Advice needed on first proper watch

Thread: Advice needed on first proper watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice needed on first proper watch

Hi all,
    I am looking for some advice on what I should get for my first proper watch:

I am after something that will do me 2-3 years and then I can hopefully trade in to step up to something like an Omega Seamaster 300m. My eventual goal is the Planet Ocean 220950 which I have already had my eye on for a few years, but it is still far out of my price range at the minute, but it wll hopefully give an idea as to the style I am looking for. I would also prefer an automatic, but I dont really have solid reasoning for this. I intend this to be a 'stepping-stone' to bigger things in the not too distant future.

My budget is £200-£300 (~$500 I reckon). Is there going to be anything in this price range that will be worthwhile trading in in a few years, new or second hand?

Another issue is size. I currently have a cheap Zeitner (I was young and foolish) which size is about perfect for my small wrist, and was said to be 38mm, so something similar is what I am looking for.

I wear a watch every day pretty much all day, so robustness is very important too. Finally, I want a steel braclet.

The Rotary 300B is the only thing I have found so far which seems to meet my requirements, but Im not totally convinced on resell value or indeed its appearence.

So, can anyone recommend either new or second hand watches that would match as many of the above points as possible? Advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by adam197; November 16th, 2008 at 04:37.

Re: Advice needed on first proper watch

adam197,

I'm sure there will be alternatives, but there is no watch that can replace the Planet Ocean if that is the one you're eyeing for. Untill you have saved the funds, and if I were you I'd buy the watch you like best without worrying if it will sell at a good price once the Omega comes in sight.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Watchuseek Admin View Post
    adam197,

I'm sure there will be alternatives, but there is no watch that can replace the Planet Ocean if that is the one you're eyeing for. Untill you have saved the funds, and if I were you I'd buy the watch you like best without worrying if it will sell at a good price once the Omega comes in sight.
    Seconded. If this is the watch of your dreams don't go with a interim solution unless it is a Stowa Kleine Sekunde or Stowa Antea which should fit your wrist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko Alpinist SARB015. 39mm, it's a Seiko, so it's pretty much bullet proof, and you won't lose your shirt on resale. IMO, it's a watch you can wear in any situation and look good. They pop up on the secondary market occasionally, but if you're looking for new, I'd try Japan based sellers Seiya or Higuchi. Good luck!

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Maybe take a look at an Ollech and Wajs ID3077 or Cougar. A nice Swiss made watch using an Eta 2824 2 Movement.
    Here's my orange dialed ID3077. This model is available with a black dial.

Best regards from sunny England
    Mark.

Have you tried the PO on? I was set on one and once I tried it on I was turned off. It was not comfortable on my wrist. The back of the case did not sit right. I ended up getting a Black SMP as it looked great and sits really nice on the wrist. It can be had for a lot less. I'm a quartz lover and picked mine up for $1,300 new the autos can be had for $1600 new. I would say save up and get what you want the first time.
    Rolex GMT 1675
    Rolex GMT 16750
    Seiko SKX007J
    Seiko 6309 7049
    Seiko Arnie H558
    Seiko Tuna SBBN017
    Suunto Vector
    To many G-Shocks

Thanks everyone for the replies.

To clarify my situation, Im currently a student 4 years through a 5 year university degree, so money is a concern and unfortunately it will be at least a couple of years into full time employment before I could even consider spending Planet Ocean type money.

I thought slowly building up by trading in a few times may be the best option to both having something respectible, and not feeling as guilty spending large amounts of money on a watch, but understand that each time I trade in I would probably be taking a price hit so it may be cheaper in the long run to just save for the PO as suggested.

I do however need (want) something respectible in the mean time. A watch is the only piece of jewellery / accessory I wear, and although what I have at the moment looks ok, I know its an inferior product.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalther
    Seiko Alpinist SARB015.
    That is very much the style I am looking for. I had a brief look at some Seikos before posting here, but hadnt seen that model.

Thanks again, and if there are any others you think I should consider please post.

If that's your first price range entering the watch world then thats a good start because like myself I would imagine as you continue to research and learn your price cieling will soon triple and you can get a great piece for $1500 (750 pound's) and an awesome used/grey mrkt one.

Quote Originally Posted by HYST13 View Post
    Maybe take a look at an Ollech and Wajs ID3077 or Cougar. A nice Swiss made watch using an Eta 2824 2 Movement.
    Here's my orange dialed ID3077. This model is available with a black dial.
    Thanks I'll have a look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTap
    Have you tried the PO on? I was set on one and once I tried it on I was turned off. It was not comfortable on my wrist. The back of the case did not sit right. I ended up getting a Black SMP as it looked great and sits really nice on the wrist. It can be had for a lot less. I'm a quartz lover and picked mine up for $1,300 new the autos can be had for $1600 new. I would say save up and get what you want the first time.
    I havent had a chance to try either on as I dont really like wasting peoples' time when I wouldnt be buying, but I probably should do that. It will be some time however before I can think of spending >$1000

Quote Originally Posted by car guy
    If that's your first price range entering the watch world then thats a good start because like myself I would imagine as you continue to research and learn your price cieling will soon triple and you can get a great piece for $1500 (750 pound's) and an awesome used/grey mrkt one.
    If I didnt have 4 years of student debt, and another on the way, I could perhaps warrant spending that amount at present. Unfortunately that isnt the case and I feel that minimising debt at the moment is more beneficial in the long run than a great watch, but as I have said before, I feel for my budget I should be able to get something reasonably respectable that will do until the time comes where I have been working a few years and fancy treating myself. ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information