that it's not that sought after - I'm saying this not to further deflate your feeling, but in the oft-chance that someone would offer you a Jean Renet watch, you might want to do some research on the price first (eBay's a good starting point)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.