Advice needed!
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Advice needed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice needed!

Advice needed!

For the past year or so, I've been going through this cycle of buying various watches and selling them because I just don't wear them enough.
    Let me give you an idea of what I've been through.

Watches that have been sold
    Huckleberry & Co Archibald Automatic - kickstarter watch, too thick for daily wear, kept bad time, sold
    Tissot Visodate - too reflective - sold
    Frederique Constant Classics Index 40mm Black Dial FC-303B5B6 - dial was a little too big for my liking, didn't enjoy the contrasting black dial with white date wheel
    Rolex Datejust 1600 (silver dial) - pretty much never wore it
    Seiko 5626 7120 Hi beat - pretty much never wore it

Watches currently in my collection
    Tudor Blackbay Blue ETA - i love the historial significance of the watch, sadly it's not often worn as it's just too thick, I've tried putting it on several straps and it just hasn't worked out; but it won't be sold since it was purchased after acheiving a personal milestone.
    Rolex Datejust 1600 (Grey dial) - not sure why I bought another 1600 since I didn't wear the previous one, the grey dial looks fantastic, but it's just not getting any wear, currently listed on WUS
    Omega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi Dial - just because it was limited edition and knowing it'd hold up in value it wasn't hard for me to pull the trigger on this one, since then it's been sitting in the safe
    Stowa Fleiger - my favourite time only pilot watch for the weekend, recently it's not getting any wear
    Vintage IWC cal 526 - my one and only vintage piece, it runs immaculately and the dial is impecable, it's been a solid daily for the office, but I'm hoping to retire it to become my special occasion dress watch.

It's come to a point now, where I'm rather lost and I feel like selling my entire collection (except for my BB Blue and IWC cal 526) to fund the purchase of a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 Black.
    It'll be a solid daily, but it'd certainly be sad to see the Stowa go.

Or alternatively sell all my watches BB Blue and IWC cal 526 included, and buy a swatch.Love to hear your comments and thoughts.
    Last edited by tommyjai92; August 20th, 2018 at 17:39.

Re: Advice needed! Thinking about selling off my collection

I fear your story is pretty typical - though nothing wrong with a little watch buying/selling. Sounds like you have plenty of cash on the hip but getting a bit fed up with it all - which is no bad thing...

Definitely get rid of the ones you'll never wear. By now you should have a fair idea of what you like. If not, don't spend any money until you do. Seems to me you're buying for the wrong reasons and need to really figure out what you could definitely live with long term. There's a lot more satisfaction that way and a lot less hassle. See, buy, meh, sell only results in frustration and boredom. It's a circle that needs to be broken.
    Last edited by Barry H; August 20th, 2018 at 11:07.

Re: Advice needed!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjai92 View Post
    Advice needed!For the past year or so, I've been going through this cycle of buying various watches and selling them because I just don't wear them enough. Let me give you an idea of what I've been through.Watches that have been soldHuckleberry & Co Archibald Automatic - kickstarter watch, too thick for daily wear, keep bad time, soldTissot Visodate - too reflective - soldFrederique Constant Classics Index 40mm Black Dial FC-303B5B6 - dial was a little too big for my liking, didn't enjoy the contrasting black dial with white date wheelRolex Datejust 1600 (silver dial) - pretty much never wore itSeiko 5626 7120 Hi beat - pretty much never wore itWatches currently in my collectionTudor Blackbay Blue ETA - i love the historial significance of the watch, sadly it's not often worn as it's just too thick, I've tried putting it on several straps and it just hasn't worked out; but it won't be sold since it was purchased after acheiving a personal milestone.Rolex Datejust 1600 (Grey dial) - not sure why I bought another 1600 since I didn't wear the previous one, the grey dial looks fantastic, but it's just not getting any wear, currently listed on WUSOmega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi Dial - just because it was limited edition and knowing it'd hold up in value it wasn't hard for me to pull the trigger on this one, since then it's been sitting in the safeStowa Fleiger - my favourite time only pilot watch for the weekend, recently it's not getting any wearVintage IWC cal 526 - my one and only vintage piece, it runs immaculately and the dial is impecable, it's been a solid daily for the office, but I'm hoping to retire it to become my special occasion dress watch.It's come to a point now, where I'm rather lost and I feel like selling my entire collection (except for my BB Blue and IWC cal 526) to fund the purchase of a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 Black. It'll be a solid daily, but it'd certainly be sad to see the Stowa go.Or alternatively sell all my watches BB Blue and IWC cal 526 included, and buy a swatch.Love to hear your comments and thoughts.
    Got a headache simply by reading your post. And if the way you organize your watch buying is anything akin to your writing, I'll bet your watch buying experience is all over the place as well!

