Advice Needed: Ebay Transaction Problems with Tag Heuer
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Advice Needed: Ebay Transaction Problems with Tag Heuer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    swo

Advice Needed: Ebay Transaction Problems with Tag Heuer

Hi Guys,

I am seeking some honest advice about a situation I am encountering with an Ebay transaction.

I purchased a Tag Heuer watch, basic Automatic with 2824-2. The seller is had a no return policy and provided some images of the piece as certain angles.

Upon receiving the piece, I noticed that the serial number has been removed, and deliberately so (not in a manner where it rubbed off due to age and some areas are still visible). He did have a picture of the back but at an angle in where the serial number on an older piece may be not clearly visible.

I contacted the seller and have made every attempt to be amicable and resolve things in good faith. The sellers stance is that since it is a "no return" auction and he provided pics of the timepiece, he has no obligation to process a return.

My point of view, is that he should have disclosed that the serial number had been removed from the timepiece. Regardless of obligation, would it not make sense for him to take it back and refund me. I was the only bidder on the item and it is relatively low-cost piece. I hate to leave him a negative feedback, but he just does not seem to care that this bothers me and in no way is interested in researching a amicable resolution.

I payed with Paypal by the way.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have and please feel free to tell me if you feel I am over-reacting about the removal of serial number.

Thanks Folks!!!

Re: Advice Needed: Ebay Transaction Problems with Tag Heuer

I would contact Paypal and advise them of the situation, you have buyer protection in place and it could be that the timepiece may not be authentic. In any event the item was not proper described... I have had a similar issue and I was advised to return the timepiece with tracking and signature confirmation, and forward all of my information to paypal. The fact that the seller does not have a return policy is not an issue as far as paypal is concerned.
    Perseus and Tsar Bomba like this.

No returns doesn't mean much on eBay anymore. You can file a dispute as an item significantly not as described, and say that he should have noted that the serial number was removed. Be prepared to provide documentation, but you would likely win. Just figure out if it's worth it....
    RotaryRider likes this.
    Rolex GMT Master IIc 116710
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Squadra Hometime 7008120
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Mad Cow
    Breitling Blackbird A44359
    Breitling Airwolf a78363
    Breitling Aerospace Avantage E79362
    Panerai Luminor Marina 104
    Glashutte Original Sport Evolution Panorama Date
    IWC Aquatimer 3548
    Tag Heuer Monaco CAW2114

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think he mislead you in anyway imo.I am sure he thought the serial numbers were not that big of a deal,hell lots of watches come without serial numbers.If it was that big of a deal to you,you should have asked.If you do file a complaint with ebay,you can say the watch came with poop on the dial,and you will win the dispute.I really don't think ebay even reads the sellers counter points anyway,and sides with the buyer 99.9999% of the time.
    Mike

No personal experience, but I have read from others that some grey market resellers rub off the serial numbers. It is possible that this eBay seller bought the watch like this.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

swo

Quote Originally Posted by mikeynd View Post
    I don't think he mislead you in anyway imo.I am sure he thought the serial numbers were not that big of a deal,hell lots of watches come without serial numbers.If it was that big of a deal to you,you should have asked.If you do file a complaint with ebay,you can say the watch came with poop on the dial,and you will win the dispute.I really don't think ebay even reads the sellers counter points anyway,and sides with the buyer 99.9999% of the time.
    I would be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt if his main operation wasn't selling watches, including other Tag Heuers. It's one thing if a timepiece is not manufactured with a serial number and another of the numbers are intentionally removed.

But okay, let's say it was a misunderstanding. Why not take it back. I was the only bidder on the auction so it is not as if I caused him to miss an opportunity with another buyer.

Additionally, I think it is just as much his responsibility to disclose the information as it is mine to ask. I am being accountable and offering to pay for all shipping, etc. He however feels that his no returns policy absolves him of any recourse.

I honestly feel bad for leaving negative feedback and have made every effort to allow him to help himself (because I know that EBay will likely find in my favor). But if he does not have enough forethought to understand the consequences, what can I do?

swo

Quote Originally Posted by mikeynd View Post
    I would be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt if his main operation wasn't selling watches, including other Tag Heuers. It's one thing if a timepiece is not manufactured with a serial number and another of the numbers are intentionally removed.

But okay, let's say it was a misunderstanding. Why not take it back. I was the only bidder on the auction so it is not as if I caused him to miss an opportunity with another buyer.

Additionally, I think it is just as much his responsibility to disclose the information as it is mine to ask. I am being accountable and offering to pay for all shipping, etc. He however feels that his no returns policy absolves him of any recourse.

I honestly feel bad for leaving negative feedback and have made every effort to allow him to help himself (because I know that EBay will likely find in my favor). But if he does not have enough forethought to understand the consequences, what can I do?

Paypal will help you with that try take a lot of photos too. I bought a lot of products of eBay and got the bad product many time too bad I couldn't return it because the return shipping is too costly :(

There's nothing wrong with leaving honest feedback, so don't worry about that. You can file a claim, but you may not get anywhere given that a removed serial number doesn't necessarily mean there is an issue with the watch. Years ago it was common for gray market sellers to remove serial numbers so they did not reveal the identity of their sources. I would feel very similar in the same situation, so I hope that whatever choice you make, it turns out satisfactory in the end. I also hope you got a great deal on the watch.
    - Greg

Connect with me on Instagram:

If he won't budge, open a dispute with paypal.

Tell them, to you, as a collector, you will not accept any watch without a serial #, or with it rubbed off, because it tells you that it's a probable fake.

Unless you want to put out the cash to get it checked, get a refund. You'll find another one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information