Advice on Mechancal watches. Maurice Lacroix vs Tissot
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice on Mechancal watches. Maurice Lacroix vs Tissot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Advice on Mechancal watches. Maurice Lacroix vs Tissot

Good evening gentlemen,

I am new here and have a new found obsession with Mechanical watches, ever since my dad gifted me a Bucherer pocket watch.
    I have since decided to buy a more modern, mechanical wrist watch. I like to see the inner workings of the modern watches, so decided on a skeleton type watch and I picked out a Tissot Complication at first.

I do not know much about watches at all. I have never owned a high end watch. So I picked this TISSOT and apparently it's at the lower end of the spectrum according to replies here on this forum. Sooooo, I started looking at Maurice Lacroix watches , which are also probably considered lower end of the spectrum, considering , I have looked at watches that cost as much as a quarter million dollars all the way up to 900 thousand. Needless to say, I am not in a position to purchase a watch that would encompass a large portion of my lifes savings. lol
    Including the house, The boat, both cars, the motorcycles, and the family dog.

But I have decided to up the anti from 1500.00 to 8000.00

This watch is my second choice which I think is far nicer than the Tissot. I think this one would suit me just fine as a nice time piece.
    I would like to find the Jewel count, and also if anyone has any experience with this watch, any advice would be appreciated.
    This one is about 6000.00, but I'm not so sure it's worth the money. It is pretty though.

Name:  MAURICE.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  245.7 KB

Re: Advice on Mechancal watches. Maurice Lacroix vs Tissot

Quote Originally Posted by DayWatchMan View Post
    Good evening gentlemen,

I am new here and have a new found obsession with Mechanical watches, ever since my dad gifted me a Bucherer pocket watch.
    I have since decided to buy a more modern, mechanical wrist watch. I like to see the inner workings of the modern watches, so decided on a skeleton type watch and I picked out a Tissot Complication at first.

I do not know much about watches at all. I have never owned a high end watch. So I picked this TISSOT and apparently it's at the lower end of the spectrum according to replies here on this forum. Sooooo, I started looking at Maurice Lacroix watches , which are also probably considered lower end of the spectrum, considering , I have looked at watches that cost as much as a quarter million dollars all the way up to 900 thousand. Needless to say, I am not in a position to purchase a watch that would encompass a large portion of my lifes savings. lol
    Including the house, The boat, both cars, the motorcycles, and the family dog.

But I have decided to up the anti from 1500.00 to 8000.00

This watch is my second choice which I think is far nicer than the Tissot. I think this one would suit me just fine as a nice time piece.
    I would like to find the Jewel count, and also if anyone has any experience with this watch, any advice would be appreciated.
    This one is about 6000.00, but I'm not so sure it's worth the money. It is pretty though.

Name:  MAURICE.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  245.7 KB
    In house movement in house made case but it can be had I believe for less . You will get clobbered on resale but it looks good. Some here will say ML suffers from an image issue that you can see them sold on tv (both true to a certain extend ) . Most here will say buy a Rolex a speedy pro or a GS but in the end buy what you want.
    Would I spend 6k on a ML, no I would not but I tend to flip watches. Would I buy one at a greatly reduced price , yes without hesitation
    Good luck in ur search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmanlay View Post
    In house movement in house made case but it can be had I believe for less . You will get clobbered on resale but it looks good. Some here will say ML suffers from an image issue that you can see them sold on tv (both true to a certain extend ) . Most here will say buy a Rolex a speedy pro or a GS but in the end buy what you want.
    Would I spend 6k on a ML, no I would not but I tend to flip watches. Would I buy one at a greatly reduced price , yes without hesitation
    Good luck in ur search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Someone find me this watch at a reduced price!!!
    Im all in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like ML watches a lot, I would suggest you check the gray market for discounts. Have you seen the Ebel BTR chronos? They are really well made, unique and have an interesting Lemania based movement.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Name:  0.-Maurice-Lacroix-Pontos-S-Extreme-Fisker-HEAD-Copy.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  183.3 KB

I like ML. I had a piece from the masterpiece line that was quite nice.

I would buy the above piece in a heartbeat if it was 42mm or under. 43.5mm is pushing it though. Looks gorgeous though.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The red would turn me off very soon. The more exquisite way to go would be a Chronoswiss Opus.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Maybe list some other features you are fond of or want to avoid, apart from a skeletonised case.

You have a great budget and can get a serious piece of that kind of money. IMO, there are better choices than ML at this level, however that is a nice watch nonetheless. So if that's your favourite then get a good deal and buy it :)

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Just be aware an infatuation with skeleton watches is quite often a 'phase' collectors go through. With this watch in particular I'd be concerned you may come to regret the decision - it's definitely not what I'd call a timeless, classic design. That being said, taste is, of course, subjective. Just my two cents.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

did not realize this is the chrono model of the masterpiece squelette collection so 6 K would be a great price knowing the cough cough msrp is 17
    if you want to go non chrono since chrono on a skeleton is basically impossible to read then there is a certain grey dealer that start with GEM and finishes with NATION that sells the non chrono version for 3.9K

Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette Mens Watch Model: MP7228-PVB01-002

or here

https://www.prestigetime.com/item/Ma...ss001-000.html

also really like the blue one

Watch : MASTERPIECE SKELETON | Maurice Lacroix

maybe consider the Zenith El prim chronomaster open heart: superb watch

Zenith | El Primero Chronomaster Open Power Reserve | AuthenticWatches

Name:  el.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  280.2 KB

what others have said is true though you can get quickly bored w skeleton watches but up to you.
    good luck in the chase
    slcbbrown likes this.

In my earlier days of Watch Collecting (mechanical Watches), I had a bit of a fascination for Skeleton Watches.

That changed not too long later.

I had even seriously considered the very same Tissot Squelette that you were (perhaps still are) considering purchasing.

Maurice Lacroix is a pretty good brand.

Their timepieces are, on average, several times higher than Tissot timepieces.

I have got nothing against Tissot. I have owned two Tissot watches over the years.

They represent good value-for-money, and I would have no qualms in recommending them.

I would echo several other Members' suggestion, to re-consider whether you should really purchase a Skeleton Watch.

Your budget will get you a very nice Watch.

Many of us here have made mistakes during our earlier days of collecting Watches.

My biggest mistake was not considering Rolex watches from day one. I could have saved tens of thousands of dollars, had I not had a silly disdain for the Rolex brand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information