I went through your post and your for sale threads quickly and it more or less proved my point. Different styles, different price brackets different genre...

So, my first question for you: You purchased two plain bezel vintage Datejust which only differed by the dial color. Why did you do that?

Second question: Do you always wear a watch? You mentioned "you don't wear them enough" thus you're selling some of them. Which one (s) do you wear most?

Thirdly: Do watches fascinate you? In what ways? Are you attracted to watches because they are literally micro machines that works on your wrist? Or are they more or less wrist jewelry to you?

Until you can answer these questions to yourself I'm not even sure how anyone can help...

Just a little food for thought.

Btw, a photo of the watches you are selling/keeping will really help in threads like these.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like you have a bad case of buy-itis-- more fun buying than wearing. Too much searching for "good deals", instead of watches you want to wear. Also, sounds a bit like you're buying watches for resale, which makes wearing them a worry because wear-and-tear will lessen the value.

Get the datejust 39 and sell the rest. Then never look back and stay off the forum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Re: Advice needed! Thinking about selling off my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Barry H View Post
    getting a bit fed up with it all - which is no bad thing...
    Absolutely, with all the watches I've purchased, I've always had this 'if I could only make this ONE or two little changes' then it'd be a keeper.It feels like only the the 'grail type' watches have all the elements nailed - eg thickness of the case, size of the case, complications on the watch etc. Which I mean is expected since it's grail status...But nor will I ever be able to justify the price of something like an ALS Saxonia.I just feel the watch industry does understand what consumers want, yet they use this information to market watches in a way, they keep consumers wanting more or wanting a step up.For example, Black bay series, they could've easily made a smaller case and lug width from the get go, which would've been much more competitive in against Rolex Dive watches.However they chose not to, instead they release iteration after iteration of the black bay at 41mm with a 22mm lug width, before they finally release the fifty eight.Release schedules like this are plain let down for consumers.
    Last edited by tommyjai92; August 21st, 2018 at 09:17.

Allow me to apologise haha, I thought copying the text from a Sticky note would keep the formatting. Didn't realise the issue until I was reading all your comments. Problem solved!

1) I purchased the first 1600 because it was offered at a good price, but after wearing it for a few times on my wrist, I just wasn't that into it. A few months (maybe a good half year actually) down the line, I was hoping to get a Datejust 41 and the grey dial just looked stunning. I tried it at an AD several times and felt the watch a little big for my wrist, I felt the price was a little hard to stomach. So I thought, what if it was a vintage Grey datejust, the price was easy to stomach and it was smaller than the Datejust 41, problems solved! Fortunate enough I found one on WUS and purchased it.

I'll be dead honest, to me the grey dial looked and still looks amazing, its like grey satin and the wrist presence is completely different to the silver 1600. But since I'm working in an asian country, there's a certain stigma that comes with wearing a Rolex. So Ive been quite cautious with who I wear it in front of, over time I've just migrated it wearing the vintage IWC since it flies under the radar a lot better.

2) Yes, so due to the humid weather in Asia, recently I've just been wearing the BB Blue on a rubber strap

3) I think I'm mainly interested in clean simple designs. Watches like the OP 39, Datejust 41, ALS Saxonia interest me.

I'll be sure to post photos later!
    Last edited by tommyjai92; August 20th, 2018 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
    Also, sounds a bit like you're buying watches for resale, which makes wearing them a worry because wear-and-tear will lessen the value.
    I guess I have two approaches, one with watches I intend to sell, one with watches I intend to keep.

I only properly use my BB Blue, Vintage IWC and Stowa Fleiger; that's because I never really had or have the intention of selling them.
    To me scratches and dings like are almost like little memories of places I've been to, or things I've done with the watch. Polishing away those scratches or babying watches you intend to keep to me is counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
    Get the datejust 39 and sell the rest. Then never look back and stay off the forum.
    Haha I was very very close to buying a Datejust 41 Grey dial smooth bezel. But recently I feel the OP 39 in black is a clear winner over the Datejust

What amazes me about this thread is that the buyer didn't seem particularly enthusiastic about any of the watches he bought, and certainly wasn't willing to accept a few differences that bothered him.

That's so unlike me, who has bought over 500 watches in my life and fell in love with all of them, changing only when something better or more interesting caught my eye but exceeded my budget - so out would go the ones I needed to sell (but still loved) - to make the new purchase.

And yet, there were a few watches I sold and eventually re-bought: a Longines Master Collection chrono, an Ebel Sportwave, a Patek Calatrava, an Omega SMP, and several Subs and GMT II's, as well.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information